1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ideas for mounting my Cobra 29 CB and antenna

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mlittle, Jul 13, 2010.

1. Jul 13, 2010 at 9:34 AM
    mlittle

mlittle [OP] T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    I have a Cobra 29 that I would like to install, but I was wondering where others have installed the larger format CBs. Unfortunately, the CB is a little to wide to install in the pocket under my radio. The only other location that I can see where the CB could be installed is on the right side of the shift lever. I would like to install it where I can still reach the knobs and see the display.

Has anyone used the door jab kit for mounting the antenna?

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/c...amb-kit-firestik-cb-antenna-mounting-341.html

I was going to mount my antenna on the rear bumper until I saw the kit. I will have to get a visual to determine if the kit would work.

What's the minimal height that the antenna should stick up above the roof line for best transmission and reception? I will be ordering a new antenna, but I want to make sure that I don't get one that's too short.

2. Jul 13, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    Manlaan

Manlaan Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Greg
    Riverton, Utah
    Vehicle:
    2002 XtraCab SR5 V6 4x4 Black
    See Signature
    As far as antenna height, it really comes down to what you intend to use it for. If its just for communication with your group while on a trail, you can get away with something pretty short, but if you're wanting to communicate with much further distances, you'll have to go larger.

I've heard of people being completely happy with just the magnet ones you stick to the roof only when you want to use it, but of course they aren't leaving it there all the time either.

For the radio, what I'd really like to find is one with a remote head unit (not with the mic/speaker/controls combined, like the Cobra 75). Ham sure has a lot of options, but it just seems rather limited for CB.

3. Jul 21, 2010 at 6:12 AM
    mlittle

mlittle [OP] T O Y O T A

Member:
    First Name:
    Michael
    Fort Sill, OK
    Vehicle:
    2014 Toyota Tundra Crew Max 4x4
    I like the idea of installing the CB in the cc, but my console is a 2-part console. Unfortunately, it won't work for me. I think I will mount the cb next to the shift lever, but I would have to use a block to build the mounting point out a little bit.

4. Aug 25, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    RedToy88

RedToy88 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Carbondale, PA
    Vehicle:
    02 sr5
    2.5" coil spacers, 2" add-a-leafs, ProComp wheels
    i was thinking of mounting the CB under the ash tray where the aux cig lighters are if u remove the plastic cover there it should fit nice and u can still see the display

Products Discussed in

To Top