1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I need some advice

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Ty's Taco, Apr 18, 2009.

1. Apr 18, 2009 at 12:07 PM
    Ty's Taco

Ty's Taco [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prerunner SR5 Sport Pearl Black
    Ask visa or my wife. They both constantly remind me how much I've got left to spend.
    My boxer got out of his crate in the garage the other night and scratched up my tailgate pretty bad. It was just into the clearcoat so I took some advice I had seen from another DIY post about how to correct these scratches. I got some heavy cut compound and after washing I compounded and the scratches came out well. However now I have really bad swirl marks in the finish and I've tried everything to get them out but nothing works. I've waxed with Black Magic liquid gold and even use the Toyo Guard polish on it but it still has dull swirl marks all over it. I'm considering using a clay bar on it but I wanted to see if some kind soul could help me before I make this any worse.

2. Apr 18, 2009 at 12:09 PM
    Buzzoff

Buzzoff Don't go ninja'in nobody don't need ninja'in

Member:
    The Nickel/5th Ward
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma DC TRD Speedway Blue
    Blacked out windows, 5100's@1.75", KMC XD Hoss795 16x8
    Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm. I was going to suggest a clay bar. Good luck

3. Apr 18, 2009 at 12:17 PM
    Ty's Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Ask visa or my wife. They both constantly remind me how much I've got left to spend.
    I have an 09 and have only had it abouty three months so I didn't want to do anything to drastic and kill my clearcoat. I also have the toyoguard on it and wasn't sure if the clay bar would damage it.

4. Apr 18, 2009 at 12:27 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    you have to get a compound that is finer than that of the rubbing compound,nothing that you can get from wally world. It comes in a liguid, if I remember correctly in the 1000 grit and finishing in the 1500 to 2500 grit range(it's a liquid)and higher for that mirror finish. and you really need an electric or air powered buffer that can change out pads between different grit numbers.it's a do it yourself job that requires specific tools and a spray bottle with clean water to keep the clear coat cool durring aplication, with that said, call a good body shop get a quote remove the tail gate drop it off on Monday pick it up on tuesday, stop at home depot and buy a lock for the dog kennel and never have to do it again. Watch trucks on spike network, they did a show 2 weeks ago about buffing an entire truch at home using those basic tools and it made a world of difference. I don't think a body shop will drag you over the coals but if you do go that route, just make sure the polishing compound they use is entirely off the gate, once it dries it can be a bi*ch to remove(it's liguid clay) for the most part. Hope this helps

5. Apr 18, 2009 at 12:35 PM
    Ty's Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Tyler
    Sweet home Alabama
    Vehicle:
    Monkey I appreciate the info, that really helps out. My crate has a lock on it but I had a brain fart and just didn't lock it good. I'll probably go the pro route and let a body shop see what they can do but I will try to get that show on trucks if it is online. If I find it I will leave a link on this thread for others.

Products Discussed in

To Top