1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

i'd like to know more about the Tacoma

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by EHS22, Aug 7, 2010.

1. Aug 7, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    EHS22

EHS22 [OP] New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joey
    GA
    hey everyone. i'm new to the forum and i would like to know more about Tacomas. i might be looking in to buying one soon. right now i have a 1997 Dodge 1500 4x4 with the v8. about 11mpg. thats unacceptable. i can't afford it right now im in high school and need a truck thats better on gas. i know the Tacoma is and its a good looking truck. i'd like to stick with a 4x4. the only thing im not looking forward to about maybe getting one of these is the loss of power. if i do get a Tacoma i know i want at least a v6. anyways, i just want to know everyones opinions of your Tacomas. how they drive? how good of gas mileage? (with 4x4 and the v6) and how is the power of a v6. is it pretty good? any info about these trucks will be useful.

thanks, Joey

2. Aug 7, 2010 at 2:29 PM
    tacomaprerunner

tacomaprerunner Dang liberals.

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Vehicle:
    1995 Ford F350 7.3L PowerStroke Diesel
    Welcome to the site! You won't go wrong with a Tacoma. The V6 on the first gen is a 3.4L, and the second gen is 4.0L. Both real strong engines.

3. Aug 7, 2010 at 2:34 PM
    MowTaco

MowTaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    South Dakota
    Vehicle:
    03 GMC Sierra
    You've come to the right place... there's way more stuff here than you'd ever want to know. You won't go wrong with either V6 or even a 4 banger... These are great trucks

4. Aug 7, 2010 at 2:38 PM
    TACODACKS

TACODACKS Forging Elite Fitness

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    The Streets of America

Joey-
    I have had mine for about two weeks, but have been on this forum for a while...I have a Double Cab, Long Bed, with the TRD sport package...For MPG, I am getting around 24 mixed. I am being very easy with the throttle however. It drives pretty well-doesn't handle like my WRX, but is is still fun to drive around. I towed a small (14 ft) boat with it this weekend and it handled it like a prom date. The features on this truck are awesome- back up camera, in bed power port and storage units, enough cup holders for a whole family, under seat and behind the seat storage panels, and it will last. If you look up the crash test results on the IIHS website, you will see it is pretty dam safe too. Bottom line, get one.

5. Aug 7, 2010 at 3:19 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    in the forest
    Vehicle:
    Now: 12 T4R SR5 Then: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, Bilstein 5100's front and rear, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners, CVT Mt. Bachelor RTT, custom bed rack & CBI sliders
    gas mileage with mine - 99/3.4L/V6/4X4/auto - stays around 21 - I've gotten as good as 24 and as low as 17 (winter sucks!). I rarely tow or haul with mine and its got a decent amount of power, no trouble passing vehicles on hills etc. The last Tacoma I drove - 99/3.4L/V6/4X4/manual - could handle a small trailer with 2 snow machines easily enough, but gas mileage suffered a lot.

If you ever plan on having more than one passenger, get a double cab. Xtra cabs don't really fit an adult and the back portion of the cab is more just for gear storage.

Things to watch out for - if the truck is high miles make sure all regular maintanence has been done. Watch for frame rust. And most of the stock suspensions on these trucks sucked (IMO) so save money for upgrades. Otherwise, buy and enjoy a great truck for many years.

Oh, and TW is a dangerous place. Once you're here you can never leave! And your bank account will be drained quickly, high school student or not.

6. Aug 7, 2010 at 4:55 PM
    STLharry

STLharry Lube: It's the key to penetration.

Member:
    First Name:
    Harry
    VT
    Vehicle:
    Yeti Rescue Package with 240k miles
    '95-'97 camouflaged, ARB bull bar, RAT Products skid plate kit, sliders, Green Mountain Customs rear tube bumper and overland bed rack, King coilovers with Icon neoprene covers, defenestrated sway bar, OME Rear Suspension: CS046R leafs + AAL/5125 shocks/NWOR greasable hardware/U-bolt flip kit; S13WL Tundra calipers/pads/rotors, IPF H4 lenses and bulbs, IPF 968 DCG 100W lights, clapped out CB radio, Aussie-spec FJ60 inclinometer, ARB CKMA12 compressor, Superwinch S9000 with 12V Guy clock switch, 4' Hi-Lift, deckplate mod/grey wire mod/dif breather extensions, Duratrac tires, Sockmonkey bedside decals, boat cupholder, Dakine bike pad
    Don't get a double cab 1st gen they are all automatic!!!

I had a 2.7L 4cyl first and now I have a 3.4L V6, both manual. Get the V6. I am getting 20-23 mixed driving versus 17-19 with the 4cyl. The way I see it, more power, better acceleration, and better mpg are all plusses!

To Top