1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Ignition cylinder

Discussion in '1st Gen. Tacomas (1995-2004)' started by mumblemouth, Aug 12, 2010.

1. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:31 AM
    mumblemouth

mumblemouth [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ignition cylinder went out on 2000 tacoma, it went from key would go to acc position 2x but wouldn't starft, pulled key out to check it, now it won't go back in, decided prob gonna have to drill it out, tried wd-40, wiggling, beating, everything, none worked, any one have a pic ect of where I'm suppose to drill?

2. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:33 AM
    scottri

scottri Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Scott
    Tigard Oregon
    Vehicle:
    '10 Sport DC TRD Sport PreRunner
    Cover King Seat Covers, WeatherTech Liners, PopNLock, storage bin locks, N-Fab Step bars, and G4 Elite Tonneau cover.
    Now days you need to disassemble the stearing column on vehicles to remove the lock cylinder. Drilling it won't do much good.

3. Aug 12, 2010 at 10:37 AM
    mumblemouth

mumblemouth [OP] New Member

Member:
    Ok, numerous people said to drill it, even mobile mechanics said its an easy fx if they drill, but they want 500$ to do it

4. Sep 28, 2010 at 2:37 PM
    deeztaco

deeztaco Member

Member:
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    02 PreRunner 2WD
    Leather Interior, Kenwood DDX512 Stereo, Magnaflow Muffler, Custom Truck Bed Bike Rack, Yakima Q Tower Roof Rack.
    The problem that I had with cylinder was that key either wouldn't go in all the way or it would slightly turn but not enough to ACC. I was getting ready to drill out pin release and replace with new cylinder. My ex girlfriend called and told me she found my spare key which was a factory cut spare. I put it in the ignition and it worked like a charm. I am getting two spares cut from the dealer today.

To Top