1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

ICON Vehicle Dynamics Delta Joint Retrofit Kits for 1” Uniball Applications

Discussion in 'ICON Vehicle Dynamics' started by Icon_Adrian, May 8, 2018.

1. Aug 14, 2021 at 1:36 AM
    mk5

mk5 Probably wrong about this

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 access cab 4x4
    Hi @Icon_Adrian

My truck ('05 4x4 Tacoma) has Icon Uniball tubular UCAs installed by a prior owner. I think the Uniballs and/or bushings are worn out, so I'd like to rebuild the UCAs. It sounds like you now promote Delta Joints in all applications. (Right? Or, if Uniballs are still supported, what is the correct replacement part number for my control arm? What do you recommend?)

Here is my proposed parts list:

Bushings: 614504 -- 58450 / 58451 REPLACEMENT BUSHING AND SLEEVE KIT
    Delta Joints: 614550 -- 05-UP TACO/07-UP TUNDRA/16-UP TITAN XD/19-UP GM 1500 DELTA JOINT KIT
    Tool: 614520 -- DELTA JOINT INSTALL ADAPTER AND SHIM

I have ball joint press and a hydraulic press, as well as a lathe to turn adapters if needed, but I value my time and have no experience servicing aftermarket control arms. So I'd like to start with the right parts and tools for the job. Please let me know if the above shopping list is correct, or if you have different recommendations.

Thanks!

2. Aug 27, 2021 at 10:56 PM
    Gmak621

Gmak621 Łøādîñg…

Member:
    Nørth Çøast
    Vehicle:
    2021 TRD-ØR
    I have realized it’s better off just emailing or calling them with issues

mk5[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Sep 15, 2021 at 2:35 AM
    mk5

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 access cab 4x4
    Well... I figured I'd just give the parts a try.

Here's the verdict: The above two parts are correct for UB tubular UCAs. The job went pretty smooth and I'm very pleased with the quality of the new Delta Joints. I also have to say, the bushings are a really great design! (My old ones were totally fine, but something is loose and noisy in my suspension and I can't for the life of me figure out what it is, so I'm just blindly replacing everything now.)

However, I would skip buying the tool ("DELTA JOINT INSTALL ADAPTER AND SHIM"), because:
    1. It requires a bit of machine work to make it work with the tubular arms,
    2. You don't need the tapered shim for tubular arms (only needed for the billet style arms), and
    3. It costs like $70, and you could just buy the steel to make your own for like $10, for the same or less effort.

The problem is that the tool is a bit to wide to fit through the tubular joint bore, to press out the old uniballs. The tool is basically a ~4" long piece of 1-3/4", 3/16" steel tube, with a welded end cap. The material is a bit oversized, ~1.765", whereas the upper opening on my control arm was 1.733". So I turned the end of the tool down to 1.730" to make sure it didn't bind while pressing out the old uniball. (In fact it turned out my other arm was a little smaller, because the tool wound up thoroughly jammed in the bore and I had to press it back out to free it.)

turned_down.jpg

The tool comes with a welded end cap, which might be useful for certain types of balljoint presses, but every balljoint press kit I've ever seen already comes with an adapter to hold hollow sleeve adapters. I used a hydraulic press, so I didn't need the end cap either. In fact, I had to spend extra time to turn and face the endcap, just so that I could get the other end to run true in the lathe, so I could turn it down to fit my tubular control arms.

press.jpg

There's no problem using the modified tool to press in the new DJs either.

So, I would say that a 4" piece of 1.75" x 3/16" steel tube stock is better for this job than this specialty tool, and would cost about $60 less. Face both ends, and turn the OD to 1.725" along maybe 1.25" length on one end. Then, put a ~1/16" bevel on the inner edge, to clear the spherical part of the uniball. That's all it takes to make your own tool!

I hope this doesn't read like a criticism of Icon or their tool. I just would recommend, for folks with tubular UCAs, to not get this rather expensive tool that is made for billet UCAs.

DJ_vs_UB.jpg

Here's a comparison of the old UB and the new DJ. The quality appears top-notch!

One final tip: If you have gusseted spindles, make sure you have either a ratcheting box-end wrench for the nylok nut (21mm or 13/16"), or a regular M14x2mm hex nut, to help with re-attaching the spindles. When you try tightening the provided nylok flange nut, the stud will start spinning long before the taper seats in the spindle. You can hold the stud still with a 10mm wrench, but then you can't get a regular socket ratchet on the nylok! Without a ratchet, and with gussets in the way of seeing what you're doing or advancing more than 30 degrees at a time, it get super tedious. Alternately, if you can find a regular hex nut that fits the spindle, you can thread it freely all the way up to seat the taper first, then remove it and install the nylok with a regular socket ratchet. Unfortunately I had neither, so now I have a sore back from crouching there fumbling with non-ratcheting wrenches for what felt like hours.

reallifedog and 74cam like this.
  4. Sep 29, 2021 at 11:09 AM
    imjustabill1970

imjustabill1970 Twitter: imjustabill1970

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    clarksville, tn
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road DCSB
    SUSPENSION: Icon Stage 4 with tubular UCAs WHEELS: Black ProComp 69 TIRES: BFG KO2s at 265/75/16 Partially debadged Diaz Fabrication Model T up front
    I have the Delta Joint as well, question about greasing it though. It has the standard "low profile grease fitting" that requires a needle adapter. Icon sells one for around $25, but is that one required to be used? I can find a less expensive one but it has a much longer needle and I don't want it to do any damage. Any help will be appreciated since I am the lease mechanically inclined individual ever but I really don't want to pay someone to do this.

Thanks.

5. Sep 29, 2021 at 11:30 AM
    mk5

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    '05 access cab 4x4
    Mine came with standard (zerks) grease fittings as well. So I removed the needle-style one and installed the zerks instead. They seem to clear the tires no problem. Although, I will probably have to remove the tires to grease them... no problem for me because I rotate the tires quite regularly.

So this is speculation, but I would imagine that any needle fitting would work for you, so long as it's the correct diameter. When you stab it in, it will hit the top of the ball, but unless you're hammering it on there, I don't see how you could do damage.

Good luck!

imjustabill1970 likes this.
  6. Sep 29, 2021 at 5:38 PM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Every auto parts store has those grease needles for prob less than $5. Hell, I bet Walmart, tractor supply and even harbor freight sell em.

7. Sep 30, 2021 at 8:44 AM
    imjustabill1970

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    clarksville, tn
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road DCSB
    SUSPENSION: Icon Stage 4 with tubular UCAs WHEELS: Black ProComp 69 TIRES: BFG KO2s at 265/75/16 Partially debadged Diaz Fabrication Model T up front
    Yeah, I know that...but they're all long needles, I was just wondering if a longer needle would do any damage when I used it.

ICON -
    [​IMG]

Advance Auto Parts -
    [​IMG]

Again, I was just wondering if a longer needle would do any damage. @mk5 answered my question though.

8. Mar 3, 2022 at 10:13 AM
    ZebraScissors

ZebraScissors Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drake
    Reno, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cav Blue TRD Pro
    Reviving this thread, curious is anyone has used these with JBA’s, or if it doesn’t matter and they will just work. Might need to pick up a set. JBA’s design here is kinda shit if I’m being honest.

9A2E12E7-30AB-4D54-B0FF-80371E31AA99.jpg

Carloss1017 likes this.
  9. Mar 3, 2022 at 11:19 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Will not work with JBA. Will only work with uniball style UCA's like TC

SR-71A and ZebraScissors[QUOTED] like this.
  10. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:54 PM
    ZebraScissors

Member:
    First Name:
    Drake
    Reno, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cav Blue TRD Pro
    Thank you for crushing my hopes and dreams.

11. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:56 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Acdelco or moog work well and super easy to replace.

Naveronski likes this.
  12. Mar 3, 2022 at 12:56 PM
    ZebraScissors

Member:
    First Name:
    Drake
    Reno, Nevada
    Vehicle:
    2018 Cav Blue TRD Pro
    the double stacked spacer design they went with instead of just a longer boot bugs me.

13. Aug 2, 2022 at 1:28 AM
    gil_S

gil_S Well-Known Member

Member:
    Seattle, WA
    Will these also work on the uniballs for Total Chaos lower control arms? I only see uppers mentioned.

reallifedog likes this.
  14. Aug 31, 2022 at 4:41 PM
    imjustabill1970

Member:
    First Name:
    bill
    clarksville, tn
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off Road DCSB
    RE Post #44 -

Stupid question...I know. So, one of my Delta Joints has the low profile fitting and the other has the Standard fitting. It's been well over 5,000 miles since I have greased anything on this suspension (yeah, I'm that guy that bought it without REALLY knowing what to do).

I wanted to replace both fittings with Standard fittings...but the M6 fittings that I bought are too small. Icon states that it's a 6mm fitting...and I just can't figure it out. I have a needle adapter for the low profile fitting, but I believe that the fittings are a bit blocked because I am an idiot.

Any helpful advice?

Thanks.

15. Aug 31, 2022 at 6:29 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    Remove fittings, match thread pitch to new fittings, enjoy.

16. Mar 4, 2023 at 5:49 AM
    Rafael1720042004

Rafael1720042004 Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Vehicle:
    2000 Toyota tacoma V6 Sr5 W/ E-Lock
    sky jacker add a leaf 3, Bilstein Yellow shocks", Front Bilstein yellow shocks, AC Delco coils, 2 inch spacer. 2 Inch wheel spacers.Internal Frame coating. External frame coating. Soda blasted engine.
    Hello. Reviving tread here. Does anyone know the part number that fits first gen Tacoma icon uca? I have the 58400. The ones that came with uniball but they get toast pretty quick here in Chicago

IMG_20230227_153717298.jpg

17. Mar 4, 2023 at 2:52 PM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    what size is the uniball?

18. Mar 4, 2023 at 3:54 PM
    Rafael1720042004

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Vehicle:
    sky jacker add a leaf 3, Bilstein Yellow shocks", Front Bilstein yellow shocks, AC Delco coils, 2 inch spacer. 2 Inch wheel spacers.Internal Frame coating. External frame coating. Soda blasted engine.
    I'm guessing it's the 1 inch. I've seen several retro fit part numbers but not sure which one to choose

19. Mar 5, 2023 at 6:21 AM
    Texoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    614526 for the fit kit, then you’ll need the 05+ Tacoma delta joints 614550

20. Mar 5, 2023 at 1:46 PM
    Rafael1720042004

Member:
    First Name:
    Rafael
    Vehicle:
    Thanks man much appreciated

Products Discussed in

To Top