1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I want a supercharger!

Discussion in 'Performance and Tuning' started by UpstateTRDTaco, Oct 19, 2011.

1. Oct 19, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    Blacktacoma23

Blacktacoma23 If your tires don't rub you can fit bigger tires

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    CO
    Vehicle:
    2011 Mall Crawler/84'
    6" BDS DB, 37", Dirt King, Total chaos UCA's w/ Heims, Fox c/o's, 4-banger fenders, 37" Nittos, 4.88 w/ rear ARB, AP Expos, 17x9 Method beadlocks, cab mount relocation, "Insain fab" tub, 5% tint, 10" Rockford Fosgates, Magnaflow 18" custom catback exhaust, AFE intake, Trail Gear bumper, Crown brake lines F/R
    X2

2. Oct 19, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    :laugh: A valid response!

Does it need more power? Nah.

Would it be a bad thing? Not at all. I've said before I think this truck could do with the 4.6L they're sticking in the Tundra. I think it would even help around-town mileage a little bit. The 4.0L is a big fucking six and it puts out grunt like the V8s of yesteryear, but then the 2gen Taco is a big fucking truck that's the SIZE of V8-powered fullsizers of yesteryear.

Know what's actually the biggest thing keeping me from SC'ing mine? On the trail, that extra power would probably make me more prone to breaking driveline parts, and I don't need that. No kidding...that's the real reason.

3. Oct 19, 2011 at 8:57 PM
    Mtek

Mtek Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    TRD S/C Toytec OME 3", TRD Ivan Stewarts, 285 Yokohama
    I would rather have a little too much than too little is all I was pointing out. :cheers:

4. Oct 19, 2011 at 8:59 PM
    Mtek

Mtek Well-Known Member

Member:
    WA
    Vehicle:
    '11 TRD Sport DCSB 4x4
    TRD S/C Toytec OME 3", TRD Ivan Stewarts, 285 Yokohama
    Good reason, totally understand that. I have a mall crawler that sees some light duty trails is all. My reasoning would be diff if I actually wheeled this thing.

5. Oct 20, 2011 at 6:29 AM
    oshawa tacoma

oshawa tacoma Active Member

Member:
    I would say save up and do it once you have the cash in hand.

I find it funny that a good part of you think the taco is slow. I used to be a die hard mopar nut. I had two dakotas one a 5.2 V8 and the other a 4.7 V8. Both of those trucks are way slower than my newly purchased V6 taco 6 speed manual. And since I am more and more involved with chumpcar racing I am seriously considering selling my 350Z. Mostly because I dont drive it as much, it costs me $200 in isurance a month and I would love to free up the room in the garage. I am hoping the SC will replace some of the zoom in the taco once the Z leaves.

6. Oct 20, 2011 at 2:50 PM
    BrokenTusk

BrokenTusk I support a velociraptor free workplace.

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    It will :thumbsup:

7. Oct 20, 2011 at 3:15 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    Tacos are competitive by modern standards, but certainly not swift. Compared to fullsizers (especially the Tundra, but that 5.7L drinks fuel to match its grunt), they're relatively sedate.

The reason the V8 powered Dakotas were dogs is because the V8s were dogs (along with the tranny gearing). They were relatively reliable trucks, but what Mopar doesn't want discussed across the table is that they had to put a V8 in their l'il truck because it was a heavier fucker, undergeared, and needed a V8 to be competitive with V6 motors on the market.

That was then. Technology has progressed, modern V6s do what V8s used to do. And so on.

8. Oct 20, 2011 at 3:40 PM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    Check out the Torque App in my sig, fuck I love technology

9. Oct 20, 2011 at 8:41 PM
    extremachn1

extremachn1 I am an asshole, deal with it!

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BAD ASS SUPERCHARGED BEAST
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    Do the supercharger, especially if you wheel. You wont regret having the extra power on tap. I push/wheel the piss out of my truck and have no problem putting the engine on the rev limiter if thats what I need. I loved the supercharger but I love it even more now that I put the under drive pulley on it. It has the power it originally should have when first installed.

It wont win any races but I dont have it to win races. I get better milage with it (as long as I stay out of boost) it works better towing, is a beast offroad turning large heavy tires, and just sounds awesome when it spins up.

10. Oct 20, 2011 at 8:51 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    Again, because I wheel is the main reason I'm NOT putting a supercharger in.

Torque is better off coming from gears than the engine in offroad situations. Less breakage, and if there is some, it occurs at something less expensive to fix or replace than a transmission.

11. Oct 20, 2011 at 9:12 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    TRD S/C, TRD quick shifter, AFE CAI, Magnaflow cat back exhaust, Fox racing shocks, TC UCA, All-pro expo leafs, Bestop soft top, Wet Okole black seat covers, Scan gauge II.
    This all depends on the type of offroading you do as well. Plus your making the assumption that the transmission will be the problem. I have yet to hear of anyone with a s/c (unless running crazy power) tearing up there tranny. It is usually the rear diff that gernades and it happens on S/C and non S/C vehicles about equally.

The problem with only changing gears to get the desired offroad torque is the vehicle then becomes pretty unusable for daily, freeway, long distance driving.

I wouldnt get the supercharger exclusivly for offroading but if your looking to make your truck all around a better performer than I highly reccomend it.

12. Oct 20, 2011 at 9:24 PM
    jandrews

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    ...not really. A little bump in RPM isn't a huge deal, and honestly most trucks with upsized tires become more driveable after a regear because they aren't so sluggish.

If you want true crawling ability, gears or a supercharger alone (or together) aren't going to get you there, you need dual cases. When it comes to crawling, it's really not a desire for more torque, it's a desire for more torque with slower wheel speed.

Yes, the rear diff is definitely the weak link on these trucks as far as driveline if you run an automatic. Many of the older (2005/2006) manuals were FULL of problems - go check out TTORA for more on that. Toyota/Aisin has since changed many of the parts in the manuals to address the issues they never really admitted existed in the first place.

13. Oct 20, 2011 at 9:37 PM
    extremachn1

Member:
    First Name:
    Turd Furgison
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:

The joy of the supercharger is not needing a regear with an upsized tire because you dont ever experiance them being sluggish. Plus you get improved milage on top of it due to several factors... lower RPMs for a given speed and engine not working as hard.

Oh i know the 05's had issues. Thats why I dropped mine like a bad habit when the right deal came along.

I compeletly agree with you on the dual cases. If your building a purpose rig then the S/C is not the best choice, you need to go with gearing and cases. For me building an expo rig go 90% anywhere daily driver type rig the S/C was a natural choice. It gives the performance boost to offset the added weight of all the armor/tires and still gives close to stock milage if not better. Plus unless your running high boost it really dosent affect your reliability much either either, the parts that are prone to breakage are prone to breakage under non boosted applications as well. Plus if you do have a S/C problem you can actually remove the S/C belt and the engine will still run as a N/A engine to get you off the trail or home if need be.

14. Oct 25, 2011 at 4:09 PM
    Kodachrome

Kodachrome Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2005 Taco, 2021 Audi eTron GT
    TRD S/C, URD Galore
    I get paid to use my truck in 4wd and you could not be more incorrect. Having that much torque in the low end of the rpm range makes finessing over obstacles *much* easier than trying to shove the weight of a N/A truck over them.

Maybe if you actually wheeled for a living and lived where I do, you would see this too.

15. Oct 25, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    dear god, this is going to explode

16. Oct 25, 2011 at 4:12 PM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    ...... your truck is still aspirated... its never non aspirated... I believe the term your searching for is naturally aspirated..

17. Oct 25, 2011 at 4:26 PM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    I WANT A SUPERCHARGER!!!!

18. Oct 25, 2011 at 4:32 PM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    crawl box > supercharger...

and for people that wheel for a living (like alot of overlanders) live by the rule of leaving the engine 100% stock for better reliability/longevity

19. Oct 25, 2011 at 4:34 PM
    BrokenTusk

Member:
    First Name:
    Marcelasaurus
    AB, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The Scarlett Whore
    Check Build Thread!!
    supercharger > crawl box > turbocharger > godzilla > monkeys flinging poo > peeing into the wind

20. Oct 25, 2011 at 4:35 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    I wheel so I can get to the beach...

Products Discussed in

To Top