1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Identify the noise please

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by slimcubby, Dec 18, 2008.

1. Dec 18, 2008 at 10:08 PM
    slimcubby

slimcubby [OP] www.slimshidxenonsource.c om Vendor

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Hey guys... I am curious as to what this is. I have noticed that when I go over potholes, bumps, or rough road my front and rear sounds like somthing hollow is clunking. It happens individually when I go over bumps front tires over the bump then hollow clunk noise and same for the rear.

Recently I added sliders but I think and this is a big think that the noise was there before the install. Anybody notice any different noise after they upgraded their shocks springs and coils? :confused:

I would appreciate any input on this or even if any local member should care to help me figure it out. Maybe stand by the truck when I drive over some bumpy terrain. :)

2. Dec 18, 2008 at 10:22 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Magnetic Grey Access Cab - 2.7L I4 - 4x2
    I got my truck three weeks ago, and have noticed the same noise. I think it's the rear seat belt buckles thumping on the door panel, but I'm not 100% sure. I should probably hit the buckle on the panel by hand to see if it makes the same noise.

EDIT:

I just checked the rear buckles, and they're loose enough that it is likely they do hit the panels sometimes while moving, but it was kinda hard to tell if it was the same noise I've been hearing. It sounded less "hollow" than when I hear it while driving, but radio/road/wind/engine noise, plus being ahead of it in the drivers seat likely change the sound to a degree.... The noise I hear always sounds like it's inside the cab though.

3. Dec 18, 2008 at 10:34 PM
    slimcubby

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Oh boy that would be such a relief! But I notice the noise more with the windows down :(. I will try and buckle the seat belts and try a couple bumps paying attention the them.

4. Dec 18, 2008 at 10:54 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vancouver, BC
    Vehicle:
    2009 Magnetic Grey Access Cab - 2.7L I4 - 4x2
    Case Closed :) :thumbsup:

5. Dec 18, 2008 at 11:21 PM
    slimcubby

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    Ok I will test out the buckles tomorrow. I pray its that since I started to worry that it might be my sliders hitting the cab somehow lol. But those suckers are welded rock solid!

6. Dec 19, 2008 at 8:02 AM
    Motorshooter

Motorshooter Motorshooter

Member:
    VA-Northern VA
    Vehicle:
    16 double cab, short bed, 4X4 SR5, Towing pkg. Inferno Orange -What a great color!
    Weather Tech stone guards, Undercover SE bed cover, fresh coat of wax. I really miss my Indigo Ink Pearl 07' DC -RIP-she saved my life. Thank you blue beast!
    Loose bowels:eek:

7. Dec 19, 2008 at 8:24 AM
    Dark Knight

Dark Knight Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    NC/SC
    Vehicle:
    4Runner Trail
    yup, hit the nail on the head with that one, my rear seatbelts do the same thing, bad with the windows down. You can also just put the belts behind the clips thats how i keep mine quiet.

8. Dec 19, 2008 at 2:20 PM
    chris4x4

chris4x4 With sufficient thrust, pigs fly just fine. Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    FlimFlubberJAM
    Tenoe, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2013 Rubicon Unlimited,
    4.10 gears, sliders, and lots of buttons.
    I have a similar noise comming from the passenger side. Sounds like its in the dash. I have checked the rear seat belts, and have been in the dash, and all over the engine tranny, EVERYthing. Seems to happen with the front tire hitting a bump, and the rear tire. Has a hollow clonking sound to it. I havent checked into the passenger door, yet. :confused:

9. Dec 19, 2008 at 2:49 PM
    brianr

brianr go shit in your hat

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4
    BUILT, not bought...
    the plastic "splash shield" in forward part of my wheel wells makes a clunking noise like the one described when I go over speed bumps.

10. Dec 23, 2008 at 4:25 PM
    slimcubby

Member:
    SoCal
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner
    So I am beginning to think it is my Sliders that are making the noise... There are some spots where the bars touch the cab where the cabs metal is flat and bent down facing the ground. I am going to bend those spots that are touching and see if that fixes it. I would think that the body of the truck has some roll and play to it over hard bumps resulting in a clunk noise onto the sliders. (this is my assumption lol let me know if I am totally wrong.)

To Top