1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ICON LEAKING RESI, WARNING, NOTCHING, BS AND F**KS GIVEN

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by CaptainReverso, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Apr 10, 2017 at 10:48 PM
    D-Rose

D-Rose Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Devon
    Las Vegas, NV
    Vehicle:
    2011 dcsb tx pro
    The shock mount notch/sand:bananadead:

2. Apr 10, 2017 at 10:49 PM
    bullaculla

bullaculla IKA fabrications

Member:
    Da big big island!
    Vehicle:
    2013 MGM DCSB Tacoma 4X4 TRD Off Road
    All pro 3 link SAS kit, Diamond axle, kings on 37" MTR/K
    No because those are kings ;)
    And also it's 4Runner.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2017
    Lord Helmet likes this.
  3. Apr 11, 2017 at 2:09 AM
    SpeedoJosh

SpeedoJosh Well-Known Member

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    2010 Access cab, Base, 4x4
    The resi isn't a bad thing. It serves a purpose. Most people think they're just for cooling, but King has a video about them and articles have been posted here before as to the use of them. It'll probably cost about the same for a custom one w/o from King. So, you could go with a different brand, but if you want Kings due to their reliability/reputation, I wouldn't shy away from the resi option.

You nailed it with ride quality too. My local group has a couple guys with higher end setups (Kings) and it's noticeable in the difference. Especially when the guys are going over bumpy dirt roads, and have to wait for the others b/c they can't comfortably go as fast. I didn't fully understand until I had trouble keeping up with groups in my Jeep. They were able to travel a lot faster to the slow speed stuff than myself. What they would almost float over, had my jeep bouncing around to the point of annoyance.

Last edited: Apr 11, 2017
    WendyTaco[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Apr 11, 2017 at 8:35 PM
    browndirtcowboy

browndirtcowboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Manteca
    I have had my front Icon shocks leaking oil they dont have resi's. Icon rebuilt them under warranty. I have resi's in the rear I didnt notch the bucket and I havent had any troubles yet. Keeping my fingers crossed.

RacecarGuy likes this.
  5. May 8, 2017 at 2:43 PM
    BarberRider

BarberRider Merit Badges: Scuba Cliff diving Mirror Awareness

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
    I don't have time to read the whole thread right now. But both my rears and one front are leaking. Icon said they will not warranty the rears because they werent notched. But others have had warranty cover theirs caused by same thing. @0210

They said they amended the instructions two years ago so only customers who purchased before then would be grandfathered. Is that timeline correct, and is it common for them to deny warranty? does it depend on who you talk to, or if you say you notched them? IMO shocks at this price should be lifetime transferable no questions asked warranty

Coot83 likes this.
  6. May 8, 2017 at 2:45 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    When did you buy the shocks? I believe icon made an addendum in their install guide at the end of last summer stating if the shock
    Mounts weren't notched then they would void warranty.

7. May 8, 2017 at 2:46 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Is this a statement or a question? We've been over this in depth in this thread that if your instructions state to notch it, you're SOL.

bullaculla and Coot83 like this.
  8. May 8, 2017 at 2:49 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    xhss9[1].jpg

9. May 8, 2017 at 2:51 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
    yeah let me just take 2 hours to read through this entire thread! ill get right on it sir!

10. May 8, 2017 at 2:55 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    1) How are people getting warrantied without notches after instruction amendment?

2) When is the verified date Icon amended instructions? Purchase date is not proof one way or another, as I could have bought shocks that sat in inventory for a year or more.

11. May 8, 2017 at 2:56 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    1) They're not
    2) You'll have to look at your instructions if you've still got them (unlikely). When did you have these installed? I believe they started adding the new instructions July of last year.

BarberRider[QUOTED] and Coot83 like this.
  12. May 8, 2017 at 2:58 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    I think Icon is playing the game that when you got the shocks, that the place you got it from should of been aware of the recently notched info. If not, then I think they might place the blame on the seller of these items. In all serious man, when did you get your shocks paid for? If you have a receipt of some sort of buyer history then that can help your case.

BarberRider[QUOTED] likes this.
  13. May 8, 2017 at 3:05 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    I'll resist the urge to be a smart ass to give you a real answer for a minute because I can see this going sideways real fast for you. Plus I don't see why we need to relive this thread.
    First thing, it was discovered that Icon quietly amended their instructions to notch the rear bucket. As far as an actual date, I don't know. It's buried somewhere in this thread straight from an Icon rep and I don't know you well enough to find it for you. Since the change in instructions, Icon stopped repairing the rear shocks under warranty and there hasn't been anyone that I know of to get a free repair (specifically referring to a leak at the resi hose fitting) after that. If your leak is somewhere else (shaft seal for example) then you still have a chance.
    Second: You're right, purchase date does not verify manufacture date, but your first post here stated that you "don't have time to read". My meme was in response to the possibility (almost guarantee) that you probably didn't read the instructions either to see if notching was mentioned. If you still have them and there is no notching mentioned, then you might get a free rebuild. I find that highly unlikely since IIRC the amended instructions went out about a year and a half ago, but it is a possibility. I doubt many vendors have the warehouse space to keep old Icon stock that long.
    Third, if you had a professional shop do the install, then there is a tiny miniscule chance that you might be able to get them to eat the cost of the rebuild but also highly unlikely.

BarberRider[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. May 8, 2017 at 3:10 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    i paid marie at headstrong 10-6-16 and a local off road shop installed them. they have worse CS than Icon. I have a better chance of getting a date with evangeline lilly then getting them to accept responsibility

sierra141, Bridge4 and Coot83[QUOTED] like this.
  15. May 8, 2017 at 3:13 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    thank you, a very helpful response. quite out of character for you i get the feeling. why not have OP or someone on first page edit their posts and include that. I just hate getting fucked but whatever. I'm going to rebuild all mine and then sell these pieces of shit

16. May 8, 2017 at 3:17 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Sorry to hear that man, yea by them being silent in this will likely screw over others in the next few months too. Icon could of done a much better job at this communication as there is a good chance that your shocks could of sat just long enough to miss the notification in the install instructions. Did icon write you or talk to you on the phone?

17. May 8, 2017 at 3:18 PM
    BarberRider

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    i just called them and talked to a girl, she didnt get any of my info though

Coot83[QUOTED] likes this.
  18. May 8, 2017 at 3:19 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    take them off, send them in, get them rebuilt, put them back on, make sure to notch where it hits. end.

19. May 8, 2017 at 3:23 PM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade DCLB
    Bullshit.

I purchased my ICON stage 4 kit in August of 2016, 9 months ago, and the instructions that came with the shocks were Revision A, which had no mention of notching anything.

[​IMG]

Note the revision in the top-right corner. Revisions B and C have come out since. As a customer, I was never notified about any revisions, and I'm guessing no one else was, either.

Bridge4, DVexile and Coot83 like this.
  20. May 8, 2017 at 3:26 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Agreed man, I think the earliest guys could of known about the notching was around June of last year. Man Icon is really full of shit if they are telling guys that. Each story makes them one step shadier. I can atleast tell you King wouldnt treat you like this.

Cr250jumper likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top