1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Icon Suspension Tuning Stage 7

Discussion in 'Suspension' started by sunkist taco, Jun 21, 2017.

1. Jun 21, 2017 at 11:31 PM
    sunkist taco

sunkist taco [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Luke
    Vehicle:
    2017 Tacoma TRD Off Road Inferno
    BAMF Grill, Southern Style Off Road Slimline bumper, Smittybuilt XRC winch, Icon Stage 7 Suspension, RCI skid plates. Plenty of brush scratches down the side... (custom Pin-striping)
    I've been looking for info on shock setup and tuning for icon suspension. I have CDC equipt coilovers up front and omega double bypass shocks in the rear with hydraulic bumpstops.

So far I am very happy and very impressed with the off road performance, on my first test ride I was able to keep adding compression until I stopped bottoming out on big bumps. The faster I drive the smoother it gets.

On road it is a bit rough, I dialed the front CDC valves to setting 3 and the front feels really good on the street. I am a bit lost in adjusting the rear shocks, I am wondering if anybody else is running omega bypass rears and what settings are you using? Every day I have been making slight changes but Im a bit lost and I feel like the ride can be a little better.

Test drive video: https://goo.gl/photos/SLWWXfhUtEY8fxRZ9

SixthSnail likes this.
  2. Aug 2, 2017 at 1:27 AM
    ktmslado

ktmslado Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    17 trd pro taco
    2.5 fox dsc/icon uca, icon omega bypass rear/icon aal, icon bumps Wrangler mtr 285/70-17/method grids
    Hey man. Just stumbled upon this and figured I'd give my 2 cents.
    I'm running the omegas on the rear of my 17 trd pro with the icon bumps and what im at is all the way soft on compression and all the way soft(slow) on rebound.
    I don't feel the shock is valved correctly for the type of driving that Im doing with it.
    I've tried every setting out of the 30 clicks on each rebound and compression. Even for on road driving I don't like the way it feels with 5 clicks of compression.
    Guessing that with a rtt and overlanding gear it would feel better cause when I have my ktm in the bed it does feel more soft and forgiving.
    As for airing the truck there's no need for added compression as long as u have the bump stops. Add weight to the rear and then I add a few clicks of compression.
    Thinking the only way to get it to "Baja" the right way would be a revalve once it's time for a service.
    Also remember that they prob have these valved and geared more for overlanding/crawling than Baja style driving.

3. Aug 2, 2017 at 2:42 AM
    Stinktaco808

Stinktaco808 Well-Known Member

Member:
    I too would like to hear more on the omega settings.

4. Aug 2, 2017 at 8:23 AM
    *TRD*

*TRD* Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Carson, Ca
    Start with the bypasses adjustments all the way open and close compression relatively quickly until it feels too stiff and back it off a bit. If it's too bouncy very slowly close rebound until it stops.

That'll be the best you can do without going to the desert and having them professionally tuned.

5. Aug 2, 2017 at 9:07 AM
    ktmslado

ktmslado Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Vehicle:
    17 trd pro taco
    2.5 fox dsc/icon uca, icon omega bypass rear/icon aal, icon bumps Wrangler mtr 285/70-17/method grids
    Yes that is just a method to tune shocks. But when the valving is off from the start there is nothing to tune. I would need 15 clicks softer to be in the middle of the range

6. Aug 2, 2017 at 2:45 PM
    *TRD*

*TRD* Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Carson, Ca
    You're correct, that would only work if the base valving was good.

We're planning to do a tuning session with a bunch of Tacomas and 4Runners in Johnson Valley, we could certainly do the Icon Omega shocks too.

Products Discussed in

To Top