1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bearskill, Sep 15, 2008.

?

Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?

1. Icon

377 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. King RR

371 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. Mar 30, 2010 at 10:04 AM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    it should be, the first one is a waste of time. the second one is the one you want to see

2. Apr 4, 2010 at 5:36 PM
    IamJorgeEdward

IamJorgeEdward Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorge Edward
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    Completely stock

installed my new king c/o and i absolutly love them, pics will bw up tom

3. Apr 23, 2010 at 10:55 PM
    dysfunctnlretard

dysfunctnlretard Hi

Member:
    First Name:
    Manny
    CA
    Vehicle:
    2021 Jeep Rubicon
    Im pretty sure they cut the shows down to only one this year, and I think its in August. I talked to a vendor a while back who mentioned something to that nature.

4. May 22, 2010 at 9:18 PM
    IamJorgeEdward

IamJorgeEdward Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jorge Edward
    Orlando, FL
    Vehicle:
    2015 Toyota Tacoma TRD Sport
    Completely stock
    from what i hear the rear icons can not be rebuilt but the kings can. KING FTW

5. May 22, 2010 at 9:41 PM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    you can rebuild icon's just some shops won't due them because you need some special tools from what i understand. I agree with King ftw

6. May 23, 2010 at 11:04 AM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    Good Morning,

We are now re-building ICON's.I spoke to Jeremy at ICON and they use the same charging tool that Fox uses and we have already started re-building them for customers.But as always "King for Life",but I have checked out the ICON warehouse and started looking at some of there shocks and there new Bypass and they make some cool S**t...I would run ICON before I ran a Fox coil-over as far as OEM replacement shocks..

King por Vida.....

See ya,
    Sonny

7. May 30, 2010 at 9:13 AM
    Toyota Truck

Toyota Truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    I still can't make my mind up on which supension to run I thought was sure on a OME setup but I want to hit dirt trails fast and have a better ride over stock since this is my DD. So now it's between KING or ICON. Right now I am leaning toward King (looking for info so if any one can keep pushing me towards king that would be great) since the Struts/SHOCKS are rebuildable. I can just take them in to a shop rather than send in my shock/strut to Icon and wait for a new one. Also I like that DSM will valve the strut/shock the way you want which is good cause I am not really looking to lift my truck if anything level it out that's it. Like I said before I just want to hit dirt trails fast. Is it true that it's better for the C/O as far as performance if you don't preload the coil at all (leaving the Coil at the top) I emailed Mike Crosby from Icon and asked him why he thought Icon extended C/O w/the res. where better than King. May be this will help some one decide between the two brands... BTW I sent KING the same email, but they haven't responed yet.

Hello, I finally paid off my truck and I am now looking to upgrade the supension. I have narrowed it down to either Your extended travel coilovers w/res. along w/shocks or king's OEM performance series shocks and struts...To be frank I would like to know why your better. Your help will be greatly apprciated, Thank you...BTW I own a 2008 Toyota Tacoma Prerunner V6 KING: http://www.kingshocks.com/king-products/oem-performance-series/toyota/

JT,
    Thanks for the inquiry. You pose a very good question in regards to the differences between our shocks and what King offers. Both companies make extremely good shocks. The major difference is how and what they are made for. King is world renown for the race shocks they make and if I had a Trophy truck or sand car they would be the one’s I would run. Were we differ is that we only make application specific shocks. Every shock we make is designed specifically for the vehicle. If our engineers deem that the vehicle needs a 13 ¾” coil-spring then that is what we make. The race shock companies have 12”, 14”, 16”, etc. coil-springs on the shelf so that is what they use. In fact the entire shock is made to fit your vehicle from what they have on the shelf. What this means to you is the our shock will function perfectly on your vehicle all through the travel. You will have better ride quality and performance and you will not have issues with coil-bind or rougher ride quality on different terrain.
    I can go on for hours with the differences. What I would recommend is visiting some of the Tacoma forums like tacomaterritory.com or tacomaworld.com and see what other consumers like yourself have to say about the ride quality and performance differences. Thanks and if you have any other questions please let me know.

[​IMG]

8. May 30, 2010 at 10:22 AM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    I can't comment on King since I have never run them.

On my off road truck I have run OME, SAW, and ICON. Hands down the ICON was a huge night and day difference over everything else.

I am building a new off road truck and I am also going to run ICON on it. Their stuff is the best engineered assemblies out there for Toyotas. I personally know the head engineer at ICON and I have been to their shop in Cali and watched them build a few sets and took a close look at the components they use. The quality will blow your mind.

Anyway, if you decide that you want to go with ICON, URD can get you a great price on them. URD has been a dealer for them long before the name change.

G

9. May 30, 2010 at 10:27 AM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    Good Morning,
    On my way to the shop to work for a few hours and clean and organize..But I could not let this one go.And I think you just sent us an inquiry through the site which I will answer from the shop.

So, I can not speak for King, you had mentioned that you had sent them an e-mail and no one responded and I am not here for there defense and only to offer my opinion and nothing more.

In response to Mike from ICON, you do make an excellent product and you have for a long time and I have ran ICON's on my FJ and was very happy with them and I am not going to say one shock is better then the other and I feel that shocks should be tailored to each customers driving style and terrain.

The only thing I will correct you on is this one remark and no I am not beating you up about it and no I am not wanting to start an argument by any means.

Every shock we make is designed specifically for the vehicle.

Lance King himself does a lot of the ride testing and dyno's the shocks to see what they are doing at a certain point and so and so on.But King shocks are valved vehicle specific and just like ICON they can be tailored to each customer if they are not satisfied with the ride.

Now what DSM offer's is that if a customer wants the valving changed for some reason, we offer a 1 time free re-valve to all of our customers.We offer the same for King, ICON and Fox and the customer only has to send us there shocks and the customer pays the shipping to and from US and the re-valve is no charge.

DSM also offers a "1" year limited warranty for any King,ICON or Fox OEM re-buildable shock against leaking under normal use as long as a shaft has not been pitted.We will re-build the shock at No Charge and customer just pays the shipping to and from us.
    I mean normal use and not a picture of someone all cocktailed up trying to jump the canal in there STOCK 96 Tacoma with Coil-Overs and I find it on You tube..Yeah those will not be covered.

So long story short, just as Mike had responded, both companies make excellent shocks and the only thing we can do as vendor's if give the customer enough information for him or her to make an educated decision as to what will work best for them.

Have a Good weekend and enjoy your holiday and please no drinking and driving and I am off to the shop to clean for a few hours...

See ya, DSM out!!!!!!!!

10. Jun 2, 2010 at 9:36 PM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    Those are like icons but still a step below kings. :)

11. Jun 3, 2010 at 10:45 AM
    Toyota Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    Magnaflow Muffler-TSB springs-Nuvi 265wt-aFe pro dry s filter-Husky Liners-Blue dome light-extra d-rings-OME 90000 sport struts-885 coils-N182 shocks-TSB AAL-LR UCAs-procomp black alloy rims- nitto terra grapplers-20% tint
    HOLY S**T! I just read this post and had a De Ja Vu. :confused:

12. Jul 8, 2010 at 9:54 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 Well-Known Member

Member:
  13. Jul 9, 2010 at 10:13 PM
    nighthawk87

nighthawk87 Well-Known Member

Member:
  14. Sep 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    Nothing to talk about. King's FTW!!!

15. Sep 10, 2010 at 6:31 PM
    05tacoSPORT

05tacoSPORT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Tennessee
    Vehicle:
    TRD SPORT
    Geared and Locked
    Im saving my $ for icon. They gotta be way better than my 884 with spacer. Ride sucks and NO down travel. Will the icon's work well with a aftermarket bumper. For when i get the $$$$$

16. Sep 11, 2010 at 1:41 PM
    N3ZAT

N3ZAT Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Charlie
    Coatesville,Pa.
    Vehicle:
    09 tacoma
    saws up front/TC UCA/rear AAL
    Mine are saws seem to work real well

17. Oct 1, 2010 at 3:50 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    From a very knowledgable source cough chris cough he said that if you want to take hits offroad then go with the icons but they will ride a bit stiffer on road and if you want to have a better on road ride get the foxes but they wont ride as well offroad...hope i quoted properly :D

18. Oct 8, 2010 at 12:46 PM
    V-TRAIN

V-TRAIN Well-Known Member

Member:
    N. CACKALACKY
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD SPORT LONG BED
    DEMELLO ROCK CRUSHER SLIDERS, PIAA LIGHTS, TSB 4 LEAF PACK, CBI OFFROAD REAR BUMPER LINEXED, CBI OFFROAD FRONT BUMPER LINEXED, REAR 5100's, 1.5" TSB AAL, ICON EXTENDED TRAVEL COILOVERS @ 3", TOTAL CHAOS UCA's, HELLA MICRO DRIVING LIGHTS, IPOD INTERFACE, THULE ROOF RACK, UWS SLIM LINE BLACK TOOL BOX, 17" BBS RD TRUCK WHEELS, GOODYEAR WRANGLER DURATRAC IN 285/70/17
    i have icon extended travel coilovers, mine are set at 3". i do not understand how people think they are to stiff. i can hardly tell any diffrence b/w stock. the very small change feels better i think. i love
    mine.

i think alot of people take their truck to a 4x4 shop and get it all
    done at once and are then like, wow these things are stiff. i installed
    the fronts myself, and then had a 4x4 place do the rear.

the stiff feeling comes from the rear after the aal is added. the way i did mine seperate allowed me to see that. it softened up after a week, but when i left, i was like wow this is rough.

19. Oct 8, 2010 at 12:53 PM
    Toyota Truck

Member:
    First Name:
    JT
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2008 Prerunnner
    What UCAs do you have? Also what do you have your kings set at?

20. Oct 8, 2010 at 1:00 PM
    hookedontronics

hookedontronics Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Glenville, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 DC Off Road 4x4
    Icon extended travel 3.5" front coilovers, DSM UCAs, TSB leaf pack w/ wheelers AAL, All Pro U-bolt flip kit, Walker Evans 2.0 rear shocks, 18" XD Monster rims, Nitto trail grappler 285/65R18 Tires, Color matched grill, Grillcraft, Kragen HIDs, Carling switches, my bed light mod, diff drop, Alpine IVA-W505, JL Audio C5 componets and coaxials, JL 300/4 and 250/1 amps and JL stealthbox, wheathertechs, avs vent visors, toyota bed x-tender, alcantara center console cover and door pocket covers, console vault, color matched mirrors, heated mirrors, etc etc etc
    I have icons and i LOVE them

Products Discussed in

To Top