1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I need some job advice

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by jmasterj, May 21, 2009.

1. May 21, 2009 at 8:17 AM
    jmasterj

jmasterj [OP] Samsonite...I was way off!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road
    Alright my fellow TW members I need some advice....
    So I have been at this job for about 3 years and I really like my job for the most part except for my boss. I know alot more about my field than he does and most, if not all, come to me to fix their problems. If he tries he usually makes up some BS answer and doesn't do anything and I end up taking care of it later. He treats people like crap he has pissed off all of our vendors to the point of them not wanting to help us out anymore.

I want to leave and prove a point, but I am really stuck because I just bought a house and would have to lose the 8000 dollar stimulus and there are not a lot, if any, jobs in the immediate area. Do I sit it out and let things happen? It just bothers me so much that it is always on my mind and I am just miserable. It is just frustrating that he gets paid 3 times as much yet I do all the work and have the knowledge, but he takes and gets all the credit for it. Suggestions?

2. May 21, 2009 at 8:22 AM
    Hotdog

Hotdog My hair is all natural Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Hotdog
    Vehicle:
    2007 PreRunner SR5 Double Cab
    Wet Okole Underwear
    you should try to get your boss fired...j/k. Don't quit until you have another job.

3. May 21, 2009 at 8:24 AM
    oldtacomaguy

oldtacomaguy four forty four

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    SE Conn.
    Vehicle:
    08 SR-5 4WD Impulse Red Pearl
    Alpine deck and amp, Polk speakers front and rear, Kenwood subwoofer, windows tinted to 20%, Sockmonkey decals, TSB, Eibach springs and Bilstein 5100's
    Right now, in this economy I think your best bet is to hang in there and take care of your own financial needs. I have been in similar situations where just driving in to work I started to get stressed out. It's a terrible way to make a living, but just keep telling yourself it's a temporary situation. Keep your eyes open and look for another job. Don't quit until you've got something lined up. It's not what you want to hear, I know but we both know what the right thing to do in this situation is, right?

4. May 21, 2009 at 8:25 AM
    techgeekwill

techgeekwill Well-Known Member

Member:
    Spring, TX
    Vehicle:
    18 Inferno TRD OR DCSB
    Unfortunately, no matter where you go, your boss will still be a dumbass and still get paid to do almost nothing. If that's something you can't deal with, start your own company.

5. May 21, 2009 at 8:25 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    It sucks ALOT but choke it down and hang tough. You said it talking about not having alot of jobs around the area and having a new house...It's going to continue to cause you pain and heartburn if you leave now.

Work on lining something new up...and keep doing what you do- Things seem to have a way of coming around...Good luck!!

6. May 21, 2009 at 8:27 AM
    jasonh

jasonh tossed salad anyone?

Member:
    Dallas, TX.
    Vehicle:
    2007 Pre Runner SR5
    Billy 5100's
    never quit unless you have something lined up. everyone is replacable. by you quiting i dont think they will miss you to much. they can always find someone. not sayin you dont know your stuff. i would go to upper management.

7. May 21, 2009 at 8:31 AM
    JeffRock

JeffRock Well-Known Member

Member:
    Capital region, NY
    Vehicle:
    09 Tacoma accesscab 4x4 SR5 2.7L
    Toyota all weather floor mats. Mag light that clunks around in the jack compartment. Dog hair. Dog drool on the windows.
    Never quit unless you have an F.U. Account.
    thats an F&*K you account.
    where you have money stockpiled till you get another.

but yeah, most people are dicks.
    If this guy is that bad, he will probably get fired sooner or later.

8. May 21, 2009 at 8:36 AM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Around
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    PS...Do keep your eyes open for things he does incorrectly and make sure you document any direct issues you have with him.

9. May 21, 2009 at 8:39 AM
    Richman21

Richman21 I think therefore I'm a Democrat

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Albuquerque, NM
    Vehicle:
    09 DC Sport PreRunner
    Hardwire radar detector. Tube steps.
    Can you go above him? I mean does he have a supervisor? Do other people feel the same as you that he is a dick? I would not quit a job unless it was so bad I couldn't stand it and had savings to last for six months.

10. May 21, 2009 at 8:41 AM
    Janster

Janster Old & Forgetful

Member:
    First Name:
    Jandy
    Lancaster, PA
    Vehicle:
    2016 GMC Canyon SLT w/ LineX and....
    In my own field - the bosses (supervisors) don't know *the field* like the people on the floor do. Those who work with the stuff on a daily basis know MUCH MORE (hands down) than the boss does. So - in a sense....You SHOULD know more than he does.

They just THINK they know more than you because they're the boss.

Whatever...:rolleyes:

Don't quit..... it's a bad time to quit any job right now unless you have something else to replace it with.

Unfortunately, a lot of people 'bite their tonque' and do it for many years without some sort of Atta-boy in return. That's the downside to jobs at times.

Honestly? This might sound stupid....
    But get a notebook and keep it hidden somewhere. Make notes to yourself about your bosses F'ups. Make notes about his performance and how it relates to you and your job. Make notes about him pissing off the vendors.
    Jot down everything. I dont' know if your company does co-worker type 'evaluations' or if you have another 'higher-up' that you can trust to talk to about this boss.....

Also - there's gotta be some LINE between his duties and your duties. Don't cross over that line (and refuse to sweep up his messes). If problems arise from something he did....make it known and put fault where fault is deserved.

Someday........all rightousness will be served upon you. Might take a while...be patient.

11. May 21, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    What he said.

I have worked for the same company for 29 years, I have had 50 to 100 managers and supervisors over this time period maybe more. I can count on one hand the number of these guys and gals that were worth a damn. Most if not all were fresh out of college and were going to change to world. Most of them lasted 6 months to a year before they got fired or moved on on their own. In all jobs will have good times and bad times. Ask yourself, is this company something you can see spending the rest of your working life at or is this just something for now.
    Good luck

12. May 21, 2009 at 8:49 AM
    Veccster

Veccster bass turds

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Pittsburgh - The City of Champions
    Vehicle:
    2020 Pro
    You will not get the manager to change and reporting him to higher-ups will only make you look bad. Either stick it out or look for a new one.

What's the job?
    What's the industry?
    How many years do you have in this industry?
    How many jobs have you had in your career?

Lots things are needed to determine your best action. If you only have a 3 years in this industry out of college, find a better company. If you have had 5 jobs in 10 years, stick it out because you are building serious turnover. Never leave a job without a job - look while you are employed. If you do find another job, be sure it is a stable company (last in is always first out when the company needs to "trim fat").

I'm a recruiter for mid to senior level positions in the insurance industry. We deal with this all the time. NEVER EVER bash your current manager as your reason for wanting to make a change. Say something like "it lacked advancement potential" or "the company didn't want to do what necessary to be successful". Both show that you are ambitious and want to make the company successful.

If you're in a professional position (finance, accounting, banking, etc), I'd be happy to review your resume for you.

13. May 21, 2009 at 8:50 AM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Tacoma OR (SOLD); 2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    Toytec TRD PRO LIFT with 1.5 SAW in rear, 255 Coopers, Baja Rack, Southern Style Front Bumper, Warn Wireless Winch, DeMello Sliders.
    What is it that you do? The job market is bad, but some professions are hiring. If you are in sales you can find job if you are good!

I couldn't stand going to work hating my boss...good thing I am the boss! I wonder if my people hate me...hmmm

14. May 21, 2009 at 10:08 AM
    jmasterj

jmasterj [OP] Samsonite...I was way off!

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Off Road
    As not to give too much away just in case. I work in the IT field with about 6-7 years experience. I'm sure everything happens for a reason and it will work out in the long run. I just needed to let off some steam I guess. Thanks all for the input.

Products Discussed in

To Top