1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

If you had to pick: .45 or 9mm

Discussion in 'Guns & Hunting' started by jeremy_283, Feb 16, 2012.

?

If you only owned one gun what would it shoot?

Poll closed Mar 17, 2012.
  1. 9mm

168 vote(s)
    44.8%
  2. .45

207 vote(s)
    55.2%
  1. Mar 19, 2012 at 4:07 PM
    TacomaPrime

TacomaPrime Cybertronian Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Gregory
    Illinois
    Vehicle:
    14 TRD sport 4x4 Barcelona Red
    Weathertech front floor liners, window vent visors. Custom bedside decals. OEM bed mat, tonneau covrew. Added D rings to bed.
    im leading towards a 40 myself too. 45 cal is a little too expensive for me. but the 40 I looked at was about 350. might pick up a 9mm to practice shoot with too.

2. Mar 19, 2012 at 4:14 PM
    mentose457

mentose457 Well-Known Member

Member:
  3. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:31 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.

... ^^^ ... x 2 ... :D

4. Mar 19, 2012 at 6:50 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    I disagree.

Unless they are using birdshot... which is largely ineffective against a human target beyond point-blank (there's a reason birdshot is used for birds and buckshot is used for bucks).
    Everyone seems to think that a shotgun will give a 3ft "kill" pattern. It doesn't, at least not at typical home defense range.

And what "shotgun"? 10ga? 12ga? 16ga? 20ga? 410?
    There's a huge difference in both impact and the ability to handle them. My wife is pretty damned good with any handgun I've given her.
    He hadn't shot anything in at least 20 years, and she was getting inside the 9 ring with my XD9 at 7 yards 10 out of 10 shots.
    Shotgun? With her physical limitations, she would seriously injure herself with anything larger than a 20ga.

5. Mar 19, 2012 at 9:11 PM
    Rmodel65

Rmodel65 Yukon Cornelius

Member:
    Jawja
    Vehicle:
    1996 Yota 4x4
    Viper Red paint

what?

[​IMG]

6. Mar 19, 2012 at 9:24 PM

1980 Well-Known Member

Member:
    The Dust Bowl
    I'm still going with a pheasant or goose load for home defense. I know for a fact that birdshot can kill within the distance of a room or hallway because I've bagged the bodies and attended the autopsies. I once treated a broken femur caused by a .410 slug too -- that guy was alive but he sure wasn't interested in causing any trouble for anyone. If I live in the house next door to you I would hope that you are shooting something that won't go through my walls and kill me too. If you have a handgun for home defense though and have family or nearby neighbors you might consider using frangible bullets.

Something like #4 buckshot would be good too as it combines more penetration with a small enough pellet size to not go through too many walls; here it gives about 10" penetration in gel:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=PDjNaTeUt2Y&feature=related

To the person who decries my use of the word "clip," I spent six years in the Army and nobody ever asked me what I meant when I asked for a few .45 clips. Technically correct sometimes varies from commonly-used. For instance, a brook 'trout' isn't a trout at all -- it's a char, but if you want to call it a trout I know what you are talking about.

7. Mar 19, 2012 at 11:37 PM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    yeah the spread on buck shot or even bird shot at 20 feet will be about 4-6 inches around to those of you guys thinkin you'll just buy a shotgun cause they're noisy and you dont have to aim them:rolleyes:

not arguing that a shotgun isn't a good HD weapon, just the intimidation and aiming part

edit, when i used to keep a 12ga stocked up for HD it always had #4 BUCK shot in it, little more spread, little more pellets, little LESS over penatration

8. Mar 20, 2012 at 12:36 AM
    HandBanana

HandBanana Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Washington
    Wow, lots of misinformation on this thread.

First things first. Buy a shotgun for your home defense. It's $200 and will give you the exact knock down power you need for home defense.

For a plinking handgun, buy a cheap 9mm that you find comfortable.

This will cost you way less than a cheap 1911, and will cost less than a medium to higher end 9mm, while giving you exactly what you need.

As far as knock down power and the .45 myths, well it's all subjective. You can shoot a man in the arm with a .50cal all day and it won't kill him till he finally bleeds out. Caliber is not the only consideration for self defense. Your ability to fire the round comfortably and accurately are what counts.

I personally go with .40s&w, because it's a combination of power, ease of shooting, and capacity. The more rounds you carry, the more able you are to defend against multiple attackers without having to reload.

No matter how bad ass your bullet is (hydroshocks, black talons, ranger sxt's, TAPs, whatever), you need to be able to place it on target where it can do some real damage to your attacker. Even if you hit him right in the heart, you still shoot again.

I've seen an inmate who is only in prison because he shot a guy in the back of the head at point blank and the bullet travelled around the skull instead of penetrating it. It made a big enough mess that the inmate thought the guy was dead. Nope, he lived and he sqwaked in court and the inmate is down for a long time. I've seen a guy shot three times in the back with a .223, which does a whole lot of different kind of damage than a handgun and is way more effective at killing than any handgun round on the market. He was walking around a cell that same night he got shot.

Again, whatever you choose, make sure you can shoot it accurately, comfortably, fast, and have enough rounds on you to take care of at least 2 attackers at once.

If you feel comfortable with a 1911, then use it. If you feel comfortable with a glock or xd, or whatever in 9mm, .40, whatver, then use it.

The worst assumption you can make when it comes to self defense is that you will end a fight with one shot. Even if it's only one guy, you shoot him till he stops.

Okay, /end rant.

9. Mar 20, 2012 at 12:39 AM
    HandBanana

HandBanana Member

Member:
    First Name:
    J
    Washington

Federal 00 buckshot has a tight group at 20yards(60feet), and is what most LE uses(well at least my dept). I wouldn't use it for home defense though.

Also if you are worried about the spread, you can apply a full choke. If you are worried about overpenetration, use lower power shells.

10. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:30 AM
    philinchains

philinchains Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tforce Supercharged 4WD CrewCab
    TRD blower, Bilstein Baja shocks
    I know there's Law Enforcement AND Military Vets (me) on here. This can go on forever. But, go and shoot both guns. See what YOU like and are comfortable with. We keep guns throughout my home loaded at all times. I have no kids and the only guns my wife can't shoot stay unloaded, except the Mossberg 590SP. That one's got over 50 bucks of ammo in it. It holds 9, and I use some specialty ammo. Learn how to load the gun in the dark. Use and shoot the gun often, and you will/can protect your family with either weapon. My side of the bed has the Kimber Ultra Carry .45 and my wife's got the Beretta 9. It' only took a couple of days to get her to grab the gun, slam in a 15rd clip, and chamber one in the dark. She now sleeps comfortably when I'm not home.

11. Mar 20, 2012 at 6:32 AM
    philinchains

philinchains Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    San Antonio, TX
    Vehicle:
    13 Tforce Supercharged 4WD CrewCab
    TRD blower, Bilstein Baja shocks
    Oh, and go get a concealed carry permit. These places offer training beyond the carry class that may help you if you have no Law Enforcement or Military training.

12. Mar 20, 2012 at 8:56 AM
    kessler89

kessler89 Well-Known Member

Member:
    OH
    Vehicle:
    12' Pro4x 6MT
    TBA
    full choke is gonna make the pattern tighter

and if we're talking about the same federal 00buck flite control, yeah that stuff is awesome, i've got about 200rds of it and for outside you're house there'd be no better choice out of a 12ga

i think this whole threads drifted wayyyy off topic anyways, the OP wants ONE HANDGUN for multi use, not just for HD, somehow it went into "one shot kills", into the "click click" of a 12ga, and on and on lol

13. May 7, 2012 at 9:55 AM
    cluznar

cluznar Member

Member:
    9mm, less recoil means easier follow up shots plus you can get them with 10, 12, 15, 17 round mags -- you'll stop em with this.

Ammo is cheaper for more practice.

If you like .45 and handle it well then do it, they do have more stopping power.

I have a Stoeger Cougar 9mm for home and a Ruger SR9c 9mm for carry and happy with them.

14. May 7, 2012 at 1:09 PM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    What are you going to do? Frisk them as they come through the window?

15. May 7, 2012 at 3:29 PM
    SOSHeloPilot

SOSHeloPilot My 1st Muscle Car

Member:
    U.S.A.
    Vehicle:
    2023 RAV4 XLE Premium
    Missing My Last Tacoma --- Had 11 Toyota trucks in the past and many other Toyota cars too.
    ... ^^^ ... Very well said ... especially about shotgun for H/D, loading in darkness (by feel) and putting "multiple rounds on target" ... :D

16. May 7, 2012 at 6:51 PM
    Rich91710

Rich91710 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Los Angeles
    Vehicle:
    08 Base
    Satoshi with FJ badge, factory cruise, factory intermittent wipers, Redline Tuning hood-lift struts, Hellwig Swaybar, Rosen DVD-Nav
    Indeed, indeed.

Always much fail in home defense threads.

An unloaded gun is no more useful than an unloaded paintball gun.

ALL of my handguns are fully loaded and chambered 24/7 (except the 1903, I haven't had a chance to test fire it yet, last time it was fired was 50+ years ago).

17. May 7, 2012 at 10:39 PM
    Bahurim

Bahurim New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    WY
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Access SR5 TRD 5speed 3.4l
    Love both these rounds, IMO, 9mm kick seems to be just as hard as 45. 9mm is a quick snap, 45 is more of a slower hard push.

For home defense, gotta agree with above poster that shotgun is weapon of choice. Cheap rounds, cheap gun, easy to load and shoot. Very menacing sound of a pump action being chambered!

Remember, this is your home, there could be friendlies.
    ALWAYS positively id your target before engaging.

18. May 8, 2012 at 6:56 AM
    RevAdam

RevAdam Impressive Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Upstate SC
    Vehicle:
    11 TRD OR 4x4
    Icom 5100 radio, Baja Rack, Kenwood 6980, ARB Bull Bar, Lightforce HID lights, Warn winch, LED lights, 5100s, Switchbacks, Redarc TowPro
    The sound of racking a shotgun will get you shot.... You people watch too many movies.

19. May 9, 2012 at 3:28 AM
    cluznar

cluznar Member

Member:
    I agree, this ain't a TV movie. Racking a shotgun or making any gun sounds only alerts an intruder. Possible he could run, but also possible he could simply watch where the sound came from and shoot you when you step out.

Don't assume all intruders are dumb or scared, have your gun loaded so all you have to do is flip off the safety.

Now you have a chance. :quickdraw:

Products Discussed in

To Top