1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ICON coilovers TOO STIFF

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Carl_z33, May 18, 2018.

1. May 19, 2018 at 7:21 AM
    slcsez2000

slcsez2000 Well-Known Member

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    I got the same thing for armor except a sos alumin bumper so it’s lighter so I think that’s why my 700 coils make it a bit stiff

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  2. May 19, 2018 at 7:24 AM
    MattCowsmasher

MattCowsmasher ( -_・)ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘

Member:
    Temple, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 sporty dcsb 4wd
    Lifted, armored, lumenz w/ switches, positraked, long legged, big tars, debadged with a hood skewp
    I agree get a winch or some steel skid plates it’ll soften it up. I lost about an inch when I did mine but the ride is still good. I don’t wanna crank them up much more plus I don’t do high speed stuff now just low an slow.

3. May 19, 2018 at 7:31 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Exterior: -Current Suspension- Icon extended travel front struts w/ 700lb coils Icon extended travel Remote Resi rear shocks Dakar leaf pack Icon Tubular UCAs with covers Icon neoprene shock covers -OEM Roof Rack -2 fold down cup holders in bed -Bed bottle opener -Access lite rider roll up tonneau cover -AFE Prodry air filter -Pop and lock bed lock -Rear differential breather relocation mod (behind tail light) -Aeroturbine 2525XL Muffler Armor: -SOS Concepts bolt on sliders W/ kick out -SOS Concepts aluminum front bumper with full hoops -SOS Concepts Rear HC Bumper -SOS Concepts IFS/Mid skids
    Oh I have a winch, full skids all the way back, sliders, mine isn’t cranked up much at all. Initially I did for a full 3” lift but rode like I was sitting on blocks.
    Took it down to around 2-2.5 and rides better but no where near as smooth as those 885s on my OME kit (but those are 590? Lb coils) so hard to compare.

I wonder how your 650s would ride for me

4. May 19, 2018 at 7:35 AM
    MattCowsmasher

Member:
    Temple, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 sporty dcsb 4wd
    Lifted, armored, lumenz w/ switches, positraked, long legged, big tars, debadged with a hood skewp
    Not sure but a fellow member is on his way we are swapping I’m getting his ome 886s. Perhaps you could find someone to trade you just the coils. I love the way mine rides set at 2.5 un armored sat almost perfectly level with the aal. With armor it’s 1 1/4 in lower at same setting. Plus I’ll be putting in some dakars HD today is the hardware shows up.

5. May 19, 2018 at 7:52 AM
    slcsez2000

Member:
    St Aug, FL
    Vehicle:
    12 TRD Sport 4x4
    Nice good deal
    Let me know how those 886s ride

6. May 19, 2018 at 8:06 AM
    crashnburn

crashnburn Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Conroe TX
    Vehicle:
    2013 DCLB 4x4
    a couple of things
    On my last Tacoma I ran a used set of 2" sway-a-way coilovers. When they needed a rebuild I sold them and went to a new set of icons. I honestly could tell no difference in performance. When I bought my current truck, I planned to go with kings, but a deal I couldn't refuse on Icons fell in my lap. Once again I wasn't that impressed. I was going to go to the kings when the ADS group buy popped up on here, and I couldn't resist the triple bypass rear shocks. The ADS coilovers and triple bypass rears totally changed how my truck rides on road and off. I love the way they perform and they were well worth the money. Now I want to save up and add a secondary bypass for the front and hydraulic bumpstops from ADS

Dogg23 likes this.
  7. May 19, 2018 at 8:08 AM
    rheath08

rheath08 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Russell
    Bakersfield, CA
    Vehicle:
    Frankenstein's Monster
    converted AWD, RC62f swap, Supercharged
    I may be late to the party but here is my 2 cents.
    I have the 2.5 remote cdc icons with 700lbs coils. They are on setting 4. Access cab, stock bumper, no sway bar.
    "To me it rides good" some sway, but not bad. Suspension is like art. You have to find what you like. Some times it's expensive trial and error. Even with A LOT of research.
    May I suggest looking into having cdc's added to your coilovers? If that is possible.
    It will give you a range to find what you like. It may just be valving you don't like

b_r_o likes this.
  8. May 19, 2018 at 8:43 AM
    lynlan1819

lynlan1819 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tacoma
    Lifted
    Should have bought one of those Pro kits for $600,just as good as and icon or King for 1/3 of the price.

9. May 19, 2018 at 9:49 AM
    stevotivo12

stevotivo12 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Stephen
    Vehicle:
    2016 Silver Tacoma TRD Sport MT
    Front hellwig sway bar,All pro sway bar end links, Fox 2.5 Resi Coilovers and Shocks, Fox 2.5 Hydraulic Bumpstops, Budbuilt Traction bar, Total Chaos UCAs w/ heim joints, Icon AAL, AFE Power Intake with dynamic scoop, URD spec U, URD short shifter, Flossy weighted shift knob, michelin tires, black badges, black tailgate letters, black grill with custom Diaz Fab Devil horn yota logo, retrofit/morimoto HID conversion, red interior LED lights, Pioneer head unit, kenwood excelon door speakers, 2 10" pioneer subs,
    @Carl_z33 should have gone with Fox shocks homie! I'm way late in the game on this one but Fox shocks are more durable than Kings and if you order from Accutune then the valving is better too

1truckdriver and *TRD* like this.
  10. May 19, 2018 at 2:53 PM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    Top plate spacers are cheap. Use them to achieve your desired ride height and that would allow you to back off the pre-load. You could experiment with 1/4 or 1/2 inch spacers and go from there

When I first installed my icons, I leveled the truck out with a leaf pack in the back. It rode stiff but for a while but that was fine with me. 2 years later I've lowered the front a little just to see what some rake would look like and I like the feel of the shocks better

11. May 19, 2018 at 2:57 PM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    When I installed my Kings several months ago I had the same reaction you're having with your Icons (maybe not as disappointed as you are but still)...my 5100s with 881 springs were softer on the street. But like you, I had to preload them to get the ride height I was used to and the coils were 600lbs as opposed to the 881s that were 500lbs.

Ultimately I lowered the front end down a half an inch and it helped, but it's still a bit stiffer than my previous setup. Which is fine by me, I mostly got them because I wanted to be able to have better offroad suspension and they are 100x better offroad than the Bilsteins were.

Also, like I said before...when you're running E rated AT or MT tires, you're going to feel every bump in the road regardless of your suspension.

I would keep the Icons if I were you and either swap in softer springs or lessen the preload on them (or both). If the preload is too much you're also going to run into CV issues...ask me how I know

rheath08 and b_r_o like this.
  12. May 19, 2018 at 5:59 PM
    tw0leftskis

tw0leftskis Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    0xApes
    Meta Verse
    Vehicle:
    yes

Last edited: Dec 31, 2021
  13. May 24, 2018 at 4:10 PM
    MattCowsmasher

Member:
    Temple, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 sporty dcsb 4wd
    Hey after a few days with the 886s an new dakars out back definitely not as giving or plush as the icons. It’s stiff but not bone jarring by any means better than stock by far I am happy with the ride.

14. May 29, 2018 at 11:25 AM
    Carl_z33

Carl_z33 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    UPDATE

So I called DC shock services and the guy told me they can re-valve the icons, but he said that honestly 98% of the problem is the tires, not the suspension. I am running E rated tires so I just purchased some BFG KO2 C range and I hope this will solve my issue as to why the suspension feels “stiff”...
    I didn’t know much about E range vs C range tires so don’t flame me lol

15. May 29, 2018 at 11:29 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    called it....I have this experience every time I'm on the trail, if I don't air down to at least 15psi on my KO2s (e rated) it feels like I'm hitting curbs with every bump, rock, whoop, etc. And this is with Kings (front), Icons rear. It would be worse with lesser suspension but if your tires are hard/stiff as rocks, you're going to feel it.

C rated should really help, especially on the street but be mindful of it when you're out wheeling...always carry at least one spare with you and a tire repair kit. C rated are more likely to experience punctures/cuts than E rated. I've never had a flat with an E rated tire, and every trail flat I've come across or been part of in a group has been from a C or P rated tire, except for one time.

Interested to see though how this changes the ride for you, be sure to let us know.

dtaco06 likes this.
  16. May 29, 2018 at 11:33 AM
    Carl_z33

Carl_z33 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Carl
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tacoma TRD OR 4x4 DCSB
    Yup! If I don’t air down to 13-15 psi it feels like the shocks are filled with cement because every little bump is felt and shakes the whole cab.. hopefully these C rated KO2 will help soften up the ride.

Yeah I always carry tire repair kit and now i will have to get a used spare because I just spend 1200 on these new tires

17. May 29, 2018 at 11:46 AM
    batacoma

batacoma Truck Wars

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 Regular Cab 4spd
    I have Icons and still have my swaybar on road handaling improved. They feel about as stiff as the 5100s that they replaced, but the ride feels tighter. I'm looking at ADS to replace the Icons. Doubt if I will pay to have them rebuilt.

18. May 29, 2018 at 11:50 AM
    MMoreno16

MMoreno16 Cupcake Forest Ranger

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD OR DCSB
    tcjacado likes this.
  19. May 29, 2018 at 11:55 AM
    JerryTaco

JerryTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Zero issues what so ever and absolutely love everything about them. Performance on and off-road is unbelievable and the RXT rear suspension is the best I've had out of all the rear setups I have gone through

edit, 700# springs are the ticket. Ride is night and day different.

TWTaco, hellppy and MMoreno16[QUOTED] like this.
  20. May 29, 2018 at 12:00 PM
    hellppy

hellppy Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Sean
    Phoenix, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2018 TRD Off-Road DCLB
    Everything he just said! I love my ICON everything both on and off-road! Couldn't be happier with them and wouldn't go with anything else!

TWTaco likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top