1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Idiot Knucklehead on the loose.

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Nick54, Jul 3, 2011.

1. Jul 4, 2011 at 12:24 AM
    Kilo22

Kilo22 Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    Midsouth
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD OR 4x4
    I hate dickheads like that. Do the police report for sure. I wouldn't bet on the security carmeras. If they let you see them, its highly unlikely you'll be able to read the license plate. When you file to police report, ask the officer if he will go to HD and check the camera.

2. Jul 4, 2011 at 10:21 AM
    fvtalon

fvtalon Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Southern BC
    Vehicle:
    07 DC TRD/Yamaha
    285/65/18 BFG ATs on MKWs Leer Cap
    I think it's highly unlikely that the camera would be good enough to read a license plate. You only need to watch those shows where they show all that footage. Some dude robs a gas station, at the till he's maybe what? 10' from the camera and you can't get a decent picture of his face. No way you can get a license plate from probably 50' in a parking lot. That CSI zoom in and clarify trick is BS too.

It's a cost benefit thing, the good cameras are just too much money and high def feed takes up a lot of storage space and they put the cameras in for loss prevention, not hit and run prosecution.

However, that said, if they have parking lot coverage and you can get the police or HD to look at the tapes and if the camera angles are any good they should be able to see a vehicle hit yours and be able to tell it happened and then at least tell what it is. I don't expect they'll put out an APB on a grey silverado with some blue paint scuffs on the back corner or something though. A good police report should at least remove any hassles in an insurance claim, you'll still likely be out the premium unless you can 100% figure the other guy's identity/plate #.

It is a lousy situation though... I feel for you. Of course the other thing is as much you might want to if you found out who it was and did anything about it you'll end up in more trouble with the law than he/she ever was in the first place.

3. Jul 4, 2011 at 10:46 AM
    shane100700

shane100700 Bed, Bath & Beyond Crawler

Member:
    Montana
    Vehicle:
    2019 DCSB, OR
    Rocket Boosters
    Sub'd in the hopes to see justice done. Good luck!

4. Jul 4, 2011 at 11:54 AM
    Nick54

Nick54 [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Thanks to all who either have shared in this bummer or who sympathies with us. I went to HD and talked to the manager, he submitted a report to their loss prevention dept. I went directly to the police station after HD and filed a report. This has been a real downer, nobody seems to think this rat bastard will get caught, but I'm an optimist and am holding out hope.

Luke -just like you said man, they will look at the video and if they see anything they will call me and I can give them the officers fax & phone number's.

Mike (Yodamikez), I appreciate you looking out for me man, but I was on a mission with the wife and it was after potted flowers. I'm ok with that because she is always dragging behind me in the tool section, lumber area or electrical & plumbing. I certainly get the best of the trips to HD.

Garrin, bro no disrespect but what the heck are you reading man. I didn't take $500.00 dollars to HD and get stuck up. I'm just saying that this idiot hitting me and booking is LIKE sticking a gun to my head and robbing me of the insurance deductible ($500.00). NP man I know it's a PIA reading every post to catch all the details.

Mike (fvtalon) WTF do ya mean "That CSI zoom in and clarify trick is BS too". Crap I thought for sure I could get the FBI in on this to catch this nefarious fugitive from the law. What the hell good are these shows if we can't use what they are doing to our benefit? JK man, but all the other stuff your saying rings true - (cost to benefit).

I suppose now that the initial shock has worn off, I just need to focus on getting it fixed. But me being the anal shit that I am, even when it's fixed I'll still know it's not original and that will bug the crap out of me. I know my cross to bare.

I will post back with new developments so stay tuned for the next episode of Bash and Dash.

5. Jul 7, 2011 at 4:23 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    ARB Rear Locker & Compressor, Bakflip F1, Antennex 13" flexable antenna, WeatherTech Floor Liners, WeatherTech Side Window Visors, Tacoma Bed Mat, Demello Rock Crushers, Dynamax Ultraflow SS Muffler, TSB 4-Pak Leaf Springs, AFE Pro Dry Filter, Redline Hood Struts, Color Matched Angry Eyelids, Combo Lock Bed Compartments, Bed Mat, Pop-N-Lock, Wet Okoles, Goodyear Duratracs on ProComp 7033's, M101A2 Trailer, Grillcraft Mesh Grill, Light Racing UCA's, King OEM Performance Remote Reservoir Adjustable Front & Rear Shocks, JVC NT3HDT, Blue Sea Aux Fuse Panel, BAMF Behind Grill Light Bracket, Kragen 55W 7" HID's, CBI Front Receiver, Home Link Garage Door Opener, FlyEyez Light Unit, Bud Built Front to Back Skids...
    Insurance estimator coming tomorrow, this ought to be a real shocker. I'll post the damage estimate then.

6. Jul 7, 2011 at 4:28 PM
    TiMe

TiMe Well-Known Member

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    05 Dbl Cab 4x4
    6" Fabtech with coilovers 33" nitto mud grapplers
    That sucks man, good luck.

This kinda stuff is the reason that I have a zero deductible on my comp claims.

7. Jul 7, 2011 at 4:40 PM
    booboy

booboy Well-Known Member

Member:
    PaCiFiC nOrThWeSt
    Vehicle:
    2010 TrD SpOrT 4x4
    I hate people who don't take responsibility for their actions! I do believe what comes around goes around... ten fold! I'm really sorry brotha!

8. Jul 7, 2011 at 4:47 PM
    Sandman614

Sandman614 Ex-Snarky TWSS elf, Travis #hotsavannahdotcom

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Garner, NC/Boone, NC
    Vehicle:
    '06 SR5 Off Road
    ARB Front Bumper, Projector Headlights w/Slimcubby 4300K HID's, Oznium LED's, LED taillights, DIY Washable Cabin Moose Filter, Sockmonkey SR5 Off Road, Aux Audio plug, OME 886x, OME Nitrochargers, Wheelers 3 Leaf Progressive AAL, ImMrYo Rear-View Mirror Lift Bracket, Dodge D-Rings
    Time for a steal plate or roll bar bumper. So that the next dick that decides to hit you is in for the treat!!;)

9. Jul 8, 2011 at 8:13 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    The insurance adjuster came by today, looked over the truck, took a bunch of notes and pics and informed me that if I took the truck to one of their authorized repair shops that they (the ins. co.) would guarantee the work. Arrangements were made for me to drop the truck on Monday. the shop is arranging a loaner covered by ins. What I thought strange was he didn't offer me a written estimate. Is something up here. Has anyone had a similar experience?

10. Jul 9, 2011 at 12:42 AM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    ^ I just posted in a similar thread, but in that case, the OP got hit in a parking light, only on the taillight, and the car actually left a note. In your case, this p.o.s hit your bumper, fender, flare, headlight and hood it looks like. I'm guessing 3500 bucks. As far as the adjuster, IIRC, they rarely give out estimates on the spot since they need to consult the body shop and get prices on all the parts.. I would make sure they replace everything rather than repair.
    I really hope someone catches this dirtbag, if HD does see the tape maybe you can recognize the car, and I'm sure someone had to have seen him hit you, although it will be hard to find any witnesses.

11. Jul 10, 2011 at 11:13 PM
    drewskie

drewskie Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    Burbank, CA.
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner 4 banger
    So what was the damage?

12. Jul 12, 2011 at 12:19 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    The body shop now has the truck and still no estimate. I did get them to do an alignment, if you have been following my lift / alignment thread, this turns out to be fortunate since these guys are familiar with aligning lifted trucks. I'm not sure it matters what the repair costs will be as I'm sure it will exceeded my deductable. All I care about is the truck is fixed right, paint matches, panels line up, and no bondo. Let me know if my approach is screwed up here.

13. Jul 12, 2011 at 12:35 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    they will most likely replace the plastic parts because the material is textured and can't be touched up

14. Jul 12, 2011 at 1:01 PM
    wiscdave

wiscdave Lets Do It!

Member:
    Northern Wisconsin
    Vehicle:
    Tundra Rock Warrior
    Past ride - 3" OME 885s&Shocks/ TSB 1.5AAL/ AX184 Rims 285 Firestone destination ATs/ 2 Shallow mount P310s in Supercrew Box - Punch 601s, Beefed up Hunter Brush guard, Tint, Fog light mod, AFE Drop in, AC and Fog light mods, scangauge
    I take it this is your first claim...Body shops give estimates..hit and run asshat 4sure. Full brush guard would have protected ya IMHO.

15. Jul 12, 2011 at 2:12 PM
    dexterdog

dexterdog My pee parts itch

Member:
    Oly WA
    Vehicle:
    2012 F150
    You're 31 and have a son-in-law?

16. Jul 12, 2011 at 2:17 PM
    Chickenmunga

Chickenmunga Nuggety

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Keizer, Oregon
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Offroad DC 4x4 with stuff
    All the normal TW BS
    I'm sure he meant to say grandson

17. Jul 12, 2011 at 2:19 PM
    drtydru

drtydru Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Dru
    Oakland
    Vehicle:
    08 4x4
    Bucket seats, Variable speed wiper switch, 09 led Tail Lights, Satoshied front grill, DDM HIDs, Fog light install, Mud flaps removed, 1.5'AAL, Billie 1552, Toyotec front coilovers w/Billies, B.A.M.F welded sliders w/kickout,
    :rofl:

18. Jul 18, 2011 at 7:22 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Pick up my Taco today from the body shop, they did a great job, paint is near to perfect as you can tell. The seems are spaced well and they even detailed the truck. They did point out that my headlight lens' are cracking, he said due to the heat of my Sylvania bulbs ??? $1700.00 in damages of which I get to eat $500.00. I will get some pics this week and post them.

19. Jul 18, 2011 at 7:29 PM
    HomerTaco

HomerTaco also HomerTaco Vendor

Member:
    First Name:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco
    Vehicle:
    HomerTaco
    HomerTaco ...................................................................................................................................................... Core-Hurst short throw shifter & T-handle / Carbon Fiber Interior / custom console light / De-badged / leather interior / Heated Front seats / Red Line Hood Struts / Painted speaker grills /one-off TRD Satoshi Grill with 12-15 front-end swap/ Pioneer AVIC-X920BT HU / Scangauge II / Black LED Tails / Dash Mount for iPad mini / Safari Snorkel / Auto-pilot mode / Leer 100XQ Cap / 4x Innovations sliders / Rear Diff Breather Mod / front windows tinted to 35% / Brute Force Fab Hybrid Front Bumper / BAMF Rear Diff Skid / Budbuilt Skids / CBI Trail Master 2.0 rear hybrid bumper / Fox rr coils/ TC UCA's/ TC spindle gussets/ TC Cam Tab gussets / Dakar leafs / Defined Engineering shackles / All pro U bolt flip / Timbren Rear Bumpstops / BAMF LCA skids / Exhaust re-route / Fog Light anytime Mod / LowRange Off Road extended rear brake lines / ATO Shackle Flip / sectioned Bushwhacker flares / re-geared to 4.56 / ARB Front & Rear Locking Diff / ARB CKMA12 compressor / PrInSu full rack system / 1" body lift / Inchworm 4.7 crawlbox / twin stick FJ t-case / Davez off-road triple-stick kit/
    Bummer about the hit & run. :(
    Just an FYI:
    At HD the cameras are not aimed at the parking lot, they are aimed at the doors. Unless you are parked right in front of the door it is doubtful that your vehicle will be on camera....
    I know... been with depot for 12 yrs...:rolleyes:

20. Jul 19, 2011 at 1:56 PM
    Nick54

Member:
    First Name:
    Nick
    Mentor Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2010 Tacoma TRD Sport
    Well that's interesting, you think they would have just said so rather than lead my on for a week untill they called to say they didn't see anything.

Products Discussed in

To Top