1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

IBS dual battery kits

Discussion in 'Sierra Expeditions' started by FlyingWil, Jan 27, 2011.

1. Jan 27, 2011 at 11:36 AM
    FlyingWil

FlyingWil [OP] Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Sonoran Desert
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Expedition Ready
    Shrockworks Front Bumper, LightForce 240's, PIAA 510's,T-Max 9000 competition winch with Outback (longer drum) and modified brake wireless controller and Masterpull line with Viking safety thimble, Rugged Ridge Hawse, Daystar Winch isolator, SAW Racerunner 2.5 coilovers, Safari Snorkel, IBS dual battery system with RBM, Scangauge II, Total Vision self spotting kit and monitor with aux output and remote, Low Tek Gauge pod with Cyberdyne gauges for fridge and battery, Yeasu FT-7800 head unit mounted in ceiling linner and speaker Larson Hood mount, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio in the ash tray location,'lil Wil Mag mount antenna, Odessey 1200 MJT & Die Hard Plat. dual batteries, Can-Back with extra mounts, Blue Sea 12 st Fuse Box, 100 Amp 100 Amp Relay, Extremeaire & 5 Gal air tank w/ 145 psi switch, Custom bed drawer system, Engel Mt-45 with TwoZone, protective covers, and Engel Slide Eezi-Awn 1600 RTT w/ Ikea LED light mod, and sheet set, CBI offroad Expedition rear bumper, jerry can tir
    Looking to add a second battery to your Tacoma? Sierra Expeditions carries the IBS Dual Battery Systems. This is a complete kit with everything you need to install into your Tacoma. $379.95 + Shipping

[​IMG]

This kit includes:

• 200A Relay (12v Systems)
    • In-cab monitor with flush mount (optional mounts available)
    • Wire Harness
    • 10' of 4g positive and negative cables
    • All connectors needed to complete installation

After trying several different brands of dual battery kits, this is the one I personally use and recommend to those in the market looking for a dual battery kit. We have installed these kits on several Tacoma's and are very pleased with the results.

Wiring Diagram:
    [​IMG]

$379.95 + Shipping
    More info on our website: IBS Dual Battery Systems

2. Jan 27, 2011 at 11:39 AM
    FlyingWil

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Sonoran Desert
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Expedition Ready
    Shrockworks Front Bumper, LightForce 240's, PIAA 510's,T-Max 9000 competition winch with Outback (longer drum) and modified brake wireless controller and Masterpull line with Viking safety thimble, Rugged Ridge Hawse, Daystar Winch isolator, SAW Racerunner 2.5 coilovers, Safari Snorkel, IBS dual battery system with RBM, Scangauge II, Total Vision self spotting kit and monitor with aux output and remote, Low Tek Gauge pod with Cyberdyne gauges for fridge and battery, Yeasu FT-7800 head unit mounted in ceiling linner and speaker Larson Hood mount, Uniden Pro 520XL CB radio in the ash tray location,'lil Wil Mag mount antenna, Odessey 1200 MJT & Die Hard Plat. dual batteries, Can-Back with extra mounts, Blue Sea 12 st Fuse Box, 100 Amp 100 Amp Relay, Extremeaire & 5 Gal air tank w/ 145 psi switch, Custom bed drawer system, Engel Mt-45 with TwoZone, protective covers, and Engel Slide Eezi-Awn 1600 RTT w/ Ikea LED light mod, and sheet set, CBI offroad Expedition rear bumper, jerry can tir
    Here is my install (pre wiring shield):

I went with the IBS dual battery system with the option RBM (Relay Booster Module) to replace my problematic National Luna
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here you can see the control unit. It is slightly larger than the NL, but has all electronics in the cab, unlike the NL which has it mounted above the solenoid. This makes this unit much more water resistant than the NL kit.
    [​IMG]

The solenoid itself is much smaller in comparison and sound wise much quieter when linking or disconnecting the batteries. When I h ad the surepower solenoid it would trigger the glass break sensor on the alarm, as would the NL. This unit does not trigger the glass break sensor with the solenoid mounted directly to the firewall.
    [​IMG]

It's hard to tell here, but everything is sealed, keeping water and dust out.
    [​IMG]

The harness was a breeze to set up, simply 4 wires through the firewall and connect per the instructional diagram. In my case since I was installing the RBM, the diagram I had to follow was the one included in the RBM package.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Again fully sealed!!!
    [​IMG]

Controller mounted using a swivel base mount:
    [​IMG]

Under the hood, Still need to add wiring looms before too much driving.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Jan 27, 2011 at 11:41 AM
    FlyingWil

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Sonoran Desert
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Expedition Ready
    Here is some pics of a Gen 2 install that we did in our shop a few weeks ago:

Aux Battery mount (relocated ABS):
    [​IMG]

Control Mount:
    [​IMG]

4. Oct 9, 2011 at 7:53 PM
    2011tacotrd

2011tacotrd Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Northern California
    Vehicle:
    2011 TRD offroad double cab
    Pioneer indash navigation unit, Illuminated 4x4 switch, HID heads and fogs. Black leatherette GT seat covers. toytec Ultimate lift. Now its time to mod exterior.
    Nice placement for the control unit. How did you do it cut the existing and if so with what. it looks clean.

5. Oct 9, 2011 at 8:04 PM
    OH-MAN

OH-MAN Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Sunny Az.
    Vehicle:
    10 4X4 O.R. White
    TRD skid painted black,
    Hey Wil, Where did you install the second battery in the gen 2 Tacoma?

6. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:43 PM
    FlyingWil

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Sonoran Desert
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Expedition Ready
    It is mounted with a slide-n-lock pad that is mounted to the console.
    You can see the battery tray mounted on the passenger side fender, with the ABS slightly re-located in the pic below. Please note that if you mount this way you want the positive terminal towards the engine so if there ever was a chance of the mount failing it will not ground to the hood, in this case the battery was mounted so that the positive was towards the firewall, and the negative toward the grille to mitigate chances of arcing.
    [​IMG]

The_Black_Pearl likes this.
  7. Oct 10, 2011 at 6:50 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Awesome stuff man! i am looking to go duals soon

But i am a bit confused with your wiring diagram..your starter battery is still running your winch? is that what you wanted??

I don't really get why you would need the control box..

oh..and do you have a build thread? :D

8. Oct 11, 2011 at 8:51 AM
    FlyingWil

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Sonoran Desert
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Expedition Ready
    You want to wire in the winch as close to the alternator as possible, when winching you use the Battery Monitor (controller) to link the two batteries plus you have the alternator as well.

The control box or battery monitor, allows you to monitor the batteries, link the batteries (self jump starting, winching, and other high load situations). The battery monitor also houses all the computer portion of the battery kit, thus keeping it out of the engine bay and in theory "high and dry".

not on this forum, I have one over on ExPo here: http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/728-Flyingwil-s-Taco-is-growing-up!

and here:
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/forum/threads/64054-FlyingWil-s-FZJ80

and here's the wife's rig:
    http://www.expeditionportal.com/for...en-s-2002-Jeep-Liberty-KJ?highlight=flyingwen

9. Mar 7, 2012 at 10:00 AM
    G.T.

G.T. Official TW Burrito Inspector

Member:
    First Name:
    G.T.
    CONUS
    Vehicle:
    2011 Pyrite Mica 4WD DCLB TRDSport w/ FlipPac
    Some stick on chrome from pep boys
    I keep missing the group buys on the other sites that we both frequent and wanted to know when the IBS group buy for TacomaWorld will go down. Thanks for the write up on the install and use.

10. Mar 14, 2012 at 7:21 PM
    allmotorrex

allmotorrex Grove St. Fab

Member:
    First Name:
    Gideon
    Memphis 901
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 4wd 2.7
    NWF crawlbox, 5.29s, rear Detriot, front Harrop, 37" SXIIs, 17x9" KMC Grenade Crawl beadlocks, Dirt King 3.5" LT kit with King shocks, Fox 12" smooth body RR, BAMF shock kit, AP 3" springs, ext. brake lines, custom 1 piece driveshaft with .135 wall tubeing, GSF front rock crawling bumper, GSF rear bumper, Relentless Fab ifs skid, BAMF k/o sliders, X2O 10K comp. winch, TP glass fenders, OKled 20"bar, EBS dimpled/slotted rotors, EBS green pads, custom K&N CAI, LCE headers, FM Super 44 w/h turn down, URD MAF, Spec clutch, LCE heavy flywheel, URD short shifter, TMPer M1 Abrams shift knob, Amsoil oil, Cobra 75wxst w/h 4' firestix, Grillcraft, FXR TRS, T1 eyelids, custom ADV Monster 60 lights, bed lights, speedo light mod, Glow Shift volt/oil pres gauges, Glow shift 2g column pod, Optima yellow tops dual battery setup w/h IBS system, Pioneer DEH-P7200HD head unit, Pioneer 600W 4ch & 350w 2ch amps for doors and sub, Wet Oakle covers
    this system is great by tha way! does everything auto so u dont have to touch anything! the only thing ive had to do is ive run my primary battery down too low a few times and had to manually link the batteries together but truck cranks right up! +1 for this setup

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Littletacotruck likes this.
  11. Mar 14, 2012 at 7:25 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    The Trifecta of Taco's
    ALL OF THEM!...Then some more.
    Wish I had this setup!

12. Mar 14, 2012 at 7:34 PM
    MonkeyProof

MonkeyProof Power Top

Member:
    SoCal- SGV
    More info on the solar panel please

13. Mar 21, 2012 at 5:58 AM
    NwiTACO

NwiTACO Big tars, little/no bed.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD Sport
    Custom Everything, 1 Ton Axles F & R
    ^^^This

And whats the relay booster module for?

14. Mar 25, 2012 at 12:39 PM
    tbone11212

tbone11212 Well-Known Member

Member:
    fayetteville NC
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma TRD 4x4
    Black Spyder Headlights Black LED Spyder Tail Lights Spyder Smoke Fog Lights HID Headlights and Fog Lights Black LED IPCW Third Brake Light De-badged plasti-dip power window panels plasti-dip center console modded A/C controls JVC 7inch double Din touch screen HD radio Extreme bull-bar color-matched billet grille Billet lower grille color-matched rear bumper 5% tinted windows LED fog lights added HID bulbs added for fog lights Fog light Mod high beam/ low beam mod LED bedlights LED under hood lights aux fuse box Image Dynamics front and rear speakers Blue accent lighting
  15. Aug 8, 2012 at 11:40 AM
    Crom

Crom Super-Deluxe Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 DCSB Camp Supreme
    Millions
    I know this thread is old... I'm posting anyways.

The solar panel with regulator allows the Aux battery to charge independent of the engine running. (You can find quality solar panels from www.wholesalesolar.com with 20 year warrantys, and you can find solar regulators for under $100 on Amazon. The regulator is necessary for stopping the charge when the batteries are full.) But the way I understand the IBS system is that it does even more. From the sierraexpedition.com website:

The way I understand the above text is that, if the solar energy is more than enough to run the auxiliary load AND charge the Aux battery, then the two batteries are linked and the solar charge will charge the starter battery as well. This is a really nice feature if it works the way I understand it.

The IBS product looks like a really nice one. The price is a bit steep IMO.

TJ007 likes this.
  16. Aug 8, 2012 at 11:44 AM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5
    i would love to have one

17. Nov 22, 2012 at 1:48 PM
    68m

68m Member

Member:
    My National Luna set up in my 80 series draws down the battery voltage of both batteries if I don't drive it for a couple of weeks. Does the IBS system do this as well? Thanks

18. Nov 23, 2012 at 12:29 PM
    FlyingWil

Member:
    First Name:
    Wil
    Sonoran Desert
    Vehicle:
    01 DC Expedition Ready
    No, the system will turn its self off on the monitoring side. I went from a National Luna to the IBS about 3 years ago and haven't looked back since.

19. Nov 24, 2012 at 6:50 AM
    Shadetree

Shadetree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    BiLL
    Bozeman, Montana
    Vehicle:
    2011 Access Cab 4x2
    Locking Tailgate & Gas Cap and extra bed D-rings
    Wil, what is the additional parasitic load on your starting battery with your IDS Monitor? and why do you run your winch off of the starting battery instead of the aux (deep cycle) battery?

20. Nov 25, 2012 at 9:33 AM
    68m

68m Member

Member:

Thanks Wil. I found the specs on that and the NL kit draws 40ma and the IBS draws 1ma while parked. Nice to know that it will shut off as well if the battery gets low. Pretty sure the NL doesn't do that either.

Products Discussed in

To Top