1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Bearskill, Sep 15, 2008.

?

Icon coilovers or the King RR coilovers?

1. Icon

377 vote(s)
    50.4%
  2. King RR

371 vote(s)
    49.6%
  1. Oct 31, 2009 at 8:47 PM
    THXEY

THXEY Panda Jerk

Member:
    First Name:
    Jacob
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    2013 Subaru WRX
    STi Short Shifter.OEM floor illumination kit. Rally Armor Mud Flaps. BC BR Coilovers. Invidia N1 Exhaust
    hahaha sway away? really? dude those suck.... like everyone i know have had the absolute worst exprience with them

EDIT: i know its from the first page but IMHO

2. Oct 31, 2009 at 9:40 PM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    Hello everyone and Happy Halloween,
    Daughters Birthday today...Spending some time with the family...
    I did have a question for "TC2008" and no I am not trying to start an argument...
    Just More curious then anything.....Why do you say King Sucks????
    I know you said they are rough as hell and I know I am coming in on the 5th page,
    But if you do not mind, I would be curoius to know why....
    Thank you and any information would be greatly appreciated....
    Have a Happy Halloween...
    Sonny

3. Oct 31, 2009 at 9:54 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    I find my Icons ride a bit rough - well, rougher then I thought they were going to be. But I suppose everyone has a different point of reference...

4. Oct 31, 2009 at 9:57 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    WAY THE HELL OUT THERE, So Cal
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    ya i was wondering the same cuz i have kings and they are amazing....

5. Oct 31, 2009 at 10:29 PM
    Downsouth Motorsports

Downsouth Motorsports Downsouth Motorsport Vendor

Member:
    Mission Valley, San Diego
    2017 4-Runner Dirt King Long Travel King 2.5 Coil-Over / 2.5 Bypass Front and Rear ICON Rear Upper and Lower Arms ICON Rear 2" Springs 285 x 70 x 17 Toyo Tires on 17" x 8" ICON Wheels
    Canadianoy, If you do not mind me asking why do you think the ICONS ride rough?
    What is the spring rate?
    Just curious
    Thanks

6. Oct 31, 2009 at 11:21 PM
    Canadianboy

Canadianboy Taco love in East Van

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    09 TRD Sport S/B 4x4 Auto in Mag Grey
    Icon Stage 3, Goodyear Duratracs and KMC Addicts!
    I've never had any other aftermarket coilovers, so don't have much to compare them too. But, I can feel every small bump in the road, and when hitting some bumps, it just feels rough. I guess, just not as smooth as I thought they were gonna be. In any case, I'm not too worried about it. Its a truck and I didn't lift it and put bigger tires on it for it to ride like a caddy, it just that everyone says they ride sooo good, but thats not my impression after the install.

Edit: not sure about the spring rate

7. Nov 1, 2009 at 6:30 AM
    chad68

chad68 Master Jedi Member I am...

Member:
    First Name:
    Chad
    In a (Toyota) van down by the river! Sonoma Cownty
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 reg cab. Modded with more to come
    Polished 16x8 Pro Comp 1069's 4" BS Nitto Mud Grapplers 305/70/16 Magnaflow & glasspack muffler Stainless tip K&N 63 series Aircharger Vent visors Autometer volt and dig. temp. gauge custom mounted Factory chrome rear bumper (not black factory, one) TRD pedal covers TRD skid plate Hurst T handle shift knob Rear Tint Clear bra on the sides Chrome extinguisher Icon non resi coilovers, ICON RR shocks, black seat covers. And some other crap
    How much lift do you have the coils set at? It's hard to tell in your pics but the truck looks pretty leveled out, which might be close to 3" of lift?? Have you tried backing down on them a little and see if that softens them up? How is the ride quality on the back?

8. Nov 1, 2009 at 6:58 AM
    sibanez

sibanez Well-Known Member

Member:
    Camp Hill, PA & New Orleans, LA
    Vehicle:
    2002 4x4 SR5 XCab
    Leer camper Thule rack
    I have run Donahoes/Icons on all three of my trucks (2005 Tacoma, 2002 Tacoma and 2003 4Runner). Icons are a great coilover, but I would never say they provide a smooth ride. They have a 650lb spring which is significantly firmer than what comes on a factory coilover and even though they have digressive valving, they are valved for a firmer ride. This is why you will feel a lot of bumps when you drive, but you'll also notice that your truck responds better to them.

The King coilovers come with a softer spring (I think 550lbs) and aren't valved the same so they provide a softer ride. It doesn't feel as sporty, but it is smoother. I ran them for a few months on my 2005 and felt the Kings were a good coilover, but I didn't like how they felt on the street. Maybe a bit too soft, but they did well off-road. I wouldn't say they were better than the Icons though, but very different.

As for the guy who said Sway-A-Ways ride like crap, well, that definitely isn't the case. I ran a set on my 2002 Tacoma and only sold them because I went with an extended Donahoe. Sway-A-Ways are a performance coilover and will perform well off road and on road. Again, they have sportier valving and heavier spring so you will feel more of the road, but they respond well when you are going fast and getting air or climbing over rocks.

9. Nov 1, 2009 at 9:56 AM
    bajamoon

bajamoon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    my kings are sweet, could not be happier with the ride, and the fox's i have in back are smooth as well, thanks to Sonny at down south. Kings all the way.

10. Nov 1, 2009 at 3:04 PM
    satchsd

satchsd Old Guy Member

Member:
    keller texas
    Just put kings on all around and the ride is much better than stock. Haven't been offroad yet but have hit some good size dips and they handled them well

11. Nov 1, 2009 at 9:08 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    2 ten inch kicker cvt subs, pioneer deck and alpine 1000 watt class D amp, and flowmaster exhaust, 4 inch camburg lift spindles and my coilover is adjusted to 1" (5inch total) in front and 3" All Pro leafs, KING off road racing reservoir shocks and coil-overs, KR FAB CUSTOM BUMPER with three 9" HELLA 4000 Race LIGHTS , HID headlights with rigid amber LEDs , "KR Fabrication" custom built bumper, sliders and tiregate, Full size spare with matching rim, custom bed bar with two amber off road lights, cb radio, also BHLM (thanks Ray), and debagged
    kings are fantastic...

12. Nov 2, 2009 at 2:11 PM
    GUNZ213

GUNZ213 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Pete
    Temecula
    just installed my kings front and rear....and man ooo man. can you say PLUSH!!!!! not to mention those shinny resi's in the wheel wells look MEAN!!!

13. Nov 9, 2009 at 10:22 PM
    sandman427

sandman427 KR FAB

Member:
    First Name:
    Amir
    Vehicle:
    BAMF TACO!!
    hell yea

14. Nov 10, 2009 at 12:19 AM
    sincitytaco

sincitytaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Las Vegas
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD Off-Road 2wd Cement Grey
    Bilstein 6112/5160 set at notch 2/3, OEM TRD Pro Wheels, 275/70/17 Falken Wildpeaks, OEM TRD Pro Grill, Debadged, Ceramic Tinted Windows
    I heard these were the stiffest coilover. My Icons are pretty stiff, but I thought Kings were even stiffer than Icons.

Hey Chris do you know definitively which is "softer"

15. Nov 10, 2009 at 2:20 AM
    Bearskill

Bearskill [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sac
    Vehicle:
    06 Access cab PreRunner Sport
    FlowMaster 40 duals out the back, T-Rex grill, Color matched TRD Nerf bars, Icon coilovers set at 2'', 2.75" OME Dakars spring packs, OME Nitro-Charger extended rear shocks, Carrier bearing drop kit, Wheeler's Extended break Lines, Total Chaos UCAs, Mojave Teflons and 31 1/2" Toyo Open Country A/Ts, Pioneer single din unit, Yakima roof rack, Malone roof basket with X2 KC 130w long range Slimmlights mounted to it, Garmin 255w nav, Fire bottle mod, Air Force standard First Aid kit mod, Hidden Muchette mod (don't ask), and 1 huge OCD about my truck.
    Wow! I can't believe this thread is still going! I started it a year ago! I got my Icons last Nov. Could not be happier with them. It was a tough choice though. The Kings look and sound sweet. Just didn't need RR. Im about to get home from ANOTHER deployment. Going to get Some OME Dakars for the rear new shocks and a one piece DS. Should be done with the truck for a while after that.........ya right.:D

16. Nov 10, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    have them valved for what you want, spring rates blah blah blah, call Sonny at downsouthmortorsports and he could take care of it. I have kings and love them, rides like a caddy, other people i know have kings love them, not too many shops will rebuild icon's due to special tools, that is out for me. Kings all the way

17. Nov 10, 2009 at 7:16 AM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    hey jerk i had sway a ways and they were great.

18. Nov 10, 2009 at 1:03 PM
    Padilla1880

Padilla1880 "Let's Ride!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Daniel
    Temecula, CA
    Vehicle:
    05 TRD OffRoad V6 SR5 PreRunner
    King for me! If you look around the industry the standard is pretty much King.

Hey Steve (baja) you get that shock fixed yet?

19. Nov 13, 2009 at 8:55 AM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    Is this true? I've been researching through my local shop, and their options are ICON or SAW. They said that ICON has shown better customer service and has better response time in getting parts to the shop, but otherwise the two were similar.
    Once I start getting serious, I don't want to find out I went and dumped extra money towards a trashy rear shock that can't be rebuilt.

20. Nov 13, 2009 at 10:09 AM
    bajamoon

Member:
    First Name:
    STEVE
    Whittier
    the rear shock you can't rebuild, the front you can but i have heard that you need special tools to take them apart. i do not know that first hand.

Products Discussed in

To Top