1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ideas for sealing aftermarket locking gas cap to avoid engine light

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by BitcoinSucks, Dec 9, 2021.

1. Dec 10, 2021 at 6:13 AM
    DAS Taco

DAS Taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    DAS
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Offroad
    Same here...make sure it's tight and the little spring loaded cover where you insert the key is closed, covering the key hole after you lock. I'm thinking vacuum might have something to do with it...

2. Dec 10, 2021 at 7:28 AM
    Grossomotto

Grossomotto Complete 3rd Member

Member:
    39.9526° N, 75.1652° W
    Vehicle:
    2017 4WDV6LB6MT
    Well, it keeps the local hoodlums from pouring maple syrup in your tank.

3. Dec 10, 2021 at 11:20 AM
    zoo truck

zoo truck Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2020 quicksand sr5 tacoma
    None
    Well it certainly wouldn't be maple syrup, they'd never afford it here. I'd be more worried about them pissing in your fuel tank. My neighbor got a load of sand one year. I guess they didn't like subaru's.

Grossomotto[QUOTED] likes this.
  4. Dec 10, 2021 at 12:36 PM
    tonykarter

tonykarter Crappie Savant

Member:
    Snuff Gully, Texas
    Vehicle:
    2018 DCSB 4x4 Sport 1993 4Runner SR5 4x4, 411,000 miles
    Pine tree air freshener
    Karo syrup.

5. Dec 12, 2021 at 11:01 PM
    BitcoinSucks

BitcoinSucks [OP] Bitcoin Doesn't Actually Suck.

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Offroad
    Yeah that's true, but at least I'd be able to tell at a glance. And I mean I have full coverage with a low deductible, I'm not too worried about it but better safe than sorry; might be a pain to diagnose something in the tank that killed the engine on some level. Frankly they could easily pop off the cap with a screwdriver too, but then I'd also be able to tell.

Regardless, I picked up an actual Stant 10504 at O'Reilly's on Saturday and it seems to be much better made than the offbrand I had (that was also labeled part no 10504, but clearly sourced elsewhere by Carquest now). So far, no lights so we'll see how it works in the long run. Just kicked out two guys this weekend though so it reinforces my intent on protecting the truck. I'd much rather have someone square up to me and hit me in the face vs lurk around and mess with my property, but that's too much to ask for some people. Good news is we have cameras all across the property; bad news is my truck is super distinct with my Bitcoin license plate and other things, so hopefully people just practice the principles of recovery, own their side of the situation, and let go of resentment. But that, too, is a tall order for some.

6. Jan 9, 2022 at 3:41 PM
    Taco_mike73

Taco_mike73 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Lomax tonneau cover, oem bed lights, AJT Design chrome delete, black out badges & tailgate letters, AVS hood deflector & vent visors, Solkie tech hood supports, interior LED lights, Tufskinz mud guards, RedArc TowPro Liberty, bed mat, kicker speaker upgrade, Hikari ultra H11 low beams, Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in yellow, Meso customs total taillight stage 1. Coming soon: Compact powered sub install Future mods planned: bigger tires (265/75/16) BILLSTIEN 5100 lift
    That looks exactly like the one I bought off eBay that was supposed to be authentic Stant product and came in a Stant box. I tried 3 clicks, 5 and 10 clicks, it always sets the cap warning and I'm past the return window.
    Looks like from other posts and threads the real product has white printing on the cap and may have an "S" embossed on the grip part. Also mine came with 2 keys with plastic heads the real Stant product seems like it's a rounded all metal key.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  7. Jan 9, 2022 at 3:54 PM
    BitcoinSucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Offroad
    Yeah definitely check out an O'Reilly's near you, they have the authentic ones and since it's been on for a month, no engine lights. Seems better constructed in general.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  8. Jan 9, 2022 at 4:14 PM
    Taco_mike73

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    Lomax tonneau cover, oem bed lights, AJT Design chrome delete, black out badges & tailgate letters, AVS hood deflector & vent visors, Solkie tech hood supports, interior LED lights, Tufskinz mud guards, RedArc TowPro Liberty, bed mat, kicker speaker upgrade, Hikari ultra H11 low beams, Diode Dynamics SS3 fogs in yellow, Meso customs total taillight stage 1. Coming soon: Compact powered sub install Future mods planned: bigger tires (265/75/16) BILLSTIEN 5100 lift
    Unfortunately no O'Reilly's here. Local auto parts stores I have are: Advanced Auto, AutoZone, PepBoys and NAPA.

I really would like to get one. I suppose I'll have to go to the store and carefully examine the cap before I pay it to hopefully get the real one.

9. Jan 9, 2022 at 4:20 PM
    BitcoinSucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Offroad
    It looks like Advanced might carry it, just glancing around online. Yeah for me, it's definitely worth the peace of mind it offers, however minimal it is. Wish the entire fuel door locked and you had to "pop" it from inside, like on many vehicles, but these caps are a decent enough alternative

https://shop.advanceautoparts.com/p/carquest-premium-plastic-locking-gas-cap-10504/18481453-P

Although do note, my first cap was also car quest, so they may have switched manf to the off brand variety instead of Stant, just have to open the box and see

10. Jan 9, 2022 at 4:35 PM
    Taco_mike73

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    The photo looks correct at least online. Worth a shot if I can inspect before I buy it and return it if it puts up the codes again.

Yeah I want one because you never know what people might do.
    I had a tenant that was upset with me because I was taking her to court to get her evicted years ago for non payment of rent. She had made a threat to sugar our fuel tanks in retaliation for that which was actually fault of her actions. You just never know with people.

11. Sep 14, 2022 at 10:03 AM
    hotrod53

hotrod53 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Lynd
    Pittsburgh, PA
    Vehicle:
    ‘14 DCLB Sport, ‘18 TCH, ‘13 TCH
    Weathertech floor liners moded to hold OEM floor mats, weathertech vent visors, Toyota bed mat, LEER 100XL cap, hood gasket mod to stop whistling.
    I've tried the Duralast locking cap, fail, I tried the Stant 10504 from O'Rilley's, fail as well. I'm tired of resetting codes at this point, I just returned the Stant to O'Rilley's and put my OEM cap back on.

Before returning the cap, I tried taking the seal off of my non locking OEM cap and putting it on the Stant, it doesn't fit. The design of the seal in the OEM differs from the Stant and its slightly different in diameter, When installing the OEM gasket on the Stant cap, it fits loosely, the diameter is different. The OEM cap has an extra ring to hold the gasket in place also. The Stant cap that I had did not have the round keys. I've also cleaned my filler neck with a scotchbrite pad that seemed to help for a short while but ultimately the results were the same.

12. Sep 14, 2022 at 10:06 AM
    MaverickT883

MaverickT883 Paintless

Member:
    First Name:
    Maverick
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2021 Tacoma TRD Off-road Access Cab
    Check build thread!
    This is true. I had my truck keyed 3 times, and 2 tires slashed in my last year of high school. I wasn't even a bad dude. Just some teens are shitheads.

13. Sep 15, 2022 at 9:56 PM
    BitcoinSucks

Member:
    First Name:
    Stefan
    Santa Cruz
    Vehicle:
    2020 MGM Offroad
    Since putting the latest version of the (actual, name brand) Stant on, with the squarish keys, I haven't had any CEL or code issues. I think, for my truck at least, this was the solution. Maybe adding some additional o rings onto the aftermarket cap would help it seal?

14. Sep 16, 2022 at 3:28 AM
    Taco_mike73

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    York, PA
    Vehicle:
    2020 Cement SR5 DCSB 4x4
    My problem with the locking cap was solved a few months ago. I ordered the stant cap from O' Reilly's online and had to buy a few other things to get free shipping as the nearest store to me Is in Virginia and I'm in Pennsylvania.

My cap came with metal square keys like the one I had for my old Jeep Liberty CRD. I has yet to give me a CEL if I put it on with 3 clicks.

BitcoinSucks[OP] and 3JOH22A like this.

Products Discussed in

To Top