1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I wasn't planning on changing oil today...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by jcayce, Dec 6, 2009.

1. Dec 6, 2009 at 7:44 PM
    jcayce

jcayce [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    No chance. It is tucked up well above the skid plates. If it does get hit, you will have worse problems to worry about then just leaking oil.

2. Dec 6, 2009 at 7:46 PM
    jcayce

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    Home Depot sells some Channel Locks made for pipe and oil filters up to 3.5 inches in diameter. They are adjustable and work perfectly on the middle setting.

3. Dec 6, 2009 at 7:47 PM
    jcayce

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    I had two sizes of strap wrenches and neither of them would get close to the base. That was my initial thought as well.

4. Dec 6, 2009 at 8:01 PM
    BakoTruck

BakoTruck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matthew
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner TRD
    Thanks for clearing that up for me.
    I don't think the heat will affect the filter that much, you just need to use the right tool. I use a plier filter wrench, and have never had a problem using it. And I'm not sure I would suggest anyone taking off they're filter slightly, then putting it back on and driving around. Not a good idea in my opinion.

5. Dec 6, 2009 at 8:03 PM
    jcayce

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    17 DCSBTRDOR4X4
    maybe after 36,000, i have a case of the good japanese stuff to go through first.

6. Dec 6, 2009 at 8:09 PM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat

Stick with Toyota parts. OEM is almost always best for fitment and performance. They designed the vehicle ffs.

7. Dec 6, 2009 at 8:19 PM
    CtryBoyInMT

CtryBoyInMT Lifetime Member

Member:
    United States of America
    Vehicle:
    2008 4WD V6 Access Manual TRD Off-Road
    Tinted windows, Rear locker anytime, Secondary filter delete, Parking light activated Fog lights, USA▪Spec Ipod adapter, Map light mod, Relocated 7-Blade, Warn Trans4mer Brushguard & winch, Tire chains, Homelink© installed in headliner, LED lighted 4x4 Switch, Defrost w/o A/C, Heated mirrors, Bilstein 5100's (1.75") & Rear TSB, 50w Reverse lights, Pratt & Whitney PT6A-68, Will this list ever end???
    As previously stated, It sucks the first time because you never know how it was installed. I never use one either, as I don't over tighten them to begin with.

But that being said,

I never liked the ones like this:
    [​IMG]
    First off I have too many different vehicles and they don't adjust. The dealer used one of these on the factory filter (just to loosen it for me, and it would just jump/spin after massive muscle trying to get it off. They sent me on my way as I called them amateurs and broke down and bought one of these:

[​IMG]
    I prefer the ones like this, and if it slips, put a piece of sandpaper grit side to the filter and it'll twist the base off the body before it slips, making it easy to chisel it off.

Then non-mechanically inclined people come up with crazy crap like this:
    [​IMG]
    Don't use this one.

8. Dec 6, 2009 at 11:20 PM
    Tommy

Tommy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab SR5 4x4
    I had to use a large extention with a filter socket and an impact wrench to get my first filter off. Thought I was gonna blow my back out with one of those strap wrenches. I was showered with 20w50 but it came off, finally.

9. Dec 7, 2009 at 4:18 AM
    jandrews

jandrews Hootin' and Hollerin'

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '09 FourDubDee TRD OR
    A-TRUCK, Fat Kid in the Bed, Custom Pinstriping, Ported and Polished Muffler Bearing, Hi-Performance Bed Mat
    I'm talkin' mainly consumables (filters, plugs, belts, etc.) that are engine specific.

10. Dec 7, 2009 at 5:01 AM
    95SLE

95SLE Starting to get cold outside

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    I think Attila the Hun put mine on. I even came on line and asked it the filter was lefty loosey.

X2. K&N FTW

11. Dec 7, 2009 at 5:24 AM
    JNL

JNL Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jamie
    Atlanta
    Vehicle:
    08 DC Prerunner TRD Sport

+1 That's how I have to remove the oil filter on my CBR954rr.....it sits right behind the headers and there isn't even enough room to fit an oil filter wrench anyway.

12. Dec 7, 2009 at 7:10 AM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
    +1. 1" nut FTW...it also has a some pretty nice results of filtering and flow. My next one is gonna be a over-sized one from K&N.

13. Dec 7, 2009 at 8:04 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Custom XM Install, Window Tint, Intermittant Wiper Install, AVS Bug Deflector, Bed Mat, TRS FX-R retrofits, CIBIE fog and spot lamps, PIAA 510 lamps, Acess LE cover, Weathertech Digital floorr mats, LED interior lighting, Pioneer AVH-2300BT HU, Boston Acoustics speakers, JL Audio Amp, shorty antenna, leather wrap steering wheel cover, Viper security system.
    What number is the oversized one?

14. Dec 7, 2009 at 8:43 AM
    dktaco

dktaco Yes MAObama is a joke!

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    So. Cal (D-town aka Downey)
    Vehicle:
    05' Pre-Runner SR5 6-spd Modded
    5100's set @ 2.5", Wheeler's AAL, Toyota factory trailer hitch w/ a Reese 3.5" drop ball, Gaylord's Tonneau cover, BLHM w/ 35w 6000k HID's, Lumincs yellow fogs, Sylvania 886 bulbs in taillights for reverse lights, Debadged, Dee-Zee nerf bars, Shorty black antenna, 3M rubberized billet grille & surround, Toyo Open Country AT's 31's, K&N intake, 40 series Flowmaster, Redline Racing Synthetic fluid all the way around, Wet Okole set covers, dash mat, Sirius Starmate 5 hardwired, Cobra radar detector hardwired, paint always taken care of the finest products from Autogeek.net and a Porter Cable dual action polisher.
  15. Dec 7, 2009 at 8:52 AM
    95SLE

Member:
    First Name:
    Tom
    Maryland
    Vehicle:
    09 RWD Access Cab
    Thank you for the info.

16. Dec 7, 2009 at 8:55 AM
    SC4333

SC4333 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Grant
    FL
    Vehicle:
    SOLD - 2016 TRD Off-Road 4x4 DCSB
    Anytime someone is changing their oil it is a very good rule of thumb to change the oil when it is at operating temperature. This insures that most particulates that are floating around the engine will be suspended in the oil. when the plug is pulled, most all of these particulates will flush right out of the engine.

Grab a small handful of fine metal shavings and throw them into some cheap oil if you want to see it for yourself. Stir the oil and watch how the metal is suspended in the oil. Then let it sit for an hour or so and watch how the metals float to the bottom of the pan. If you pull a plug on that pan you will notice that the metal by no means leaves the pan like it will when it is in suspension.

17. Dec 7, 2009 at 9:02 AM
    2009Silver

2009Silver Well-Known Member

Member:
    Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    2009 Silver 4x4 DC TRD Sport
    WeatherTechs Bed Extender Bed Mat 3" Lift Spidertrax Clarion DVD HU Overhead Monitor
    I literally tried 5 different types of filter wrenches until I'd dented the filter so bad I had to use the screwdriver.

They are crazy torqued from the factory...

18. Dec 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge

x2 :eek:

19. Dec 7, 2009 at 9:18 AM
    Yoytoda

Yoytoda The Little Truck That Could

Member:
    First Name:
    Roland
    Big Bear,CA / Upstate NY(Saratoga)
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma Regular Cab 4x4
    completely stock
    mine was f'n tight from the factory too. Its probably put on dry and the the rubber gasket "welds" to the block. Ive always had good luck with a filter wrench. Even if its super tight and you cant move it, if you hold as much pressure as you can on it you can feel it slowly turning and it will come loose. Because the seal is rubber it grips really well. in theory if you hold pressure to the stuck seal the rubber will slowly let go... and dont forget to oil the seal of the new one so IT doesnt get baked on

20. Dec 7, 2009 at 10:03 AM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR + 2023 TRD off-road.
    back to bone stock.
    seriously..if you have metal filings floating around..there are bigger fish to fry. most guys here change oil more frequently than recommended by the factory. i am downright anal about it. now if there are filings floating around...suspending them into my oil is the last thing i want. i would love to have them settled down, right next to my drain plug, so they flush when i crack open the hole. either way, i think dicking with a hot motor isnt worth the miniscule advantage you state. try this with a hot 911 motor, and it is like pissing sideways in the wind. 12 quarts comes out, like the first piss after a hot night of sex...you're gonna get alittle bit on the rim..

Products Discussed in

To Top