1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I want something to haul my motorcycles. Should I get a Tacoma???

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by x2468, Jul 19, 2009.

1. Jul 20, 2009 at 4:00 PM
    x2468

x2468 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '02 TRD 4wd V6 Xcab Sr5
    yeah sounds like i need a test drive. wish i knew someone who has this truck. what are dealer policies like with test drives? can i just show up, even if im not in a position to buy immediately?

also, if i buy used from a toyota dealership, and the truck doesn't have the 4th leaf spring, you think i could have them perform the TSB as a condition in the deal?

2. Jul 20, 2009 at 9:06 PM
    Coupe

Coupe Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 X-Runner
    Lots baby!

Not with my lead foot.

3. Jul 21, 2009 at 2:44 AM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    Test drives are usually not a problem, just walk up and request one. They'll try to force you to the office to "run some numbers" but... you're not committed to anything. I've told them straight up an honest I was looking to get into the market soon and doing research on what I want to pursue, and trying all the competition to get a feel for what I like best. They never have a problem with that as they want to sell you their stuff of course.

As for the $ situation, if you've never had a loan you're going to have issues. No credit can almost be worse than bad credit at times. However, if you have some history with say, rent payments, bills ect... it might be enough of a history to get you a loan. However, it might not be enough. What I would do is, try some local credit unions first to get pre-approved for the maximum you think you'll be spending (take say the v6 4x4 and add tax/title/tags to it about 2.5 to 3k). If you're pre-approved with a low interest rate (go fixed), then you don't have to play the dealer's game. You can still see if they want to try and beat your rate of course. If you're coming up short on what you need for funding, get yourself a visa or such and start using it for daily stuff (gas, food, ect) and pay it off not entirely in full every month (say at most 100 revolving). You'll get some financing charges for it but a low (well under your max credit available) revolving debt will help boost it for responsible use. Just make sure you don't miss a payment ever...

As for the truck, the i4 is to slow for me :D However, try it yourself and judge. I love having the v6, it's pretty snappy for a v6 truck to say the least, it's even made my buddies 300zx have to downshift to catch back up :D I still get about 17mpg average (i'm always full throttle and to the red every shift, auto).

Also don't forget to check insurance rates first... especially being at 20.

Good luck!

Products Discussed in

To Top