1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bearskill, Sep 15, 2008.

?

Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?

1. Icon

377 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. King RR

371 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. Oct 16, 2008 at 9:34 PM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    if they have shitty customer service, then i don't want any part of them. What do you mean by "shitty customer service"?

2. Oct 17, 2008 at 2:47 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    Icons more $??? King emailed me prices, $1300.00 direct from them for the front coilovers. Icons are only $1050.00. And I am going to have them set at 3'' lift till I get my smaller tires then I will set them at 2.5'' or 2''

3. Oct 17, 2008 at 6:55 AM
    Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    King Coilvers, 285 BFG A/T's, Moto Metal 951b's 17"
    I guess I should have phrased the differently. I personally have not had any problems with Kings customer service because I have never had to go through them. But several shops that I have been to are switching to a more Fox/Camburg orientated shop because of problems they have had with King's customer service. So I can't say for sure they their customer service is crap, but I know about 3 shops that have had problems with them in the past.

4. Oct 17, 2008 at 8:56 AM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    If you go to downsouthmotorsports.com they sell the kings for $850, which is 200 less than any place that sells the Icons.
    I would gladly pay the $200 more if I am going to get way better customer service. I think I am going to call King with a made up problem about some coilovers I don't own yet and see how they are willing to handle it. If they are dicks about it then Icons I will get. if they are are accomodating kings I will get.

5. Oct 17, 2008 at 4:10 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    The pole I started has not been much help since it has been neck and neck. But, I have talked to a lot more people that have the Icons and love them. And I don't like all the talk about King having crappy customer sevice. On average my truck is a daily driver. I just want to get rid of this toytec coil spacer cause it rides like crap, and if I change my lift I might as well do it right. Also, I want my truck set up so when I do get a chance to get out I can and not F my shit up. I think I made up my mind and will go with the Icons. Front and back. Then get just the TC UCA and not the Icon UCA. That will be a solid set up right? Thanx for all the input. I still have three weeks till I get home from my deploment, so if ya gots more info on eather of these companys, please keep posting!:D

6. Oct 17, 2008 at 4:45 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    Ok, I just went to downsouthmotorsports.com like one of you guys said. $850.00???? The Kings that are made spacificaly for 05-08 Tacomas and for FJs are $1350.00. I know I just said I made up my mind with the Icons, but damn those Kings look sweet. I have plenty of time to make up my mind though.

7. Oct 17, 2008 at 4:55 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    Crap. There is always a catch. The Kings I am looking at have a RR, but only provide up to 2.5" of lift. The Icons provide 3.5". I was planing on keeping my 33"s till I needed new tires, then go smaller. But if I get the Kings I pretty much have to get rid of my 33"s first huh? Damn those Kings would look sweet with my speedway blue. Anyone want some 33" Hankooks with only 10k on them?

8. Oct 17, 2008 at 9:49 PM
    Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    The Kings can give up the 3.0 inches of lift but you really don't want them that high. If you were to crank your Icons up to 3.5" your CV's would be gone in a matter of days. And if you buy your Kings through Downsouthmotorsports then you don't have to go through King. I bought mine from them and they were great. I was going to get the foxes but they were backordered for 2 weeks so they gave me the Kings for the same price as the Foxes, about $200 cheaper.

And to run your 33's you would be fine with the Kings. I just took off my mud flaps and cut come of the weather guard out and they work fine, besides the UCA rub when I crank my wheels fully.

BTW, that $850 is probably only a 2.0 Coilover for Long Travel.

9. Oct 18, 2008 at 1:18 AM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    CVs? I have a prerunner. But you are right. I don't want to set what ever I get to the max, would like to be nice to them. Are you sure I could run my 33"s with only 2" or 2.5" lift? Im running 3" coil spacers right now and I rub a little bit. I trimmed, but when I have the weel cranked all the way i still rub on the front and on the UCA. I don't want to go over 3". Thats for sure.

10. Oct 18, 2008 at 6:41 AM
    Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    Mine are up to about 2.5" and I only rub on my UCA.

11. Oct 27, 2008 at 2:12 PM
    gtz85350

gtz85350 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Yuma Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 sport
    Pat, would you mind posting some pics of your C/O and UCA? This is the set up i am looking into and would like to see it, if possible.... A pic of where it rubs on the UCA too. Thanks!

12. Oct 27, 2008 at 2:22 PM
    DAN LUSHER

DAN LUSHER HI-TECH LIFTS

Member:
    ELYRIA, OHIO
    Vehicle:
    TACOMA
    3.5 INCH LIFT , MORE TO COME.
    Icon customer service is top notch, mine are awesome. I dont think it much matters if your not off roading the truck for a living. It all boils down to a matter of opion , they are both quality units.

13. Oct 27, 2008 at 3:20 PM
    redrazr

redrazr Psalm 118:5-6

Member:
    Baker, FL
    Vehicle:
    2001 Xtracab TRD PreRunner
    Bilstein 5100 front/rear, Method NV Diamond wheels, Mickey Thompson Deegan 38 265/75-16's
    ICON is coming out with a RR upgrade for their c/o's. It might already be out, not sure. Just my two cents.

14. Oct 27, 2008 at 5:52 PM
    Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    This is the only picture I have right now. If you want me to go take some more later I can but its too dark.

IMG_3968-1_8cb7d6436bf77ee6a8bbbb7c0adc9cf1ad0ca0f7.jpg

15. Oct 28, 2008 at 1:46 PM
    gtz85350

Member:
    Yuma Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 sport
    Thanks Pat! Theses are the 2.5 correct? idk if you answered this already but what height do you have them set at? Thanks again!

16. Oct 28, 2008 at 2:51 PM
    Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    Yup there 2.5s and I have them set at about 2.5".

17. Oct 28, 2008 at 2:59 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    During this pole I have also been looking at the Fox 2.5 RR for our trucks. Well I just got an email from their sales rep. In order to run a new UCA, after paying $1400.00 I would still have to buy a 3/4 extender to run the Total chaos UCAs, and the TCs are the "only" ones I can run. Screw that. How is the ride on those Kings? Is it stiff? I think I have decided to go ICON all the way. Front, back, and the Icon UCAs. The UCA is more, but the coilovers are cheaper than the Kings or the Fox. If you have the Icons tell me how you like or dislike them! I only have a week or so of my deployment left I can't wait to spend some cash on my truck, and get the hell out of here!!!:bananadance::bananadance:

18. Oct 28, 2008 at 5:53 PM
    Pat

Pat Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    05 PreRunner Access Cab
    The Kings ride perfectly. Not complaints. Which ever coilover you choose Im sure you will like. I would go with either the King or Icon. Im sure the Foxes are probably great but just to make sure I would get a brand more people have.

19. Dec 3, 2008 at 8:09 PM
    Bearskill

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    I just got my Icons and TC UCAs! Thanks for everyones input. Now to decide between the Icon DR series RRs or some Bilstein 5150 piggy backs for the rear. It never ends. :D

20. Dec 4, 2008 at 8:17 AM
    gtz85350

Member:
    Yuma Arizona
    Vehicle:
    08 SR5 sport
    Some before and after pics would be sweet bro! And welcome back too!

Products Discussed in

To Top