1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ICON LEAKING RESI, WARNING, NOTCHING, BS AND F**KS GIVEN

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by CaptainReverso, Mar 28, 2017.

1. May 8, 2017 at 3:27 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    How much would that cost for three shocks with shipping and service? I assume more than 300?

2. May 8, 2017 at 3:28 PM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade DCLB
    They did warranty my latest leaking shock without any bullshit or runaround, I'll give them that.

That said, their customer service is between non-existent and incompetent.

Coot83[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. May 8, 2017 at 3:30 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    I've never turned anyone away that came to me looking for help. I'm always reminded that we were all new once, myself included. At some point every jaded asshole here didn't know shit about cars or trucks and needed help from someone else. But when you open up with "I don't have time to read", I interpret that as "I'm lazy." That provides the perfect opportunity to fuck with you since I can tell by that point your feathers are already ruffled. Since you're relatively new here, I offer this simple advice: If you do the leg work and honestly can't find the answer you're looking for, TW members will gather their resources to help solve your problem. Some might even leave their homes and families to offer actual physical help without ever having met you. But if you come here expecting this site to just answer whatever vague question you type in, you'll never learn anything and you will be openly mocked. These guys don't forget stuff like that.

FWIW, Icon isn't a bad brand, but lately their customer service has been questionable. Luckily my shocks are going strong and at this point I'm confident in my ability to research and learn to rebuild them myself, so there's no need to call them.

4. May 8, 2017 at 3:30 PM
    paranoid56

paranoid56 Well-Known Member

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    it depends on who does it, but find a local place to rebuild it as it will save on shipping. there are dealers all over that can help with that.

5. May 8, 2017 at 3:31 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    I wonder if by them having a secondary location now do their service if that might help cause a disconnect with their service? I would like to think that at one time Icon was better than this right? Or is their claim to fame all just hype?

6. May 8, 2017 at 3:32 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Also, although he is going out on a limb here...ghost ship hates you.

Nothing personal, just how he is.

GHOST SHIP[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. May 8, 2017 at 3:36 PM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST
    :thumbsup:

If anyone out there is looking for likes, @ChadsPride is your guy. I'm the other guy.

Maybe I should have my own sticker GB.:cool:

Last edited: May 8, 2017
  8. May 8, 2017 at 3:37 PM

0210 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2016 TRD Sport Upgrade DCLB
    Their marketing and "stage" kits are on point in that they play on all our egos that want to go to the highest "stage" we can afford. Constant advertising by well-known brands (like Overland Expedition) also plays into the marketing game. The suspension is good stuff (when it's not leaking) but I don't believe it's worth the price. The constant screwups by their customer service is enough to completely write them off IMO.

I will do what I can to make my ICON components last as long as possible, and rebuild myself when the time comes, but I would never spend another penny on any of their suspension.

9. May 8, 2017 at 4:04 PM
    BarberRider

BarberRider Merit Badges: Scuba Cliff diving Mirror Awareness

Member:
    First Name:
    Fletch F. Fletch
    Trussville, AL
    Vehicle:
    1974 Dodge Monaco
    It's got a cop motor, a 440-cubic-inch plant. It's got cop tires, cop suspension, cop shocks. It's a model made before catalytic converters so it'll run good on regular gas.
    all of the ones on icons page are in the west/south west. I'm in AL and don't trust anyone here.

The icon CS rep told me that "all vendors should be similarly priced to what icon used to charge". which is $70 for my 2.0 rr rears and 125 for my coilovers. thats each, pmus shipping. from my limited research on vendors, 303 is the cheapest i have read of so far at x$100 a shock'. thats what I read in another thread, don't know if the price depends on type of shock, rr or not, coilover etc.

but at any rate having a vendor rebuild them is not cheap. best thing is to do it yourself like 0210, but I spent a small fortune on 'high-end' shocks specifically to avoid that...

10. May 8, 2017 at 4:17 PM
    T4RFTMFW

T4RFTMFW Well-Known Member

Member:
    Any rebuildable shock is going to need to be.. rebuilt.

This is why I stick with basic shocks, because I don't want to tinker with shit on a daily driver, and I don't want to pay someone else to do it for me.

If you don't want to play the game, don't blame the equipment.

sierra141 and DVexile like this.
  11. May 8, 2017 at 4:25 PM
    DVexile

DVexile Exiled to the East

Member:
    First Name:
    Ken
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB V6 TRD OR 4X4
    Yep, this needs to be brought up more on every "What is the best 3 inch lift?" thread. Icon, Kind and Fox will all need to be rebuilt and if you don't they will eventually leak. In theory the rebuildable shocks themselves last the life of the truck and so you may "save" over the long run with rebuilds as opposed to replacements. In practice it can be a royal PIA to handle the logistics of a rebuild since it means your truck is down (or rather up on jack stands) while the rebuild is being done. Full replacement is logistically a lot easier.

To be fair in this case people are bent out of shape because of an early rebuild required due to deficient instructions and design by Icon. I still don't understand why Icon doesn't just cover these and is following the penny-wise, pound-foolish avenue of rejecting warranty claims. The customer is already severely inconvenienced by having to send the shocks in for a rebuild - it isn't like anyone is going to abuse this. And if they want this to stop they really need to put a red tag on that fitting warning installers to check for interference and grind the bucket.

Coot83 and GHOST SHIP like this.
  12. May 8, 2017 at 4:33 PM
    TashcomerTexas

TashcomerTexas My truck is a whiner

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2003 TRD DC King Ranch Edition
    Fucking response of the year. Every newbie should know this. Common sense ain't all that common.

13. May 8, 2017 at 4:36 PM
    paranoid56

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    you know that non rebuildable shocks leak too right? my stock bilstein rear shock was leaking lol. all shocks can leak, its not just rebuildable ones.

14. May 8, 2017 at 4:38 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    I really think like you said that they need to put a red tag on this sort of stuff. Most companies would give some sort of threshold in the interim of shocks first being introduced with the new revision, but here they just assumed that once it was published that all previous guys are revoked when obviously their stock reflects differently with older instructions.

My thing is this...did their shocks get a redesign to require notching or did they just decide that they had a "flawed design" for multiple years and finally figured out that in order to make a successful product it needs to now be notched? Either way, I really think they need more visibility with the recent "notched or we wont warranty dick" approach.

DVexile[QUOTED] and scottalot like this.
  15. May 8, 2017 at 4:38 PM
    TashcomerTexas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Yeah but most have to be sent in and revalved and all that. Some people don't have that down time.

scottalot likes this.
  16. May 8, 2017 at 4:39 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    :rolleyes:

I didn't say regular emulsion shocks don't leak.

DVexile, EatSleepTacos and Coot83 like this.
  17. May 8, 2017 at 4:40 PM
    paranoid56

Member:
    San Diego
    Vehicle:
    14 double cab taco
    I am saying ALL shocks can go bad

18. May 8, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    T4RFTMFW

Member:
    Who isn't saying that exact same thing?

Not sure your point. You're making up a topic that never existed.

19. May 8, 2017 at 4:41 PM
    TashcomerTexas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Should I get a butt load of chick fil a or Buffalo Wild Wings tonight?

Coot83, GHOST SHIP and T4RFTMFW like this.
  20. May 8, 2017 at 4:42 PM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    I saw Jason talking about in depth shock stuff the other day and decided that was above my pay grade. I see some of it stuck with you.:eek:

Products Discussed in

To Top