1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

IE help: Need to remove the adjuster nut on SAW

Discussion in 'Southern California' started by Johnnie, Jul 10, 2010.

1. Jul 10, 2010 at 8:08 PM
    Johnnie

Johnnie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    In regards to this thread, does anyone know where I can find a reasonable shock/suspension shop in the IE/Fontana area?
    http://www.ttora.com/forum/showthread.php?t=158566

I need to compress the coil so I can remove it from the bottom. At that point I'll be able to cut off the adjuster nut so I can replace it. I've called a few shops and they want $35-$50 just to remove the one spring. I went to Auto Zone to rent the spring compressor but it wouldn't fit between the spring. With the right tool it's probably a 5 minute job just to remove the spring.

Thanks.

2. Jul 10, 2010 at 8:25 PM
    megillet

megillet Resident Badass

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    Atlanta, GA
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 TRD Sport DCSB MGM 6sp
    I say if you are going to replace the adjuster nut anyways, might as well cut it off (carefully, with it fully unloaded). Just grind it with an exhaust cutoff wheel, don't even have to go all the way through, just most of the way, then take a chisel, and break the last part (so you don't grind into the shock). Maybe use a ratchet strap or three to compress the spring away enough so you don't grind that too.

Don't waste your time trying to drill out the broken allen; its made of steel, and that adjuster ring looks like Al; the drill will wander to the softer Al, and it won't work.

3. Jul 10, 2010 at 8:55 PM
    Johnnie

Johnnie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    I.E. SoCal
    Vehicle:
    Feds
    I'm at the point where I have to cut it off. I can grind it but I'm worried about the spring flying off. I'm not sure that ratchet straps will work. I'll have to test it out.

4. Jul 10, 2010 at 9:04 PM
    The_Dude

The_Dude Well-Known Member

Member:
    Kragen might let you "borrow" the tool. You just buy the tool, use it and bring it back within three days for a full refund. It's just their way of loaning tools.

To Top