1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I will be buying a new Tacoma in the next week

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by foxtrapper, Aug 11, 2017.

1. Aug 13, 2017 at 8:03 AM
    The hammer

The hammer Who’s the Wrench?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tacoma SR5 4X4 DCLB TSS Pkg 17X8" BSW-Cooper DIscoverer AT3 4s P265/65/17
    Underworld Flex trifold, tinted, TRDPRO grill, TRDPRO shift knob, etc,etc
    That's what has been said here, but idk for sure. I was hoping for the luxury MB pickup to make it debut here, but now they said not in us and I was exited about that one more than the Ranger

harrycary[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Aug 13, 2017 at 9:18 AM
    DigginIt

DigginIt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Linda
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blue Tacoma TRD 4 x 4 Sport

Never had any A/T updates either. Didn't feel the need for it, nor did I have the ATF fluid checked.
    Only problem I've had so far is they have my truck at the dealer for rear differential recall. I have 10K
    miles on my truck now.

The hammer[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Aug 13, 2017 at 9:49 AM
    DigginIt

DigginIt Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Linda
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    2016 Blue Tacoma TRD 4 x 4 Sport
    What are you going to do with your Colorado? I don't think you can go wrong with any of the colors.

4. Aug 13, 2017 at 11:43 AM
    The hammer

The hammer Who’s the Wrench?

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '16 Tacoma SR5 4X4 DCLB TSS Pkg 17X8" BSW-Cooper DIscoverer AT3 4s P265/65/17
    Underworld Flex trifold, tinted, TRDPRO grill, TRDPRO shift knob, etc,etc
    Huh! And here I was thinking Yota only made one unicorn with my name on it lol!

With 10k on the clock, it only gets better from here
    Cheers!

5. Aug 13, 2017 at 12:15 PM
    daddy_o

daddy_o Well-Known Member

Member:
    Bossier City, La
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Sport, Inferno, w/tech package
    Factory Blackout package, Soft roll up bed cover, Cheap seat covers, Front and rear dash cam, AVS in channel vent visors
    It will be the end of 2018, released as a 2019 model. The bronco will follow as a 2020 model.

The hammer likes this.
  6. Aug 13, 2017 at 2:45 PM
    crappie man

crappie man Well-Known Member

Member:
    be trading it in on the 18 tacoma

DigginIt[QUOTED] and Brostjoe like this.
  7. Aug 14, 2017 at 8:05 PM
    jeffsmitty

jeffsmitty Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Northport, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad 4x4
    2017 White TRD pro grill
    Before you buy:

1. Take it out and drive between 50&65 mph for several miles and listen for the whine in the rear differential. If it has the whine it only gets worse.
    2. Get on the interstate and engage cruise control at 75 mph and drive for several miles ( not on flat ground). When you come to small inclines it will constantly shift to 4th gear and scream at over 3000 rpms. Don't let the salesman tell you that the transmission is in learning mode.
    If you think you can live with these issues that Toyota deems normal, you may like a gen 3 Tacoma. Read the threads on these issues and check it out. After driving a 2009 for 150,000 miles I hate driving this one.

Midnighttaco08 likes this.
  8. Aug 15, 2017 at 2:33 AM
    jsinnard

jsinnard Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    It's normal for a truck with two OD gears if you leave it in D.

If this happens use ECT or kick it over to S mode if you want it to reduce unnecessary upshifting like the manual says.

downloadfile.jpg
    Transmission is configurable so the OP should learn how to use it. Some don't like it because its different than other trucks and consider it a problem.

OP should decide where he falls on the matter.

9. Aug 15, 2017 at 3:46 AM
    Taco Fan

Taco Fan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Fort Worth, TX
    Vehicle:
    2017 White TRD PRO AT 5 ft bed
    Console Organizer, black tailgate letters, chrome glove box letters.
    I owned a '14 Tacoma 4x4, which I traded for my '17 Pro. The '17 is a better truck. But the '14 had a smoother transmission.

I've put 10K on mine and haven't had a problem yet. I'm not calling BS on the complaints here, but I don't see them. I've had a GREAT experience with '17 Pro...no recalls and whines. There is some wind noise. But my I think my '14 was louder. And...Tacomas are light trucks. I bet a Prius, Lexus or Cadillacs offer quieter rides.

I love Toyota and Honda vehicles (other than Ridgeline because I'm male :)). I don't hate Ford/Chevy trucks. They just don't hold their value. That's not an opinion...that's a fact. You can decide for yourself why that is. If it weren't for fleet sales, rebates, factory incentives and gimmicks, not sure we'd see any Ford/Chevys on the road.

As for buying a Tacoma "even if the engine fell out"...probably true. But I buy Tacomas precisely because their engines never fall out. They are just solid trucks. And I've owned 3 of them. I highly recommend Tacomas.

10. Aug 15, 2017 at 4:17 AM
    xola3que

xola3que Well-Known Member

Member:
    Long Valley, NJ
    2019 Tacoma Sport
    most of the negative comments are from jealous 2nd gen owners. No new cars escape from occasional recalls. Solid truck for my money.

Taco Fan likes this.
  11. Aug 15, 2017 at 4:23 AM
    Woodrow F Call

Woodrow F Call Kindling crackles and the smoke curls up...

Member:
    Colorful Colorado
    Vehicle:
    16 DCSB SR5 4X4 "ikea furniture haulers" edition.

You as smitty should hang out, you gots lots to talk about.

Anyway, I've said it before: I got the Taco because I liked the interior fit and finish better than the Colorado and the stupid resale these trucks have in case I decided I wanted to go full size later.

My Taco had its headliner replaced already. The Third gen already has a few recalls..... I've been hit by one of them for the rear dif. I will say, I haven't replaced the water pump yet.

The Taco is a good truck, but in general GM, Ford, even Ram makes a good truck, but they all have their lemons.

The hammer[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Aug 15, 2017 at 4:34 AM
    harrycary

harrycary Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I would agree with the above statement on a "features" standpoint.However, here are my issues with the AC60 transmissions: in every unit I have seen, the valve body leaks down and draws air when it sits for a couple of hours. Air does not belong in hydraulic systems. This is what causes shift flares and slow upshift clutch engagement. The ratios for 5th (and possibly 6th) gear, for this combination, step up too much. The truck weighs 4400, has a fairly sizable aerodynamics footprint, and has pretty low levels of torque at the RPMs necessary to hold even 5th gear on a hilly (mild) highway. Thus, the transmission will dive down into 4th real easily. This was bad enough that Toyota has been quietly trying to send out ECM code with each transmission code update. This is why you don't pull an engine and transmission from a vehicle with less drag and shove it in a truck without spending a little common sense. They could have very easily changed the 3rd planetary set to have more favorable gears. Instead, they bragged all over the world about their achieved cost reduction. Now we have lugging engines. This transmission sucks, period....The response of the transmission is too slow, and it seems to have a difficult time knowing when to drop down 2 gears. Many times it drops one gear, 2 times... and this happens with the pedal to the floor. This takes too long to get the torque that may be needed in a given situation.

It sounds like I am being picky here, and I am. I expect more out of Toyota. After all, they seemed to get it right on the minivan! They have been at this for a long time. So has Aisin (their transmission supplier).

Now Isuzu will be using this transmission. Their customers will be jumping in soon with their discontent.

Shame on Toyota/Aisin for not fixing this in the last 2.5 years.

Homesteader64 likes this.
  13. Aug 15, 2017 at 4:47 AM
    harrycary

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    I would say possibly one or two, but most of the negative comments are coming from actual owners that feel let down.

bshammer0 likes this.
  14. Aug 15, 2017 at 7:16 AM
    jsinnard

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    Yes but you know you can remove 5 and / or 6 with S mode to reconfigure.

Is it the best choice of transmissions, not really but you can learn to optimize by using the available features. If that's too much to contend with then consider shopping a different truck. For you 4Runner fans this drive train is also rumored to be used in the next gen 4runner soon.

If I recall correctly, the 2nd gen transmissions also suffer shift flair so it's been longer than 2.5 years for Aisin and it's not just a symptom in 3rd gen Toyota trucks.

I remember bradwhiteniki having this very same complaint about the transmission gearing, shift flair and leak by..... o_O

Spooky.....

boynoyce and harrycary[QUOTED] like this.
  15. Aug 15, 2017 at 7:38 AM
    harrycary

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Off Road
    Agreed my good Sir. I have heard if this before. I must have a twin.

16. Aug 15, 2017 at 7:50 AM
    jsinnard

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    Yep, a true doppelganger

17. Aug 15, 2017 at 8:52 AM
    jeffsmitty

jeffsmitty Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Northport, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad 4x4
    2017 White TRD pro grill
    I'm not a jealous 2nd gen owner asshole im a disappointed 3rd gen owner. Transmission should downshift to 4th on steep inclines for sure. Not on slight inclines. Just returned from a 300 mile trip in S mode 5th gear. No difference. I'm in dealership service department right now at 6000 miles after having rear diff replaced at 5000 miles. After driving and acknowledging the whine the Service manager is going off the norm and trying GM additive in rear end to see if it helps. He said Toyota is supposed to come out with some sort of dampers to reduce noise to cabin possibly in October. Got my fingers crossed. I'm not trying to spoil anyone's new purchase plans, just passing along my disappointment. I was very excited before my purchase and have a lot of things I like about my truck. The two issues I have are a big letdown for a $37,000 price

Homesteader64 and shakerhood like this.
  18. Aug 15, 2017 at 9:30 AM
    jsinnard

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    There is a difference, it won't shift into 6th when in S5 but will still drop to 4th if the incline is up enough to maintain speed.

I don't suppose you tried dropping the speed to 65-70 just to see if that also made a difference?

Getting the rear diff replaced for noise or due to the recall?

19. Aug 15, 2017 at 9:40 AM
    jeffsmitty

jeffsmitty Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    Northport, Alabama
    Vehicle:
    TRD Offroad 4x4
    2017 White TRD pro grill
    I'm not speaking of big inclines. This is when using cruise control which I do on interstate. While trying to keep the set speed it will constantly downshift to 4th gear even on slight inclines. I've tried ect and s mode. Rear diff was not in recall. It was replaced because of gear whine between 55 and 65 mph. There are plenty of other folks posting on Tacoma world about both of these issues.

20. Aug 15, 2017 at 10:58 AM
    jsinnard

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Virginia
    Vehicle:
    16 QS DCLB OR 4X4
    So you're getting it replaced for noise not due to failure, got it.

You're not happy with the way the transmission performs, got it.

boynoyce likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top