1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

If I Could Do it Again- Plasti Dip

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Johnders, Apr 24, 2019.

1. Apr 24, 2019 at 8:21 AM
    Johnders

Johnders [OP] Spacer Lift Survivor

Member:
    First Name:
    John
    Vehicle:
    2010 Black Access Cab Tacoma Base
    2" Lift , 265/75R16 tires, K& N filter, MBRP Exhaust
    Hey All,

When I bought my truck it had black plastic hub caps over the stock steel wheels, they looked okay so I ran them. Eventually they got cracks and started making a lot of annoying noises going down the road so I decided to take them off and just paint the steel wheel. I have never had much luck painting things. Especially when it comes to cars. I have never used Plasti Dip but I keep hearing things about it everywhere for years now and how easy it is, so I figure what the heck. I watched some videos online to get a basic idea, it seemed real straight forward. Fast forward. I painted my wheels and before they could finish fully drying, they started to bubble / peel off around the contours of the outer edges of the rim. Everywhere else looks great.. Where did I go wrong?

My process was:

1> A thorough wash (let dry overnight)

2> Scraped off any loose rust ect using a wire brush

3> Wiped down wheel with a pre paint prep spray

4> Did about 5 coats total starting very light and gradually laying on heavier about 20-30 min apart (dry to touch).

Products Discussed in

To Top