1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Igniter wire harness

Discussion in 'Technical Chat' started by TacosSuck, Mar 11, 2018.

1. Mar 11, 2018 at 7:34 PM
    TacosSuck

TacosSuck [OP] New Member

Member:
    Hi everyone. Ive got a 2004 6 cyl, sr5 tacoma and it just died on the road yesterday. After some investigating it turned out to be a single broken wire that connects to the Igniter thats mounted on the wheel well. It was pretty simple to figure out that it was the problem: connect the two ends, truck runs. disconnect them, it dies.

anyways, I cant find a SINGLE place that sells the harness, or even the connector that attaches to the ignitor. Can someone point me in the right direction? Im currently waiting to hear back from the dealership but god knows they will charge me 100x what it should cost.

Those wires are crimped in there along with the tiny wire gaskets, and the broken wire broke flush with the gasket. i already tried to perform surgery and was unsuccessful.

20180311_161539.jpg

2. Mar 12, 2018 at 1:49 AM
    Wyoming09

Wyoming09 Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Tripoli Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Work truck 5 speed 4x4 3.4
    Super Springs
    Find a used one off a harness already in pieces . solder and heat shrink the used plug on.

Making sure your wires match .

There should be enough wire to re crimp new pins if that is in your skill set .

3. Mar 14, 2018 at 5:42 PM
    License2Ill

License2Ill Woke like a Coma Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    It's a dry heat thou, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2004 SC'd 5VZ DC 5spd 4x4 TRD.GOV
    Bailing wire & Duct tape
    Yep. Find a good used harness or resolder and marine shrink wrap a new pin into your old connector.

I'd recommend repinning your connector. If going the donor harness route you'll need to find the exact year/transmission/engine/Transfer case type as the truck you have now. Because the ECU changes pins for every year.

4. Mar 15, 2018 at 1:17 AM
    MikeWH

MikeWH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colfax, CA
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD 4x4 (x2)
    Did you try Ballenger Motorsports? They sell many of our connectors and almost all the pins and seals.

https://www.bmotorsports.com

If they don’t have it, Toyota will sell you the pin with a pigtail on it for ~$12 that you can then splice tomyour harness...but unless you have a sharp parts guy you need to do your research in Toyota’s connector manual (I believe there is a sticky link to itnin the first gen forum). Start with the 5 digit number on your connector

czotie and Sandman614 like this.
  5. Mar 15, 2018 at 1:23 AM
    License2Ill

License2Ill Woke like a Coma Toyota Tacoma

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    It's a dry heat thou, AZ
    Vehicle:
    2004 SC'd 5VZ DC 5spd 4x4 TRD.GOV
    Bailing wire & Duct tape
    That's easy. Igniter connector for the 5vz is 90980-11653. The pin, the soldering & re-pinning will involve the effort and/or munnie$. The connector looks like it's in fine shape to be reused..

edit; a few of us have the pins. A wtb in the f/s is a good option. I actually have all the different electrical pins. But It would probably take $15 to motivate me to get me into a post office. @mechanicjon you got any of these?

Last edited: Mar 15, 2018
  6. Mar 16, 2018 at 5:30 AM
    nzbrock

nzbrock Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube

Attached Files:

7. Mar 16, 2018 at 5:32 AM
    freeriderchad108

freeriderchad108 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Boston
    Vehicle:
    2016 Tacoma TRD Sport Silver
    A few minor things...
    boom

Found one.

Double check it before you buy, but for $20 with a cut off harness... that's not bad.

8. Dec 17, 2019 at 11:47 AM
    Allday47

Allday47 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma V6 5 speed 4x4
    I have the same problem thanks for the info. What pin would I use for the ignition plug on a 03 Tacoma v6??? Thank you

9. Dec 17, 2019 at 12:55 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    SAW 2.0 Coilovers Wheeler's 5 Leaf + 3 AAL Bilstein 5100s LCE long tube header Flowmaster Delta 50 Muffler FJ Trail Team Wheels 255/85/16 Cooper ST Maxx 4Runner overhead sunglass console 4Runner leather seats All LED lights Red/Clear Tail Light Tundra Brakes HID Projector Retrofits 4Runner Auto Up/Down Windows Bullet Liner Cargo tie down system E-locker axle swap w/4.56 Gears ARE MX Cap Prinsu Toprac Custom heated turn signal/puddle light mirrors Volant Intake Tube
    What ignition plug are you talking about? Ignition coil, ignition switch, etc....

10. Dec 17, 2019 at 1:14 PM
    Allday47

Allday47 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma V6 5 speed 4x4
    It’s the plug that plugs into the ignitor 1 wire broke off

11. Dec 17, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    Allday47

Allday47 New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    03 Tacoma V6 5 speed 4x4
    It’s the same as the top photo in this forum but the far right green wire

12. Dec 17, 2019 at 1:15 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    Do you have a picture of it? I don't know the exact connector since I don't have the same engine, but if you post a picture I can probably find it in the wiring manual I posted earlier.

13. Dec 17, 2019 at 1:16 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    Oh in that case then it should be the same part number I posted earlier. The replacement will not have the right color wire, but the terminals are all the same.

14. Dec 17, 2019 at 9:10 PM
    MikeWH

MikeWH Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Colfax, CA
    Vehicle:
    1999 TRD 4x4 (x2)
    See posts 4, 5, and 6

15. Jul 27, 2021 at 10:26 AM
    PapaKetz

PapaKetz Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    04 TRD 3.4 4x4
    How did these repairs go? I have the same issue (far left/grey/ Ign Coil A)

even after surgery she will stall and throw the code after warming up

any insights on engine bay wiring specifics?

16. Nov 23, 2022 at 7:26 PM
    Helmetfire

Helmetfire New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Vehicle:
    2001 Tacoma 4WD 4 door with TRD kit (locker in back).
    Custom Flat bed and rack, air bags (adjustable from cab), long travel suspension, True Track diff in front.
    I looked all over the place to figure out how to get the pins released from this connector. The reference manual posted above does not cover them. So I purchased a used connector on ebay so that I could use it. The seller on ebay included a sneaky description calling it a 9 wire connector. In other words, one of the wires was pulled out and missing. So I cut the connector open to see what it takes to release the pins.

You have to pull the white insert out of the front. Then you can go in with the tool described in the reference manual and release the pin from the front, pulling the pin out the back.

I posted this because I could not find any description of how to do this anywhere.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  17. Nov 25, 2022 at 8:23 PM
    nzbrock

Member:
    First Name:
    Noah
    San Marcos, TX
    Vehicle:
    99 TRD Prerunner 3RZ
    That pretty much describes all Toyota connectors. Remove some sort of “pin locking” piece from the connector, then use a small thin flat head screw driver to hold back the pin so that you can pull it out.

Some connectors don’t have a locking device, but most do. I’ve been able to remove all pins on any connector with a small screw driver.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  18. Jul 27, 2023 at 8:32 PM
    czotie

czotie Dang Ol' TacoBio

Member:
    First Name:
    Zote
    California
    Vehicle:
    2001 Silver Tacoma 4x4 Xtra Cab
    Bilstein 5100's Firestone Riderites Deckplate Mod & AEM Aisin Clutch plate Luk Flywheel Timken bearings Marlin Crawler shifter bushing GTA CarKit Gentex 453
    I fixed this today hopefully permanently.

After taking off the airbox the first time, I accidentally loosened/broke one of the igniter connections. Every time I was able to shove the wire back in and reinitiate contact by keeping the rubber seal as a stop for the wire. But after months of hard wheeling, I would get a P1300 or P0310 code with the engine going rough so I'd shove the wire back in; rinse and repeat for years. Once in a very hairy situation, this led to the engine dying in some sketchy desert country. I go above and beyond for this truck on repairs but I neglected this one for too long and hopefully didn't cause additional damage.

• The igniter connector is 90980-11653, (connectors start with 90980) I called my local Toyota parts and they could not find the terminals, rubber seal/sleeve, or the pigtail that goes with this connector.
    • Toyota Parts dealer suggested 829988-12590, (wires start with 829988) this pigtail is 14 gauge, I needed something 18 gauge, due to the wire shielding coming in at 1.6mm and the wire 1.00 mm. You can always go up in wire size but you can't go down. I didn't want to Frankenstein a pigtail on this wire so I decided to find the proper terminals and a seal.
    • Toyota, Honda, O'Reillys, Autozone, no one has terminals of this type anymore in stock. An older man at O'Reilly's told me they stopped stocking them, we were able to order a similar terminal but it wasn't the right size.
    Since I'm in California I went with a CA company so I could get the part sooner:
    How to Fix:

1. You'll want to pop the white cover on the connector off, there are two small slits in the bottom you can get a pick tool or a paper clip into.

2. You will then want to unhook the terminal from the black clip on the inside with a pick tool and pull the terminal out. In my case, it was severed so I have to push it out with a screwdriver at the same time.

3. Trim any necessary wire off the top so the shielding won't bind and strip the necessary amount of shielding (start with 16ga to make sure you do need 18 ga). Be sure to not take too much wire off or your harness won't fit without causing more issues. Make sure your wire is still solid and has the correct amount of copper fibers/lines to it, you don't want less than you need, that will cause overheating and burn the igniter. Slide your seal on, crimp the new terminal, and seal.

4. Pop the terminal in and you're hopefully good to go.

Last edited: Jul 28, 2023
    Bivouac and MikeWH like this.
  19. Jul 28, 2023 at 9:28 AM
    Bivouac

Bivouac Well-Known Member

Member:
    Northern Lehigh Valley Pa
    Vehicle:
    2000 Tacoma 5 speed 3.4
    Remains to be seen I bought the tires and wheels the rest came along
    Nice write up on a older thread!

czotie[QUOTED] likes this.