1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

If I buy a Bed Cap....

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by TacomaNJ, Oct 28, 2010.

1. Oct 28, 2010 at 10:32 AM
    TacomaNJ

TacomaNJ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    2001 TRD SR5 Tacoma Ext.Cab
    If I pull the trigger on this cap I am looking it, I was wondering what it would cost to through a roofrack on there...It doesnt not have the mounts or rails on the top already, I wanted to know if its realistic to do this yourself. OR should I just save the time and look for a cap that has the rails for mounting a roofrack system on it?

2. Oct 28, 2010 at 12:32 PM
    derekp

derekp giddy up!

Member:
    First Name:
    Derek
    Grand Forks, ND
    Vehicle:
    2001 X-Cab 4x4 TRD V6 5Spd
    Deck plate, Flowmaster Delta-Flow 40 series, 265/75-16 Wrangler TDs, more to come...
    As for cost, it would depend on the brand and which accessories you bought. The installation looks fairly straight-forward. Lay down your tracks where you want them, make sure they are straight (VERY IMPORTANT) and drill. The kit should come w/gaskets to put under the tracks and silicon (or a substitute) to put over/under/around the installation hardware to prevent leaks.

My shell came with the tracks but no accessories (brackets/crossbar/etc). It is an older set and I have no idea what brand to buy.

3. Oct 29, 2010 at 7:51 PM
    tsab916

tsab916 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sacramento
    Vehicle:
    02 DC 4x4
    i just bought a cap today, but have been speaking to cap dealers for a few weeks now, and they say for just the rails (just the 2 strip) its about $40, the rack kit is about $400+ popular ones are thule and yakima's

4. Oct 29, 2010 at 7:55 PM
    degraaf

degraaf Old School

Member:
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    '01 DC Limited TRD Tacoma
    Method Racing 16" rims, Old Man Emu 883 springs w/Nitrocharger front struts, All-Pro expo leaf springs w/bilstein shocks on rear, deck plate mod, gray wire mod, ARE cap.
    go to a junk yard and remove one off a suv.

I told my brother I was headed over to the junk yard to get one and he said he had one from his Yukon that he took off that I could have. I got it home and cut the sections to fit, went to Lowes for stainless hardware and all said and done it cost about $40 for the stainless hardware.

Salvage yard would have been cheap too.

5. Oct 29, 2010 at 7:57 PM
    paintdiddy

paintdiddy Machine gun shits

Member:
    First Name:
    shithead
    nj and not from "the jersey shore"
    Vehicle:
    silver bullet
    find used on cl. can im sure you can find free or cheap ones.i had a vw trek thule rack on my cap that i got for free.

To Top