1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I want to power wash my seats.

Discussion in 'Detailing' started by TucsonAZ, Apr 30, 2017.

1. Apr 30, 2017 at 2:31 PM
    TucsonAZ

TucsonAZ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Crew Cab TRD
    ARB Bumper
    Can anybody tell me what sensors are in the seats and will getting them wet damage them, if so can they be removed with ease? The seats in a 2006 are SUPER dirty and I would really love to power wash them as I already have them taken out for cleaning.

Anybody have any thoughts on this?

2. Apr 30, 2017 at 2:35 PM
    2006whitetacoma

2006whitetacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 White SR5
    I would rent a machine and do hot water extraction instead. I did mine that were filthy nasty and looked like someone threw a large coffee all over the interior when I bought the truck and now they look almost new. I dumped out several gallons of muddy water from the machine. Pressure washing the seats will only drive the dirt in further and could cause mold and mildew in the seat if it isn't dried quickly enough.

I really hope it wasn't puke in the seats, but it is gone now whatever it was.

lynyrd3, knayrb, doorsidedown and 5 others like this.
  3. Apr 30, 2017 at 2:38 PM
    80schild

80schild Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    Flori-Bama
    Vehicle:
    2007 TRD Sport Access Cab
    Go to Walmart and buy a Little Green Clean machine. I think I paid $99 for mine, and it has been well worth the money, so many uses for it.

If you power wash them you'll soak the foam and it'll end up smelling soured.

lynyrd3, Kyitty and Sugar Silva like this.
  4. Apr 30, 2017 at 2:52 PM
    TucsonAZ

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Crew Cab TRD
    ARB Bumper
    I'm pretty sensitive to chemicals so renting things like that aren't an option for me. I would otherwise totally agree with you and that's what I would do. I live in Tucson with 9% humidity so mold and things like that are much less of an issue for me.

I have a LGM but that thing is a light weight, I actually normally us a shop vac and a 2 gallon gardening pump bottle which does a great job, much better than the LGM I used to use.

5. Apr 30, 2017 at 3:01 PM
    gainman

gainman Semper Fi

Member:
    SW Florida
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD Sport Supercharged Manual
    Stuff
    I would steam clean them

lynyrd3 and Kyitty like this.
  6. Apr 30, 2017 at 3:05 PM
    Pigpen

Pigpen My truck is never clean

Member:
    Northwest Montana
    Vehicle:
    2012 AC Manual 4.0 4x4 Base Model
    Access cab toolbox/ dog bed with seats and headrests deleted, waterproof TRD seat covers, yellow wire mod, diff breather relocated to tail light, engine block heater, Leer topper with Yakima tracks and rack, Yakima rack on cab, Ride Rite with Daystar cradles, CBI hidden front hitch, wired for winch front and rear Warn quick connect, Warn x8000i on external carrier, sway bar delete, trailer plug relocated to bumper, Pelfreybilt IFS and Mid skids, ECGS front diff bushing, ARB CKMA12 compressor, 255/85/16 Backcountrry MT 3 load E tires on stock steel rims, Up2NoGood heated mirror kit, Husky X-act Contour front floor liners, Northstar AGM 24F battery, Pelfreybilt bolt on sliders with kickout and top plates, TRD Pro headlights, Depo smoked tail lights, Energy suspension body mount bushing kit, OME Dakar leaf packs with AAL, Billstein B110 rear shocks, OME 90021 front shocks with 885 coils, SPC LR UCAs, Up2NoGood 2wd low range mod, 4 Wheel Campers Grandby slide in camper
    Do it. You'll be fine. The sensors aren't actually in the seat.

PackCon likes this.
  7. Apr 30, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    Larzzzz

Larzzzz Grande' Ricardo

Member:
    First Name:
    Larry
    MA
    Vehicle:
    '06 dclb 350+ kmiles
    Aux back up lights, Bed lights, Re-located trailer plug, Good dooby, a.k.a. jumper cable mod, Heated seats, back up camera,
    Woolite carpet cleaner, a scrub brush and a shop vac...

8. Apr 30, 2017 at 3:35 PM
    The Stig

The Stig Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wear some gloves and don't ruin your seats.

03toyfan likes this.
  9. Apr 30, 2017 at 3:41 PM
    TucsonAZ

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Crew Cab TRD
    ARB Bumper
    Using chemicals isn't an option so that one is out, it isn't about wearing gloves it's that I don't want my body and lungs around them. These seats are grimy as hell though and need some serious cleaning so I will get it figured out.

Benzdriver81 likes this.
  10. Apr 30, 2017 at 3:51 PM
    OKTACO

OKTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ty
    Vehicle:
    2005 SR5 Taco
    I removed the covers on mine and ran them through the washing machine a few times.

11. Apr 30, 2017 at 3:54 PM
    TegoTaco

TegoTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2013 Super White Tacoma DCLB TRD SPORT
    What about steam cleaner???

Sugar Silva likes this.
  12. Apr 30, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    LuckyToy

LuckyToy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    4x4 Offroad
  13. Apr 30, 2017 at 5:46 PM
    2006whitetacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 White SR5
    I did it with straight hot water, nothing else. You could try some white vinegar if the water itself isn't doing it.

httuner likes this.
  14. May 2, 2017 at 7:52 PM
    TucsonAZ

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Crew Cab TRD
    ARB Bumper
    I have thought this over and it's what needs to happen, they need to be power washed. I know there are some concerns about driving the dirt further in but I've done this on older seats before and it did an amazing job I just made sure to wash them a few times. These seats haven't been cleaned in 11 years of Arizona living so they're full of dust, dirt, and grime.

My questions are as follows:

1) The seat belt sensor isn't a huge concern so I'm going to not worry much about those, maybe toss a bag over the connector and call that done. I guess this isn't really a question.

2) The other wires, are those strictly airbag related, would you be worried about them if I just wash the seats, leave them to dry overnight before plugging back in and call it done. They don't look like they're easy to remove, what would happen if they weren't even working/connected, has anybody disconnected theirs?

3) Anything else I should be worried about with this plan?

15. May 2, 2017 at 7:54 PM
    AK Taco

AK Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    matt
    Anchorage, Ak
    Vehicle:
    chrome-free '99 sr5
    20% tint on all windows, Deckplate mod, satoshi-ish grille, blacked out and/or body matched emblems, rattle canned rims, red l.e.d. interior lights, bilstein 5100's and OME 881 coils , deaver 8 leaf pack, 1.5" lift shackle, alpine sound system, 55w HID lightforce 140 and 170 fogs
    You're going to regret it, but it sounds like your mind is already made up.

Minny Taco, Kyitty and tomwil like this.
  16. May 2, 2017 at 8:27 PM
    2006whitetacoma

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 White SR5
    You better suck out all of the water you can with the shop vac and let them dry for several days if you are going to do this. I would also have a contingency plan, ie find where you can get some seats out of a wrecked tacoma.

17. May 2, 2017 at 9:19 PM
    TucsonAZ

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Crew Cab TRD
    ARB Bumper
    I'm not unwilling to disagree I just need to understand why I will?

Suck out the water, several days of drying, getting new seats? I live in southern Arizona, when I do this on Friday the forecast is 101 degrees with 11% humidity and a 10mph breeze. If mold or something is the concern you have to understand just just how quickly water evaporates in conditions like that. I do know if I lived in South Carolina or something the seats would be toast.

If I wanna do this, what precautions would you take since the only concern I have is the electronics in the seat.

18. May 2, 2017 at 9:29 PM
    2015WhiteOR

2015WhiteOR Well-Known Member

Member:
    Gainesville TX
    Power washing is going to push dirt into the seat foam.

A commercial/industrial hot water extractor (HWE) will actually suck all of the stuff AWAY from the foam and emulsifies most oils and grease that are trapping the dirt in.

Plus, hot water dries very quick so you can get it all bolted up once you're done.

I'd also recommend you look into getting some neoprene seat covers afterwards.. much easier to take off the seat covers once a year and wash them separately.

19. May 2, 2017 at 9:31 PM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Do it right. Remove the seats and remove the fabric. Wash the fabric in any manner that is except able to you. You could even pressure wash the fabric if you wanted.

Using the pressure washer is just going to push the dirt and water into the foam.

Now you have water and dirt deep into the foam. It would take a month to dry out the foam.

While its drying, that dirt, now deep in the foam is turning to mildew. If you are sensitive to chemicals, you most likely are sensitive to mildew and mold. Even a person with no sensitivities will be at risk.

Please don't pressure wash the seats.

The steam cleaner is your next best choice. Steam the fabric to loosen the dirt and vacuum out the dirt.

Kyitty likes this.
  20. May 2, 2017 at 9:41 PM
    TucsonAZ

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Crew Cab TRD
    ARB Bumper
    How do I get the fabric off the seats (never mind I found the link, super helpful), I didn't even know that was an option, how involved is it? As for the drying, as mentioned above I live in southern Arizona, when I do this on Friday the forecast is 101 degrees with 11% humidity and a 10mph breeze. If mold or something is the concern you have to understand just just how quickly water evaporates in conditions like that. I do know if I lived in South Carolina or something the seats would be toast.

Last edited: May 2, 2017

Products Discussed in

To Top