1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Idaho Campfire BS thread in the PNW

Discussion in 'North West' started by m3bassman, Aug 28, 2011.

1. m3bassman

m3bassman [OP] Professional Web Wheeler

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    found a place eh?

what i really need to do is get my photos, music and important documents off this thing and the take it in to get rebuilt with upgraded harddrive and more ram and a better video card as this one is slowly dying. i find it funny that the battery seems to be stronger than the rest. usually batteries are the first to.

2. BradyT88

BradyT88 Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    Skinkwerks armor and a lot of other stuff!
    Yeah. We paid the deposit on it last week and should sign the contract and start moving tomorrow evening. Hopefully we can get everything moved in Saturday and get the old place cleaned up and checked out on Sunday.

Not totally sure about Macs, but with PC's it's cheaper to just buy a new one than to try to upgrade it. The reason being is that you can't just swap in a newer CPU without replacing the motherboard (because they change the cpu layouts) and motherboards are custom built to fit the laptop's case and aren't exactly swappable. There is no point in swapping the harddrive unless it is dying or you want a bigger one. Almost all standard harddrives are 7200rpm which is basically the max speed so they don't exactly get much faster and I'll bet you alread have a 7200 rpm. The next step would be an SSD, but they aren't very cost effective. Unless you want to pay a shit ton of money, you are stuck at like a 128GB or 256GB SDD whereas you could get a 2000GB HDD for about the same price or less. Ram/memory doesn't really make a difference unless you don't have enough already, but I'm guessing that hasn't been an issue for you or you would be getting low memory errors. As for the video card, I'd guess yours isn't swappable either, unless it is a mac thing again. There are some laptops with swappable cards but they are pricey and on the elite side of laptops. Most laptops have a video gpu built right into the motherboard. Mine has an actual video card, but even it isn't swappable, it is custom built to fit the motherboard and laptop case.

Like I said, that all pretty much holds true to non-apple PC's so they may be different, but given Apple's marketing strategy I'd bet that isn't the case...

3. m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    Congrats man.

i havent looked into it. i thought i read you can buy upgraded ram so i figured more parts would be upgradeable. honestly i just need to make this thing last 2 more years at which point ill get an iMac and probably a custom built PC for work.

4. BradyT88

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    Yeah, Ram is pretty easy to upgrade, just not very beneficial... I'd just ride out the laptop and see what happens really.

5. m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    i need to get an external hardrive to unload a lot of the "weight" of this thing. it really has some bad lagging moments as of late.

6. BradyT88

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    That could help some, especially if your drive is getting pretty full.

7. m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    about 80%. another problem is im running on a 5 year old operating system. apparently i thought it would update automatically but it doesnt and im not sure how to go about it now.

8. BradyT88

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    Doesn't Apple charge money for their updates? I know it costs money to upgrade to a newer OS on both Apples and PC's, but Windows gives out their OS updates for free.

9. m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    see, i have no idea. i know to get the most current version it is like 30 bucks. i mean it isnt outrageous but yeah, i didnt know this till my brother say my computer and told me how outdated it is and couldnt understand why i didnt update.

10. BradyT88

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    Most of Window's updates are mostly for security reasons and such, with a few fixes here and there. I have no desire to upgrade to Windows 8 though. I am perfectly happy with Windows 7. There are lots of people still running Windows XP, mostly because Windows Vista wasn't very good, but that number is dwindling now since less and less software is supporting windows XP anymore.

I say all that because I imagine OS upgrades on Apples are similar. The new OS's make a bunch of changes and some you like and some you don't. Basically just because something is outdated doesn't mean it is bad. You drive a 1st gen even though there are 2nd gens out there.

11. m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    im not saying it is bad but technology is moving forward. i have computability issues these days.

Also, i got a wedding for a good friend tomorrow that i am really excited for them. But it is a catholic mass wedding so that in itself has me like "FUUCCCK" it is worse than the DMV. i got a whole talk on how to dress, things to do etc etc. am i out of line to feel like i am showing up there to support my friends in their big moment, but dont feel like having to "act" in a way that is "by the church"? what do you guys think?

12. smkd13

smkd13 Master Blaster

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Provo, UT
    Vehicle:
    01 4Runner SR5
    TT Boss 3" Lift w/ LR UCAs adjustable Panhard
    My battery went like two years ago and I didn't really like the 130 buck for the new one. Hard rice and ram you can do yourself. Easy peasy! Graphics card is not so easy. Btw stuck to hitachi for your Mac HD. They seem to work best as I have five years out of mine.

13. smkd13

smkd13 Master Blaster

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Provo, UT
    Vehicle:
    01 4Runner SR5
    TT Boss 3" Lift w/ LR UCAs adjustable Panhard
    Updates are free and new version cost about 30 bucks

14. m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    Ok cool ill keep that in mind. cant move on anything till after august and i get a job.

15. PcBuilder14

PcBuilder14 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brent
    Missouri
    Vehicle:
    2003 Tacoma TRD/SR5 4x4
    Suspension: Front - Bilstein 5100's/Eibach coils Rear - All Pro Expo Leafs/Rear Icon Remote Reservoir Shocks Wheels & Tires: 33x12.50x15 KM2's/Summit Racing 85 Black 8 Series Wheels/15x8/3.75" Backspacing [U]Armor:[/U] - [URL="http://www.tacomaworld.com/forum/relentless-fabrication/152694-just-released-re
    I've had my Alienware for just over a year now, and it's still good to go. I'm amazed that I've actually almost used 400gb of my hard drive!

The one thing I hate about laptops is how much of a pain it is to upgrade the hardware. This is one of the main reasons I got an Alienware, I can easily swap in a new hard drive, cpu, or memory. You can technically swap in a new video card too, but it requires custom software to make it play nice with the built in video card on the motherboard.

I can't wait to get my own place so I can build myself a desktop again!

16. BradyT88

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    computability or compatibility? An OS update is likely to just make computability issues worse since newer OS's use more resources to run.

17. BradyT88

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    At a premium price though... Alienware is an expensive name to buy... I'm running a nice ASUS for now and it does alright. Cost me $1500 initially and is a bit outdated, but it works well for what I do with it. Which anymore is just surf the internet and watching Dragon Ball. haha Maybe when I get all moved I will buy the new expansion of Star Craft 2. It should handle it just fine.

18. farmerjon

farmerjon Hailing from the land of bucking broncos...

Member:
    First Name:
    farmerjon
    Rugged Rockies
    Vehicle:
    '98 4Runner SR5, 4WD, V6, 3.4L.
    ARB, sleeping platform, Husky liners.
    nerd talk. My domain! You guys have it pretty much covered though.
    I've had my Dell laptop for almost five years now, and it's a refurbished unit... Switching to Lenovo soon. Probably try to make this laptop stretch another semester or two.

Last edited: Jun 27, 2013
  19. farmerjon

farmerjon Hailing from the land of bucking broncos...

Member:
    First Name:
    farmerjon
    Rugged Rockies
    Vehicle:
    '98 4Runner SR5, 4WD, V6, 3.4L.
    ARB, sleeping platform, Husky liners.
    Behave for a few hours for a wedding? Doesn't seem terribly hard. I don't know though, never been to a mass. Not sure how much different it is than church?

20. m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    a lot. things like i have to dress in slacks (dont have any and cannot afford any for just a wedding). also when the preist comes around to bless those that arent catholic we are supposed to act in a way because we cant accept christ from him since we arent catholic blah blah blah. there was more, it was 2 am and i forgot the rest from last night. i can sit still for a couple hours straight. hell thats the key to school. thats the easy bit

To Top