1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ICON LEAKING RESI, WARNING, NOTCHING, BS AND F**KS GIVEN

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by CaptainReverso, Mar 28, 2017.

1. Apr 9, 2018 at 5:48 PM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    GHOST SHIP[QUOTED] likes this.
  2. Apr 10, 2018 at 12:51 PM
    catastrofe

catastrofe Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bob
    Montrose, CO
    Vehicle:
    2022 F350 Tremor
    1 + 1. :D

3. Apr 16, 2018 at 1:24 PM
    tacos_modern_life

tacos_modern_life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno TRD Pro
    TRD S/C, afe/TRD intake, TRD exhaust, Work Meisters, Retrax, Baja Designs Amber Fogs
    After reading this, I will not buy Icons. Was going to get 2.5 all around with RXT leaf. Another lost customer for them :cool:

sierra141 and Coot83 like this.
  4. Apr 16, 2018 at 1:36 PM
    tacos_modern_life

tacos_modern_life Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Portland, OR
    Vehicle:
    2015 Inferno TRD Pro
    TRD S/C, afe/TRD intake, TRD exhaust, Work Meisters, Retrax, Baja Designs Amber Fogs
    True. But bad customer service does have to.

5. Apr 16, 2018 at 9:28 PM
    adriancast

adriancast Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adrian
    Ontario, Ca
    Vehicle:
    2005 Tacoma 4x4 TRD Off-Road
    -2.5 Donahoe Coilovers -All Pro Standard Leaf Pack -All Pro U Bolt Flip Kit -Front/RearWheeler Super Bumps -Extended rear Bilstein 5100s -Flowmaster 40 Series -All Pro IFS Skid -All Pro Transmission Skid -Bruteforce Hybrid Bumper -30" Double Row LED bar -400 Watt Anytime -TRD Seat Covers -ABS Kill Switch -Locking Center Console Mod -Rear Differential Breather -BHLM -Anytime Fog Light Mod -Toyota Hilux Snorkel
    The problem was icon tried to cover up their mistake. Even switched their instructions on installation.

6. Apr 17, 2018 at 4:48 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    TC 3.5 LT, RCV axles, Demello sliders, BD light bar/fogs, LP6, DMZ rear, SOS skids, custom bumper, King 16" triples, Locked-on hydro rear bumps...
    My frustration is they make their hose line orientation close enough to the shock buckets that you have to notch them to keep them from getting shifted and possibly causing a leak. Im an LT guy and have no issue with modified parts, but this is supposed to be an OEM application that is strictly bolt on...yet REQUIRES your buckets to be notched or else you will void your warranty.

I don't know of any other OEM manufacturers that make their customers do this. Lets not forget how quick their shocks rust, exclusive proprietary parts that arnt easily acquired, and the infamous Top-hat failures for the front coils. Considering these issues, I don't think quality customer service would be able to change the tide for me...which they fail to have.

EatSleepTacos likes this.
  7. Apr 17, 2018 at 4:52 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    Agreed. After everything I've seen on here, I would never consider icon. If I ever make the jump to high performance coilovers, I'll just go balls deep and go king or ADS

Coot83[QUOTED] likes this.
  8. Apr 17, 2018 at 4:57 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Yea man, whats sad is the community up by us is swarming with their products. It would be cool to see you go ADS as it would be nice to see someone local with their stuff. I don't have any experience with their stuff, but hear ADS is highly regarded.

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  9. Apr 17, 2018 at 4:59 AM
    EatSleepTacos

EatSleepTacos Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Randy
    West Valley, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2017 4Runner
    @jowybyo just threw some ADS stuff on his rig, so if you ever cross paths you can check it out. Everything I've seen online has been great, and I hear they have some sort of coating so it's more resistant to stuff such as road salt. That's a nice tipping point for me.

Coot83[QUOTED] likes this.
  10. Apr 17, 2018 at 5:05 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Ah that's cool to know, I will have to keep an eye out. I have been contemplating getting my rear shocks ceramic coated to help with oxidation and crap, pretty cool to know ADS is already one step ahead on that.

EatSleepTacos[QUOTED] likes this.
  11. Apr 17, 2018 at 5:06 AM
    jowybyo

jowybyo Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Baltimore, MD
    Vehicle:
    '14 MGM DCSB Postrunner 4wd Conversion, Debadged
    Full disclosure, I haven't read this whole thread so I don't know what the hell we are discussing. But yea, the ADS kit is pretty nice. I still have to get them dialed in. Plus, I'm riding around with heavy duty dakars and no added weight. So, it's pretty much like driving an empty dump truck. We made the decision to go ADS after talking with Marie @HeadStrong Off-Road about the quality of ADS vs King.

12. Apr 17, 2018 at 6:01 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    So the fox's are piggy back resi instead of remote? Normally piggy back can be a little more challenging to install as they tend to need more room as is, especially with the spacing of a rear shock config with rubbing on the tires without some sort of wheel spacer. I assume your fox's were guaranteed for OEM replacement right?

I will agree with you that competency is a legit concern when installing any part on a truck, but for Icon to change their warranty process for remote resi rear shocks because of the notching and also screwing others over by not making this verbage visible to their install process is kind of a cheap move. Some folks simply found out the hard way that they violated their warranty because their parts didn't have the up to date instruction due to sitting on the shelves, yet icon held them responsible for the new standard instruction that was only made known to those AFTER they already had a problem.

13. Apr 17, 2018 at 6:16 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    So wait did you end up modifying your vehicle for the shocks ahead of time or did it lead to a leak eventually? If it did leak, how did Fox deal with it? I agree that if something looks like it wont work or function safely, it is good to call it on an install and modify accordingly. That said, I just never get the vibe that icon makes themselves very transparent in the support of their products when they claim to be the ultimate bolt on app.

Pickeledpigsfeet likes this.
  14. Apr 17, 2018 at 7:42 AM
    GHOST SHIP

GHOST SHIP hates you.

Member:
    First Name:
    GHOST

thYAAU7M60.jpg

SC2SC, DoorDing, scottalot and 2 others like this.
  15. Apr 17, 2018 at 12:33 PM
    Jibbs

Jibbs "When in doubt, throttle out!"

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    2017 SCREW Raptor Lightning Blue
    Whoooooooshchchch
    As stated, Fox rears have the same issue. I went out of my way to do everything I could to provide that hose clearance without having to modify my truck because fuck all of that noise on a product advertised as 'direct bolt on, factory replacement' that doesn't even mention that you *might* have to modify the shock bucket and jeopardize it's structural integrity. Still snapped one hose completely off, and punctured the other hose. No fluid at all left. I sent my shocks back to Fox a month ago and short of them being marked 'received' a week after they actually got delivered, I haven't heard anything from Fox.

They're slowly plummeting down my list of favorite suspension brands because of this entirely non-existent customer service- multiple phone calls, requests for return calls, and emails gone completely ignored. If you're busy, fine, but at least give me a fucking monthly update...

Anyway, if I ever get those back I'll be able to tell you how they choose to handle it. I have a suspicion I'll have the fight with them over 'it wasn't in the instructions'. I will staunchly defend the position that if you advertise something as not needing modification to fit and function, that it's not my job to expect to handle that.

sierra141 and Coot83 like this.
  16. Apr 17, 2018 at 1:52 PM
    Pickeledpigsfeet

Pickeledpigsfeet Well-Known Member

Member:
    Foothills, CA
    Didnt have same shock issue, but this has also been my experience with fox customer support. I wont ever buy anything from them again. I should have known better with all my past drama with getting warranty work on my mtb and mx shocks.

Coot83 likes this.
  17. Apr 17, 2018 at 7:21 PM
    Jibbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    Whoooooooshchchch
    Don't be a prick.

18. Apr 18, 2018 at 4:16 AM
    Jibbs

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Cincinnati
    Vehicle:
    Whoooooooshchchch
    You're presenting "alternate thinking" where it is somehow OK for companies with millions of dollars of R&D budget to release products that are misadvertised as not requiring modifications, then taking jabs at people who aren't ok with that, or who trust it and experience failures. If a stranger is acting like a prick, I'm gonna call it like I see it. Im sure youre a fine person in real life :D. Also, iirc someone else has posted on this forum about how they DID make the modification to that shock mount and it led to the whole thing cracking and failing catastrophically later- a "predictable failure" as well, which is now entirely on the owner for making modifications in the first place.

I had an angle grinder sitting 5 feet from me when I installed these. I recognized the potential issue and did everything I could to position the shocks in a way with relief to the hose besides modify the truck, because I trusted the instructions. Heaven forbid, right? I needed the shocks on the truck for a trip 2 days later and didn't have time to return them and deal with Fox's blazing fast customer service /s

In my mind the real lack of critical thinking is this: if the consumers all did their own modifications to make these fit and never had any problems, or never reported their problems, then the companies think everything is peachy and never improve an obvious flaw in their documentation and/or design. That's simply unacceptable.

19. Apr 18, 2018 at 4:48 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    Shit that sounds like an utter pain in the ass. My background is the mountain biking world and I have grown to hate fox because they have been like that in the biking community before they started making front forks. Funny thing is back in the early 2000's I always wanted to get one of their front forks, but with all their delays and costly rebuilds I never got around to getting a fork from them. Now a days, fox is a last resort to me simply because of this experience. I am hopeful things turn out well for ya...

On a side note, I believe that fox was forced to up their customer service game in regards to the stock shocks on the raptors as I think they got so slow that ford wanted to start penalizing them financially for late returns.

Jibbs[QUOTED] likes this.
  20. Apr 18, 2018 at 6:25 AM
    Coot83

Coot83 DORKEL NATION

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Scottsdale, Az
    Vehicle:
    2012 Baja TX
    I do agree with this in that if the product after all implementation of install STILL doesn't seem to be legit, it is your call to push the reality of the situation without some sort of fix to the dilemma. I know with my truck, there are plenty of times where a modification takes place simply because the product isn't built to fit enough to retain some sort of safety clearance/perfect fit. Unless its a critical and sensitive area, I generally just cut away whats needed and move on as most things I have encountered metal wise either are generally over built to a degree or have little to no loads on them.

Where I do have beef though is if the product likely could use modification for best results, yet the literature in terms of warranty isn't established visibly to the public to where the customer is unknowingly screwing themselves because of it due to miscommunication from the manufacturer like Icon did. Its sad things like this have to be considered with parts when the install has such issues, but atleast the forum does a decent job of creating a general consensus on such matters.

DoorDing likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top