1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I4, first oil change

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by My4x4Tacoma, May 11, 2012.

1. May 13, 2012 at 8:11 PM
    MightyMouse-SCT

MightyMouse-SCT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabriel
    O'SIDE CA
    Vehicle:
    MightyMouse-SCT - 2011 LT 4x4 Desert Runner
    Long Travel Total chaos kit, fox shocks, smp fab , dmz sua, glassworks, method wheels.
    So mobil1 , K&N , are good ones ?

2. May 13, 2012 at 8:44 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Personally, I use the Purolator Pure-One
    It's about $6 and is one of the better filters available.

Mobil-1 and K&N are identical. The only difference is you pay $3 to have the nut welded to the top on the K&N... and given the way the filter sits up there on the 2.7 it's not a bad idea... if you don't mind wasting $15+ on a filter that's no better than the $6 PureOne.

Price is my driving force in staying away from Mobil-1.. it's an excellent filter, but it's no better than the PureOne, and honestly, the Purolator bypass valve is a better design than the Mobil-1 valve.

Outside of those, Bosch is also a top-level filter. It is made in the same factory as Purolator (Bosch bought Purolator back in '05 or '06), and is identical to the Purolator Classic.

Fram also makes other brands... Microgard, Pennzoil, and others are Fram.
    Champion Labs used to make Bosch and was a good filter, but now they are using a design that is no better than Fram. Their current OEM are STP, AC/Delco, and Supertech (WalMart)... maybe others.
    Of note, yet... Champion is still making the Mobil-1 and K&N, but they are still using the older design, as those are synthetic-media premium filters... but as I said, they simply are not worth the $13-$16 unless you just have to have that nut on the bottom.

But best bang for the buck?
    Toyota dealer for the 90915-YZZD1
    Cheaper than the Pure-One, might be a buck more than the basic Fram, and it's a good filter.

3. May 21, 2012 at 5:14 PM
    nj636

nj636 Hub Master General

Member:
    First Name:
    Kev
    Jersey
    OME lift 4x sliders 4x skids
    I've always used the Toyota filter, especially after the big oil filter showdown on this forum...

what's everyone's thoughts on Castrol High-Mileage oil for a 125k I4? I've never used synthetic in this truck but I'm thinking synthetic in the gearbox and rear on the next service.

4. May 21, 2012 at 7:05 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    125k is not high mileage for a Toyota ;)

Seriously....

The "high mileage" formulations are modified. Though the viscosity is spec for the grade, they "act" heavier. Mobil-1 has a comparison of it's various oils and shows that the high mileage versions are not optimal for fuel economy.

It would be interesting to send a couple of virgin samples to see what the difference in the additive package is, but the idea behind the high mileage formula is to help reduce oil consumption.

If you aren't losing more than a quart between oil changes (my wife's Rav4 uses about 1/2qt every 5k, 125k on the engine), then you don't need the high mileage.

To Top