1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ideas for new contruction

Discussion in 'Garage / Workshop' started by Joe D, Dec 11, 2013.

1. Dec 22, 2013 at 4:15 PM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    Most septic tanks , at least in my area , have a single intake for all the wastewater from the house , the septic tank itself is divided into 2 chambers , a primary and a secondary , the solids stay in the primary chamber , only liquid effluent should pass into the secondary chamber , from the tank the effluent then runs either directly to the disposal field in a gravity system , or into a pump chamber in a pressurized system .

Depending on the design / requirements / codes of the disposal field the effluent may also pass through a treatment tank before being released to the disposal field

If you do a system where you seperate greywater from blackwater ( poo ) , the disposal fields would be seperate for each system otherwise what's the point of seperating the greywater ?

Last edited: Dec 22, 2013
  2. Dec 22, 2013 at 4:28 PM
    Frkypunk

Frkypunk "Death is what you make of it."

Member:
    First Name:
    Timmy
    Woods of P.A.
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tundra limited,2015 Highlander limited, Prius(commuter)
    Got the gas mileage down to 13mpg! Modification complete
    Unfortunate for me I just had to replace the pump in my dads grey water...I got to see the inner workings first hand. It's actually pretty cool once you get past the smell.:rolleyes:

3. Dec 22, 2013 at 6:09 PM
    03DBLCABTACO

03DBLCABTACO Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Tomball TX
    Vehicle:
    Cavalry Blue 2019 TRD OFF-ROAD 4X4
    I have a urinal in the garage and handicap toilet in the master for the easier height.

4. Dec 23, 2013 at 11:47 AM
    SH7mi

SH7mi YotaWerx Pro Tune PA MD DE NJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West Grove, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB OR Black YotaWerx Tune
    AE manifold spacer Bed lights Seat Jackers Blackvue Dashcam YotaWerx Tuned Fumoto Oil Pan Valve
    At the time I built our home the tanks were one chamber, I installed the second tank to separate the solids and liquids, only liquids flow to drainage field as you know. The tanks may have two chambers now, I don't know.
    I tried to plan for contingencies like family staying for a while which is why I installed oversized septic. I have friends and family that need to rent port-o-pots when having big parties or extended company, they have older houses but why not do it when building the house from start.
    They have limited receptacles, hose bibs, low ceilings in basement and narrow halls and doors.

As for the rafters and no trusses OZ, I was not about to rent a crane, I can eventually finish two more rooms, and there is more area in the attic even if I don't finish it. Plus I won't do 2' centers on anything, 16" o.c. Maximum!

5. Dec 23, 2013 at 11:58 AM
    2000GTacoma

2000GTacoma Well-Known Member

Member:
    Snow Hill NC
    Vehicle:
    00 Tacoma Ext. 3.4L SR5

Crane is not needed for trusses. Put a many of them up without a crane.

6. Dec 23, 2013 at 11:59 AM
    OZ-T

OZ-T You are going backwards

Member:
    First Name:
    Peter North
    British Columbia
    Vehicle:
    Mag Grey 09 Trd Sport DCLB 4x4
    OME 885x , OME shocks and Dakars , Wheelers SuperBumps front and rear , 275/70/17 Hankook ATm , OEM bed mat , Weathertech digifit floor liners , Weathertech in-channel vents , headache rack , Leer 100RCC commercial canopy , TRD bedside decals removed , Devil Horns by Andres , HomerTaco Satoshi
    oh well that's not really an attic as much as future living space which you can do with attic trusses , having said that I hand framed the roof on my house so that we could have living space inside it , and like you I prefer 16" OC but I have no issue with trusses 2' OC , it's really just a function of spans / loading

16" OC creates more area for thermal bridging in exterior walls , this is where 1" styrofoam on the exterior of the framing really helps

7. Dec 23, 2013 at 12:09 PM
    SH7mi

SH7mi YotaWerx Pro Tune PA MD DE NJ

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    West Grove, Pa.
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma DCLB OR Black YotaWerx Tune
    AE manifold spacer Bed lights Seat Jackers Blackvue Dashcam YotaWerx Tuned Fumoto Oil Pan Valve
    Copy that OZ, I had a lot of unpaid help on my house, I.e. unexperienced help, plus I do enjoy making rafters, stairs and the like.

Products Discussed in

To Top