1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon stage II or OME HD?

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by Desert PineTaco, Nov 15, 2012.

?

ome hd or icon stage 2

Poll closed Dec 15, 2012.
  1. OME Hd

3 vote(s)
    8.8%
  2. icon stage 2 with uniball and dakars

31 vote(s)
    91.2%
  1. Nov 15, 2012 at 1:28 PM
    Desert PineTaco

Desert PineTaco [OP] Yup

Member:
    dezert in the summa, mountainz in the winta
    Vehicle:
    smashed (totaled) and new used Tacoma brotha
    TOTALED :( (DPT1) OME Coilover HD, OME nitrocharger f/b, Dakar springs and AAL, ARB deluxe bull-bar, KMC XD enduro wheels, 255/85/16 KM2, battle wounds too severe to see another day, May your cab and frame continue on to the afterlife and your engine and all the other perfectly fine components be donated to other Taco's in need of a transplant to see another day of wheelin. WE will always miss you, R.I.P. DPT1 DPT2 TRD offroad/sport packages= locker, bilstein, hood scoop, AND black hub caps!!!, dual deep cycle batts, alarm, blue dash lights, and some other crazy electrical stuff going on with amp and subs, A/T FlipPac (for sale), custom grille, and black hub caps... and a hood scoop... and did I mention that I have black hub caps? and a missing front skidplate??
    So, I am about ready to start building on the new 08tac4x4 access cab. On my previous build, I ran OME HD and was pleased with the the ride except the lack in droop. So this time I am considering mid-travel via icon non resi extend travel coilovers. The price tag is pretty, so I have read all the threads on the two setups and still undecided.

I use my truck for work as a daily driver and for fun after work on a daily basis. I subscribe to the expedition faction of off-roaders: I might have some nearly stuff to push thru, but I have to make it back too. I do Alittle crawling, but as I am usually out by myself, usually turn around if it gets too technical. I drive fast enough to plane over washboard, but like to keep it at controllable speeds. At work, I have to keep it under 20mph as per permit conditions and I definitely will not be rallying at 80mph over whoops for hours on end, and my truck will surely never leave the ground, but I do drive it for what its worth and explore all over the backcountry from the Mojave to the Mountain
    So what's yall's vote? Is icon over-the-top for me, or will I surely not regret getting icons overome?

2. Nov 15, 2012 at 1:34 PM
    Desert PineTaco

Desert PineTaco [OP] Yup

Member:
    Vehicle:
    TOTALED :( (DPT1) OME Coilover HD, OME nitrocharger f/b, Dakar springs and AAL, ARB deluxe bull-bar, KMC XD enduro wheels, 255/85/16 KM2, battle wounds too severe to see another day, May your cab and frame continue on to the afterlife and your engine and all the other perfectly fine components be donated to other Taco's in need of a transplant to see another day of wheelin. WE will always miss you, R.I.P. DPT1 DPT2 TRD offroad/sport packages= locker, bilstein, hood scoop, AND black hub caps!!!, dual deep cycle batts, alarm, blue dash lights, and some other crazy electrical stuff going on with amp and subs, A/T FlipPac (for sale), custom grille, and black hub caps... and a hood scoop... and did I mention that I have black hub caps? and a missing front skidplate??
    Oh yeah, forgot to say that if I go with ome, I will have 2k to buy all kinds of other goodies like lights, winch, topper/rack, fridge, recovery gear, tires, etc.

Tough call...

3. Nov 15, 2012 at 1:35 PM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    if you can afford it, my vote is for the extended icons

though, to fully utilize them you're going to need new control arms

4. Nov 15, 2012 at 2:03 PM
    Toy Yoda

Toy Yoda gotta make sure Youtube comes down to tape this

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Vehicle:
    06 DCLB
    OME, ARB, Warn, Snugtop XV
    hmmm, i suppose it depends on how extensive/expensive you want your other mods to be, I can't speak for the icons but i really like my OME's, but i don't mob through the desert all the time...maybe you could run all pro's 3" pack as i've read they give more droop than the dakars

5. Nov 16, 2012 at 8:09 PM
    Desert PineTaco

Desert PineTaco [OP] Yup

Member:
    Vehicle:

Ya forgot to say that. Looking into Camburg Uniball.

6. Nov 16, 2012 at 8:16 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    total chaos upper control arms are much better than the camburgs.

7. Nov 16, 2012 at 8:35 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    I voted Icon. If you can afford it, why not go with that route? You will have more money to spend on mods a later date.

8. Nov 19, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    mach1man001

mach1man001 eh whatever

Member:
    First Name:
    Rob
    Blackstone, MA
    Vehicle:
    '09 Sport DCLB Met Grey
    Toyota bed mat (1st mod), Toyota all season floor mats, Rear spring TSB, Map light mod, Fog light mod, Putco yellow fog bulbs, Weather Tech window vents, Extra d-rings, Mounted mag light, TRD CAI with AFE pro dry filter, '05 front mud flaps (winter only), 2 set's of wheels/tires, 285/75/16 Hankook MT's, Black Painted 1st Gen TRD wheels (wheeling set) Black powder coated FJ Cruiser with 265/70/17 BFGoodrich KO2's (everyday), painted center of grill & bumper black, Devil horns, OME with 885's + spacers front, OME shocks w/OMD designed rear springs, Front diff drop, Rear trailer plug relocate, ATO IFS skid, Relentless Trans & Transfer skids, BAMF bolt on rock sliders, Relentless tailgate reinforcement, Uniden 75 CB radio, BAMF antenna bracket, TRD exhaust, high lift jack w/ATO mounts. And of course ProEFX Towing Mirrors!
    How come?

9. Nov 19, 2012 at 12:41 PM
    SierraExp

SierraExp Its the Journey, not the Destination Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    Sierra Expeditions
    Mesa, Arizona
    x2, I have found the compete opposite to be true.

OP, it all comes down to your budget and the use of the vehicle. Shoot me a PM if you have any questions. I have set up many trucks with both systems your considering. Each has its pros and cons so let me know if I can be of any help to get you started, sounds like you're going to have a sweet build when its all said and done.

10. Nov 19, 2012 at 3:35 PM
    Tuctaco

Tuctaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Todd
    Tucson, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2012 MGM TRD OR 4x4
    Katzkins, Redline hood struts, Pop & Lock,285/75/16 Toyo Open County ATll, 16X8 Konig Countersteer, Icon extended coilovers, Icon rear shocks, Icon progressive leaf pack, LR UCA's, extended brake lines,
    I installed my Icons a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier. Something else to look at is the Icons are rebuild-able.

11. Nov 19, 2012 at 4:23 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2019 Rubicon 4 Door,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    Camburgs get noisey, and Ive seen alot that have them installed, and the Caster isnt corrected as they have advertised them doing. Its been a while since I have seen a caster issue on them however, so things may have been fixed in that regard. Regarding the noise, they use a harder Uniball than TC does, and that results in noise. Not sure if thats been addressed as of now.

12. Nov 30, 2012 at 11:01 PM
    the.sight.picture

the.sight.picture Wishes he was in the woods.

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Blue Ridge
    Vehicle:
    2018 QuickSand
    Check out my build thread (Beginning of Money Pit)
    So have you decided on which lift yet?

13. Dec 1, 2012 at 3:36 AM
    DSYLEXC

DSYLEXC Well-Known Member

Member:
    Western Arizona, USA
    Vehicle:
    SOLD:2012 Tacoma TRD Sport DCLB 4x4
    Installed this yesterday.

2ysypygy_eed37066a98fe6edc89cb7b7fec2c7e3c2fc36c6.jpg

14. Dec 1, 2012 at 8:24 AM
    Large

Large Red

Member:
    OME.

15. Dec 1, 2012 at 12:15 PM
    bultaco

bultaco Active Member

Member:
    my stage 4 is in transit . can wait to install:D

16. Dec 1, 2012 at 5:31 PM
    DevL

DevL Well-Known Member

Member:
    Get some top spacers to go with OME to get the droop. You still get full compression.

17. Dec 5, 2012 at 11:43 AM
    Desert PineTaco

Desert PineTaco [OP] Yup

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Decided to go with the Icons :), camburg Uniball Uca, and Dakars. Got probably 300lbs in the back right now and I have been bouncing around on my timbren bumpstops so I figure the Dakars are a good option. As for Camburg vs. TC, it seems that people swear by both and bash the other so I am going to go with what was reccomended to me by Sierra Expeditions: Camburg. I also ordered a TJM deluxe bull bar and All-Pro front skid as my stock one seems to be MIA.

Install date is looking to be 10-14days out. I'm stoked, I can't wait to scrap this shitty suspension before I snap another shock...

Thanks for all your input folks :)

Products Discussed in

To Top