1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I think I got screwed!!

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by badguybuster, May 8, 2009.

1. May 8, 2009 at 6:03 PM
    badguybuster

badguybuster [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Off Road SR5
    6000K HID Headlights 6000k HID Fog Lights Window visors (all 4) Tri-Fold Tonno Bedlined Rockers Bedlined Bumpers Bilstein 5100 Toytec 1/2" spacers 3" TSB Leafs and AAL's (Toytec) Differential 1" Drop Sway Bar Relocators BHLM Mod Debadged Pro Comp 7089s Hankook Dynapro 35" M/T's Billett Grill 55 watt fog lights in grill 55 watt fog lights on Pre-Runner Light Bar Rear Bilstein 5100's Flowmaster Super 10's Yellow Fog Light Mod Titanium Burl Wood Grain Dash Mod Leather Arm Rest Mod TRD Steering wheel Mod Painted Engine Cover Painted Fuse Box TRD Seat Belt Covers Bed Light Mod Extended/Braided Brake Lines Back up light mod
    Keep in mind I have had my truck for a couple years now but today I had it at a clients home. (I shoe horses for a living). The guy is a mechanic by trade. He was admiring all the work I have done on the Taco (I know, ego stroke). THEN he said something odd.........."When did you wreck this truck????" Wha.....huh....excu.....WHAT!!??? He noticed a spot where the fender and bumper meet are not aligned correctly (no big deal right?) then he tells me that the front axle had been replaced!!!! Now, when I bought the truck, I got a car fax and that was not on there. Curious, right?

2. May 8, 2009 at 6:04 PM
    eordonez

eordonez Living vicariously through mjp2

Member:
    First Name:
    Ed
    Chihuahua, Mexico
    Vehicle:
    TRD Sport Dcab 4x2 Black Sand Pearl
    OEM All Weather Mats, wheel locks, Toyota Silver Tube steps.....
    damn, how long ago did you get the truck?

3. May 8, 2009 at 6:05 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma standard cab
    15% tinted back window, 25% on sides. Jardine catback exhaust system. horn modification, AFE pro dry S filter and secondary filter removed. All weather toyota tacoma mats.
    man, that sucks. id see if i could investigate further if I were you

4. May 8, 2009 at 6:06 PM
    badguybuster

Member:
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Off Road SR5
    6000K HID Headlights 6000k HID Fog Lights Window visors (all 4) Tri-Fold Tonno Bedlined Rockers Bedlined Bumpers Bilstein 5100 Toytec 1/2" spacers 3" TSB Leafs and AAL's (Toytec) Differential 1" Drop Sway Bar Relocators BHLM Mod Debadged Pro Comp 7089s Hankook Dynapro 35" M/T's Billett Grill 55 watt fog lights in grill 55 watt fog lights on Pre-Runner Light Bar Rear Bilstein 5100's Flowmaster Super 10's Yellow Fog Light Mod Titanium Burl Wood Grain Dash Mod Leather Arm Rest Mod TRD Steering wheel Mod Painted Engine Cover Painted Fuse Box TRD Seat Belt Covers Bed Light Mod Extended/Braided Brake Lines Back up light mod
    I have had the truck for 2 years and she is a dandy but still, this is something I should have been told. I am going to contact the dealership where I got it and see what they have to say.

5. May 8, 2009 at 6:07 PM
    beastlytaco

beastlytaco This is TW. One never knows what is a joke anymore

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    Vehicle:
    08 tacoma standard cab
    15% tinted back window, 25% on sides. Jardine catback exhaust system. horn modification, AFE pro dry S filter and secondary filter removed. All weather toyota tacoma mats.
    Is there a possiblity of them buying back the truck or compensatiing you in any way?

6. May 8, 2009 at 6:11 PM
    Plain Jane Taco

Plain Jane Taco POST WHORE M0DERATOR

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    USA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB TRD Sport PR
    Why does he think the front "axle" was replaced?

7. May 8, 2009 at 6:16 PM
    mmjcarr

mmjcarr Well-Known Member

Member:
    Eagan, MN
    Vehicle:
    2002 PreRunner SR5 DoubleCab 2WD
    ARE Tonneau Cover, Westin Chrome Running Boards
    Man - That sucks. I don't mean to be a pessimistic. However, a friend of mine had a very similar situation happen and was told that it's possible the car fax wasn't up to date. He was also told that the car was sold "AS-IS" and that the dealer was not taking responsibility for anything.

He told the dealer's General Manager that he was seeking legal advise and he would see him in court. Basically, the dealer said "good luck with that" and told him to leave.

I wish you the best and I hope it works out for you.

M

8. May 8, 2009 at 6:27 PM
    Riceman

Riceman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ellijay, GA
    Vehicle:
    04 Ford Ranger FX4
    Don't freak. I drive a formerly wrecked truck, and have no problems with it. If you have had it for two years without problems, then you probably aren't going to encounter any.

9. May 8, 2009 at 6:30 PM
    ianham

ianham Active Member

Member:
  10. May 8, 2009 at 6:34 PM
    badguybuster

Member:
    West (by GOD) Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2008 Tundra Off Road SR5
    Yeah, I know but DAMN! I hate to think I got taken....I will FLIP out. I dont have the most "tolerant" temper. He said he could tell it was "newer" than the other axle and was not OEM. I am telling you, I will SPAZZZ.:infantry:

11. May 8, 2009 at 7:38 PM
    pataco

pataco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Down by the lake
    Vehicle:
    05 4x4 trd dc white
    FOX 2.0 RESIS,LRUCAS,BILLY 5100S ON THE REAR.MAGNAFLOW 11264,COLOR MATCHED GRILL,YELLOW FOG MOD.OVER HEAD DVD,FEDERAL COURAGIA M/T
    i just wonder if this machanic guy nos what hes talking about?what kind of machanic is he?body or engine?maybe just trying to get u wound up.just a thought.good luck.oh yeah those car fax things r not all that imo.

12. May 8, 2009 at 8:26 PM
    surfsupl

surfsupl Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregg
    WestCoast
    Vehicle:
    I DONT CARE IF IT'S A RE-POST
    Rear Diff Breather~ 5100's ~Fog Light Anytime~Tint~TRD Seat Covers~Weather Tech's~Pioneer H.U.~Lift~Eibach Springs~LED's......blah...blah...blah
    If a car or truck gets wrecked and it does not go through insurance claims,it will not show up on carfax.......so its about worthless...

13. May 8, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    grivera

grivera Well-Known Member

Member:
    Hanover, MD
    Vehicle:
    '08 DC SR5 4x4, Desert Sand Mica
    Rear Suspension TSB, Bilstein 5100 on all 4 corners-fronts set at 1.75". BFG A/T's @ 265/75/16; Access LE Roll-up cover; Iron Cross Tube SS Steps; Fumoto valve; WeatherTech Liners; AFE Pro-Dry; front side windows tinted 20%; TW Decal!
    At this point, how could you prove to the dealer that you didn't wreck it after you purchased it. 2 years is a long time. Good luck either way.

14. May 8, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    JimBeam

JimBeam BECAUSE INTERNETS!! Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    JB
    Vehicle:
    2014 DCSB TRD 4x4
    ok so my axles (im assuming you mean cv axles) are both different brands...neither of them being Toyota...my truck hasnt ever been wrecked

its entirely likely that the bumper is just out of whack...maybe didnt get put on quite right at the factory...must not be much if you didnt notice until 2 years after you bought the truck...and CV axles can bust on their own...

15. May 8, 2009 at 9:09 PM
    Naga418

Naga418 Member

Member:
    Houston Tx
    Vehicle:
    09' Tacoma AC 4wd 6sp TRD Offroad Pk
    Unless the dealer specifically stated in writing that the vehicle had not been repaired in any way (no dealer of a used vehicle would ever do this) you are on your own even if you purchased the vehicle last week. If the vehicle had obvious major repairs, frame damage, and or a salvage title you might have a case.
    Take it for what you like, but if it were me I would take it to a mechanic shop that I know and trust and have them give it a good once over front to back and then go back to driving your truck.

16. May 8, 2009 at 9:13 PM
    deadbeat son

deadbeat son Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, CO
    I had a car that was in the body shop 3 times due to 3 different accidents; all were covered by insurance. Carfax was clean. I even took it to the dealer's body shop. All of the warranty service visits to the dealer showed, but not the body work.

17. May 9, 2009 at 9:08 AM
    Russ

Russ New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD sport 4x4
    damn man that sucks, i had the same thing happen to me when I went to trade in my car for my Taco... It turns out before i bought it the whole left side of the car had been replaced, and there was frame damage. I had checked the carfax before I bought it and it was clean, when the dealer checked it it had "frame Damage" reported on it.

18. May 9, 2009 at 10:20 AM
    papabear050

papabear050 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    11 dc 4x4 TRD OR Auto
    sorry man.. sometimes ignorance is bliss.

19. May 9, 2009 at 10:36 AM
    Joe B

Joe B Well-Known Member

Member:
    I hit a deer with an '07 Camry XLE I had.
    Around $9K in damage and no record on CarFax a couple of months later when I got rid of it.
    CarFax is very good but not perfect.

20. May 9, 2009 at 11:07 AM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    You are overreacting.

First, who says that guy is correct or even has a clue what he's talking about?

Second, a bumper that's out of alignment could be just that: a bumper that's out of alignment. It happens. Maybe your truck was bumped by a little old lady in the Walmart parking lot.

Third, as Tigerfan said, CV axles can go on their own. Nothing surprising there.

If you haven't had a problem with the truck, I see no reason to be worried about it. But if it will make you feel better, go get it checked out at a different dealer than where you bought it.

And, like others have said, if an accident wasn't reported to insurance, it won't show up on Carfax. That's why you don't trust Carfax 100% and you get a used vehicle checked out by a trusted local mechanic before buying.

To Top