1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Idaho to Alaska Tune Tips

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by hucker, Nov 27, 2009.

1. Nov 27, 2009 at 12:34 PM
    hucker

hucker [OP] Member

Member:
    boise
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner
    Big air repair custom bumper Magnaflow cat back Airraid Spacer Spectre intake Hood Spikes
    Hey, I've got a 2000 Prerunner (3.4L V6) with 180,000 on it. I'm moving to Anchorage Alaska next week and I'm going to tune my truck up before the drive. Since its like 2800 miles every mpg I save saves me like 50 bucks. So far I plan to swap plugs, oil, sea foam it, air filter, clean MAF. I'm also going to put a block heater in it for the cold, possibly an oil pan heater as well. Anything else you guys can think of?

2. Nov 27, 2009 at 12:38 PM
    dylandercole

dylandercole Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dylan
    Santa Cruz Mountains, CA
    Vehicle:
    03 SR5 TRD 4x4 5-speed
    sway-a-way 2.0 coilovers, 1.5'' AAL, 1'' toytec shackle lift, Go-Rhino 3000 Grille Guard, Kicker KS6502 speakers, JVC KD-S24 Head unit, billstein 5125 rear shocks, Deck Plate mod, K&N air filter, Wheelers offroad front and rear braided brake lines, diff breather mod, power slot rotors, ebc yellow stuff pads
    look up the deckplate mod. saves gas if you throw in an aftermarket filter.

3. Nov 27, 2009 at 4:19 PM
    tacoman101

tacoman101 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    scott
    vermont
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma sr5 xtra cab 4wd
    blue led headlights, 285/75/16 grabber AT2's, custom pedals, custom shifter, flowmaster 40 series muffler, bedlinered fender flares, 2.5" lift kit via shackles and spacers, custom exhaust out the back, chrome exhaust tip, and Herculined bed, Weathertech floormats, Cabelas Trail Gear Camo Seat Covers ... Nice thing was I got the truck for $4000
    I'd just change all the fliuds (make sure the oil is a low viscoisty, like 5W30)

4. Nov 27, 2009 at 4:30 PM
    blackhawke88

blackhawke88 wo ai ni bao bei ^_^

Member:
    SGV, CA
    Vehicle:
    07 TRD Offroad
    also dont go above 65 mph, air your tires up well, and accelerate lightly

5. Nov 27, 2009 at 7:22 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    i made a similar drive a few years back - me in my Subaru and my ex in his 99 Tacoma. We went in the late summer from Montana through Alberta and British Columbia but my recommendations to you are:
    bring extra fluids - oil, windshield washer fluid especially. service stations/mechanics are few are far between up there. tire chains would be helpful too. and extra warm clothes just in case you have to stop. traffic is pretty consistent on the road so dont worry, if you need help theres bound to be a good samaritan not too far away. if it gets super cold - below 0 - be kind to your truck and dont drive fast. oh, and a camera. lots of opportunity for photos.

otherwise just be sure you have lots of music to listen to. i barely kept my sanity on the trip! five days and 2727 miles...my ass was flat by the time we reached our destination!

hmmm...boise to AK...guessing youre an air force guy? cant imagine anyone going willingly to AK...

6. Nov 27, 2009 at 11:01 PM
    hucker

hucker [OP] Member

Member:
    boise
    Vehicle:
    2000 PreRunner
    Big air repair custom bumper Magnaflow cat back Airraid Spacer Spectre intake Hood Spikes
    Haha, actually I've driven from boise to Alaska or vice versa 5 times in the last few years, just spring and fall though, and I'm a college student whose scholarship ran out so in states my next option.. but yeah, books on tape are key, thanks for the advice on the extra fluids

7. Nov 27, 2009 at 11:09 PM
    81shark

81shark Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2006 Base Access CP1
    i was going to suggest some Pearl Jam bootlegs.....

just make sure everything is in good repair and away you go.

8. Nov 28, 2009 at 4:06 PM
    MTgirl

MTgirl too many frogs, not enough princes... Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Weesa
    Bob's secret mod lair
    Vehicle:
    Then: 12 T4R SR5 Now: 99 - 3.4L SR5 4WD
    Wheeler's/Alcan 5-pack leaf springs, OME 881's, de-badged, Jungle Fender Flares, Herculined bed, HomerTaco grille, Anzo headlights, clear corners,
    ^lol good choice though

back on topic, i assumed you were making the trip for the first time but since you are a well traveled alcan driver im sure youre also aware of the fun things about driving up there...like the plywood cutouts of police cruisers propped up next to the road five miles outside of town, and launching off of the frost heaves at 80mph, and ...uh, yeah...thats about it.

9. Nov 28, 2009 at 4:41 PM
    BLKTRD6SP

BLKTRD6SP Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Crane Lake Alberta
    Vehicle:
    09 Black TRD 6 Speed
    2 way remote start,3M rockguard
    Check your antifreeze make sure it is the proper ratio to deal with the cold.

Products Discussed in

To Top