1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Idaho BS thread in the PNW

Discussion in 'North West' started by Jensonbt, Aug 28, 2011.

1. Jan 8, 2023 at 7:05 PM
    JennJenn

JennJenn Remembering Rick ❤

Member:
    First Name:
    Jenn aka (dzzyneon)
    Boise, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2021 Army Green Trd sport dclb!!~Sold~2008 Indigo ink TRD Sport DCLB!!
    I just need to find a job I work less hours so I can do some fun stuff...work way too much!!!

2. Jan 8, 2023 at 9:37 PM
    JennJenn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jenn aka (dzzyneon)
    Boise, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    That's awesome! I've been trying, no luck yet... I get all of that now, but 50+ hours, rotating shifts and after over 20 years..

Last edited: Jan 9, 2023
  3. Jan 12, 2023 at 6:58 AM
    MTBswift

MTBswift Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Hunter
    Coeur d'Alan, ID
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma Offroad
    Just a heads up for anyone in North Idaho/Spokane area. We are having a meet up on Jan 21 10AM in Post Falls at Palmers Powders. Just a get together to meet other Toyota owners and talk shop and hang out.

86331D93-088F-4C6A-9773-CBEA708F53BA.jpg

Charlie Bravo likes this.
  4. Jan 14, 2023 at 2:42 PM
    JennJenn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jenn aka (dzzyneon)
    Boise, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Ok Idaho friends, best windshield replacement choice? The crack on my windshield is spreading worse and worse. It's annoying me now haha

5. Jan 14, 2023 at 3:03 PM
    Tacoma~Gal

Tacoma~Gal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '23 LR OR
    I was happy with summit auto glass when they repaired some chips on my last truck.

Be prepared though, he told me replacement windshields on these trucks is a lot because the front facing camera has to be recalibrated.

JennJenn[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Jan 14, 2023 at 3:17 PM
    JennJenn

Member:
    First Name:
    Jenn aka (dzzyneon)
    Boise, Idaho
    Vehicle:
    I've heard that as well, I do have coverage through my insurance so that should help

Tacoma~Gal[QUOTED] likes this.
  7. Jan 15, 2023 at 9:38 AM
    Tacoma~Gal

Tacoma~Gal Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    '23 LR OR
    Got the front tufskinz flaps installed this morning. First official mod. LOL.

20230115_103510.jpg

2Nice, m3bassman, 4xThad and 2 others like this.
  8. Jan 16, 2023 at 10:59 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    2023 Tundra Limited Crewmax 6.5' 4x4
    Uh-oh. I went over to the dark side. :anonymous:
    9e718a27-2393-458a-9ced-de308978e6e3.jpg

9. Jan 16, 2023 at 2:11 PM
    Jensonbt

Jensonbt [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Beckler
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 gray tacoma DCLB
    Just enough to look kinda cool.
    Well how do you like it?

10. Jan 17, 2023 at 5:34 AM
    m3bassman

m3bassman Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Green truck
    Looks great! You go with the hybrid?

Jensonbt[OP] likes this.
  11. Jan 17, 2023 at 11:19 PM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    Nah this one with options was probably more then I should've spent even though the dealer did sell it for MSRP + sales tax and a minor doc fee. Honestly it's so much power as is when I want to get into it that I don't feel like I need the hybrid. If it was more of a plug in hybird that let me cruise up to 38-40mph on battery alone for like 10 miles I'd totally be down for that since it'd cover groceries and most short around town trips I do.

m3bassman[QUOTED] likes this.
  12. Jan 18, 2023 at 12:29 AM
    TheMuffinMan

TheMuffinMan Banana Nut

Member:
    Coeur d'Alene, ID
    Vehicle:
    I love it.

It's BIG. I thought I wasn't going to like the PVM/360° cameras but it's so incredibly helpful when parking since it's SO long and wider then I'm used to. I really wanted the crew cab 6.5' bed and is worth it to me to deal with the length and it'd doable for where I live. Other then that the engine power is great, fuel econ is better then my 2nd gen Tacoma was and the creature comforts inside are super nice (heated/vented seats). The big 14" display is nice with multiple camera views displayed at the same time but beyond that it's kind of obtrusive and blocks access to the stuff/ledge on the dash just behind it. I really didn't want the panoramic/long sun roof but now that I have it I have to say it's super nice in the grey winters to get a little more light in especially with the darkness of living so far north. It's very easy to drive slow and easy to get on the turbo's and have fun. Handling is better then I expected for such a large truck but my old stock Tacoma was naturally a little more nimble. Maybe when I get used to the bulk I'll be able to corner it better. The camera resolutions are amazing compared to the 2.5 gen Tundra or even the 3rd gen Tacomas I've been in.

I REALLY like how smooth the auto start stop is, and how I'll stop and then it'll give me the message to press the brake further to actually stop the engine so it lets me decide if I want to stop it. My wife's 2020 Subaru is super obtrusive with this and you stop for more then 2 seconds and the engine's off. I also REALLY like the lane keeping assist compared to the wife's Subaru again, on the Tundra it gradually increases resistance on the steering wheel to correct and it's a very subtle hint but I find that I correct it myself before it progresses further. The Subaru is no correction no correction, no correction, then it turns back into the lane abruptly and forcefully causing almost a slow to moderate speed ping pong effect between the two lane edges. I really hate it and turn it off when driving the Subaru. The Tundra's seems much more natural and something that helps or augments the driving experience rather then taking away from it.

The interior has a lot of nice little things that make life good. Such as on the dash ledge behind the 14" screen, a great place for a gopro, gps mount, or dash cam they have a 12v socket. The center console is super nice, it looks nice and feels modern. There are occasionally hard plastics but they are in non-viewable places from sitting in the cab and they are in spots that need more durability. The toggle switches under the display are great for gloves and kind of make me feel like I'm in a space ship, sort of.

Negatives: The key fob feels light weight and cheap plastic'y, disappointing for a $60k truck. My wife's $29k cost-when-new Subaru's key fob is solid and feels quality and premium but it is noticeably heavier. I feel the Subaru key fob weighing my pocket down but I don't feel the Toyota key fob at all due to the lightness. There's an intermittent low-grade whistling noise in the vents when the dual zone climate control isn't sync'd and is on a medium fan speed or higher. It's not all the time and it's not fan noise like a bad blower motor. If it doesn't go away I'll do a warranty claim while it's under bumper to bumper coverage. The rear seats don't stay up when you lift them up. I'd prefer to have a removable under rear-seat tray and seats that fold up with a leg style support so I could have more room in the rear for the dogs or just stuff. The underseat storage area is built into the cab and it's what the seats rest on for support. The underseat storage area is nice and I'll have to try and fit my rifle in there. It's not lockable though. Transmission hump is mildly annoying but it's fine. Due to the size of things if I accidently drop something on the passenger footwell it's hard to lean over and pick it up. My bigger gut may be part of the problem there... :anonymous:. Notifications from the infamous Toyota app are a little oppressive though I can turn those on or off on my phone. Get out of the truck and walk in the house. 5 minutes later the app freaks out if the doors are unlocked and sends me 2 notifications. Same if I put something in the back seat the app "reminds me" to check the back seat after about 5 minutes. It's free for a year and then I'll probably not pay for it. The front grill design I don't like on the Limited's. When remote starting the truck via any method it turns off the truck when you open the door. I feel like they could've added logic that detects the key fob when you walk up and NOT shut the truck off. The wife's Subaru works that way so it doesn't shut off when remote started and you get in. The Subaru won't let it shift out of park unless the key is detected.

I learned that pressing the lock button 3 times and holding on the 3rd press will remote start the truck without the subscription/phone app remote start which goes over 4G. So all the hubbub about needing a monthly subscription for remote start is complete fear mongering. At least this works in the Limited trim that I have.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2023
  13. Jan 18, 2023 at 6:05 AM
    Jensonbt

Member:
    First Name:
    Beckler
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 gray tacoma DCLB
    My mom bought a brand new rav4 a couple months ago and my sister just picked up a 2020 outback so I know exactly what your talking about. My sister hates the lane keep assist on her Subaru and turned it off after about 5 minutes. I like the looks of the tundra and would definitely be on my list if I was in the market for a half ton or even a moderate 3/4.

14. Jan 18, 2023 at 9:58 AM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    Whats a moderate 3/4 ton lol?

Jensonbt[QUOTED][OP] and 4xThad like this.
  15. Jan 18, 2023 at 10:04 AM
    4xThad

4xThad Thad

Member:
    First Name:
    Thad
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tacoma TRD OR DCLB; 2021 Blizzard Pearl 4Runner Limited; 2006 Tundra-SOLD
    Tint, DK ucas, Big Billies with Icon springs, SCS S6 wheels wrapped in Duratracs, an iKamper, a Smartcap, martin OR RR, roam boxes sometimes and a ski rack other times
    lol forreal, a tundra is 1/2 ton. Its got 1/2 ton payload and towing capacity, thus its a 1/2 ton.

a moderate 3/4 would be a titan xd.. max payload is like 2500lb or something like that

16. Jan 18, 2023 at 11:33 AM
    Jensonbt

Member:
    First Name:
    Beckler
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 gray tacoma DCLB
    Where I would need more space then a 1/2 ton but not the full payload and price of a 3/4 ton.

17. Jan 18, 2023 at 6:24 PM
    IDtrucks

IDtrucks Unhinged and Fluid

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark "Buck"
    Jackson Wyoming
    Vehicle:
    96' X-Cab 4x4 TRD Off Road Clusterfuck
    JVC Deck, 10" sub mountd in rear seat cubby, 2 LED off road lights mounted in grille, amber raptor style grille lights, LED rock lights, square led bed light, custom made fuse block tray, 12 blade Blue Sea fuse block, 100a marine circuit breaker, black plasti dipped full grille, tinted tail lights + third, Uniden 520 with 4' firestik, Bilstein 5100s with 620lb Eibach coils, Diff drop, Chevy 63 leaf swap, TG creeper joints, 14" triangulated biletein 5125s, 8" extended steel braided brake line, TG Rock Sliders, CBI Moab 1.0 front bumper, custom fabbed bed rack, full TRD E-Locker axle swap and matching re-gear with custom stand alone wiring circuit, 29 spline pinion flange from an 06 wishbone runner, tubbed for 35x12.5" general grabbers on Ultra type 181 wheels, crush sleeve eliminator, Mini ARB compressor, front ARB locker, garage fab aluminum front skid plate, custom built high clearence rear bumper, removable mothafuckin doors
    That was my thought exactly lol...thats the only truck that touches the payload of the 3/4 ton rating that isnt the same build as the traditional 2500/250 class of trucks
    so youre getting a titan XD lol?

18. Jan 19, 2023 at 5:05 AM
    Jensonbt

Member:
    First Name:
    Beckler
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    2012 gray tacoma DCLB
    Haha no keeping the taco for the foreseeable future.

19. Jan 19, 2023 at 7:33 AM
    4xThad

4xThad Thad

Member:
    First Name:
    Thad
    Bend, OR
    Vehicle:
    2021 Cement Tacoma TRD OR DCLB; 2021 Blizzard Pearl 4Runner Limited; 2006 Tundra-SOLD
    Tint, DK ucas, Big Billies with Icon springs, SCS S6 wheels wrapped in Duratracs, an iKamper, a Smartcap, martin OR RR, roam boxes sometimes and a ski rack other times
    For what its worth, an F150 shares a cab with the F250, F350, F450, and F550.. you can get an f150 in supercrew, 6.5' box trim and its basically the same size as any standard f2/350 just sits a bit lower to the ground. In this, most popular pickup in the world, senario, you dont get any additional space and no less price, but you do get a bit less payload... so why would anyone get an f150...?

Ive always said I would get a gas HD truck over a 1/2 ton. But Ive been known to not follow my own advice lol. New tundras are sick, probably the only 1/2 ton id consider.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2023
    Jensonbt[QUOTED][OP] likes this.
  20. Jan 19, 2023 at 1:35 PM
    SGT_Didymus

SGT_Didymus Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2022 MGM SR5 DC RWD LB
    Has anyone had any issues w/ Peterson Toyota in Boise. I tried to buy a TRD Off Road from them and it felt like they were doing everything in their power to NOT sell me the truck even though I was already prefinanced w/ my bank.

Products Discussed in

To Top