1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Illuminated Ignition Ring Mod

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by JdevTac, Feb 9, 2015.

1. Mar 24, 2017 at 4:08 PM
    Greenbean

Greenbean B.S. Goodwrench

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    2015 AC 2.7L 5-spd 4x4 Utility Package
  2. Mar 24, 2017 at 5:10 PM
    adio

adio Well-Known Member

Member:
    HI
    Vehicle:
    2015 INFERNO TRD PRO
    Greenbean[QUOTED] likes this.
  3. Mar 25, 2017 at 2:33 PM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    Scored a used Camry ignition switch assembly on eBay today for 31 shipped....

And it has the wiring harness still plugged in and about 4-5" of wire left there. Should make wiring it up easier.

This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
    BadDNA and Toy4me like this.
  4. Mar 28, 2017 at 2:24 AM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    Well it seems some of us aren't able to do this mod without some serious work, my 2015 Access Cab 4-cyl has no transponder key or receiver type switch. The seller was really cool and refunded me the cost and never shipped the Camry ignition switch.

Here is what my switch looks like, :(

IMG_0997.jpg

ChadsPride likes this.
  5. Mar 28, 2017 at 1:22 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac [OP] Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    Sorry man, that's what I was talking with t@co_prerunner about on the previous page, that the keyless entry guys Or ones without the transponder would have to essentially remove the ignition and install a new one to fit the ring

ChadsPride likes this.
  6. Mar 28, 2017 at 2:09 PM
    Greenbean

Member:
    First Name:
    Zack
    Western NC
    Vehicle:
    Yeah,

I'm not looking to tear into it that much...

Great mod either way though....

ChadsPride likes this.
  7. Mar 29, 2017 at 8:35 AM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    I wonder if you cut one of the other transponder amplifier wires and splice in a switch, if it wouldn't work like a kill switch. Basically turn off the transponder, so the truck wouldn't start?

ChadsPride likes this.
  8. Mar 29, 2017 at 10:50 AM
    JdevTac

JdevTac [OP] Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I thought about that. Not that id personally do it but it would be no different than just unplugging the amplifier. But honestly would there even be a point? If someone wants to steal a chip keyed truck, they'd just flatbed it and haul it away I'd assume?

I'm not knowledgeable on theft methods so I don't know how easy or difficult it is to acquire or modify a key to jive with the truck's ECU.

ChadsPride likes this.
  9. Mar 29, 2017 at 12:20 PM
    RacecarGuy

RacecarGuy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    '12 DCSB OR
    Pelfreybilt front and rear HC bumper w/swingout, BAMF LCA Skids, BAMF Diff skid, Pelfreybilt IFS and Trans skid, RCI gas tank skid, Bronze SCS F-5's, Icon RR's ext travel, Dakar leafs, Archive Garage shackle flip
    Yeah, I was just think of minor thefts, like we had a few break ins at the gym I belonged to. They would force open a locker and steal keys. Also thinking it could prevent someone from car jacking your keys while walking in a parking lot. Figured I could make a simple switch hidden somewhere, so even if they had the key, it wouldn't start.

ChadsPride likes this.
  10. Dec 2, 2017 at 10:09 AM
    wedgemoose

wedgemoose Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Wedge
    Worcester,MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport
    Now you have one failure on here men. I don't know why but this was the hardest project i have ever done. Hours and hours and now i'm back to the original

my plug cap snapped in half trying to get it apart one last time. so i had to pull the 2 wires and close it up one last time before i had no vehicle to use

i don't know why i had so much problems but i did. didn't know which was pin 2 or 6 for polarity. But hooked it up both ways so that shouldn't matter. i bought the right terminal with wire on them from Toyota. Ran everything perfect and have solid juice in one and the other tapped into blue wire in A pilar. Don;t know but i do know i failed miserably. I would offer mine to one of you guys to have but i left it in there for the heck of it.

this sucks. it had to be my two wires were not in correctly. had to be. Since i bought the ones on the first page from Toyota i didn't have to cut any ears off right? Maybe that was it

11. Dec 2, 2017 at 10:19 AM
    Up2NoGood

Up2NoGood Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jaimes
    BC, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport DCLB
    That doesn’t sound like fun. If you want to take another crack at it I can try and help... would just need a few pictures of your connections. Did you test the light on the ring first? It’s possible you just got a faulty part and the LED isn’t working.

12. Dec 2, 2017 at 10:51 AM
    Hit n Run

Hit n Run Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    14 Black DCLB Sport
    In this picture the red wire goes to 12V hot and the brown wire goes to negative lead for dome light circuit:

IMG_0595.jpg

I used an add a fuse to get 12V hot from the PWR Outlet fuse (red wire in picture above):

panel.jpg

The brown wire in first picture was tapped into this blue wire to the left of the fuse panel:

dome circuit.jpg

The lower dash did have to be removed to access this dome light wire:

IMG_0673.jpg

Hopefully the pictures help.

MOBB1N likes this.
  13. Dec 3, 2017 at 12:12 PM
    wedgemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Wedge
    Worcester,MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport

it wasn't fun up2. And I did your much more involved heated mirror install like it was nothing. I have the wires run perfect and it looks like stock. Not one problem with that or any other ones i did. I even have my "lighted" fog light switch wired correctly and to do that i had to grab power from the fuse box under the hood(take it apart and grab hot from under the box). I think i'm the only only one that did it this correct way. the other way made it work close to perfect but not perfect. Meaning i usually do pretty good with these things and kind of know what I'm doing.

One question for you though. so i bought the Toyota terminals and they came pre-crimped with wire attached already. so buying these expensive wires instead of making myself means i didn't have to cut that little shark fin off the terminal right? I pushed it in the plug all the way. It looked right. But i did have to force the cap back down after putting the two new wires in. And thats why i had to break it to get it apart again. So either i was supposed to modify the stock Toyota terminal. or something else was wrong

Ony problem now is i can't try again. the plug is destroyed and barley together now. I would need to buy that harness and cut the plug and splice in the truck. Not a ton of room in there or wore to do this. I'm screwed!!!

here is a pic of the extra expensive wire i bought. was something supposed to be cut of the terminal???

IMG_20171203_150915.jpg

14. Dec 3, 2017 at 12:17 PM
    wedgemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Wedge
    Worcester,MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport

Not going to Lie HitnRun but i thought the hot was the second from the left. But i tried it both ways eventually. And thanks for the detailed pics and write up. You did NOT have to do that for me. So i thanks you a million times over for this.

But that's how i have it unfortunately. I must of been the two wires. They didn't go in good and i knew it. No click or anything like usual. I could just tell they weren't right. but it's so small and hard to see. They looked like they were all the way down. I don't know but this killed me. All that money for a failure that i can't try again. And never mind the money i wanted this function bad. thanks again. I'm an idiot !!!

Only thing i did different was i grabbed the blue wire from the A-pilar. But i ground it out to metal to see if i could get it to light on it's own and nothing. Thats should of worked right? The positive to hot. And the other to a regular ground should of kept the light on non stop right??(to test it)

15. Dec 3, 2017 at 12:20 PM
    wedgemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Wedge
    Worcester,MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport

Hey but one thing!!!! Where did you get that plug like that??? with all the open wires? can i buy one and splice it in? maybe there is room when you disconnect some things in there. Why do you have a separate plug like that(i guess i should ask). Maybe there is hope after all.

16. Dec 3, 2017 at 12:23 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac [OP] Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    If you mangled your connector you can always get a replacement for like $3-4

Part number

Just be careful getting pins out the old one if you go that route

17. Dec 3, 2017 at 12:28 PM
    wedgemoose

Member:
    First Name:
    Wedge
    Worcester,MA
    Vehicle:
    2014 TRD Sport

Really!!!! didn't even think of that. what an idiot. Do you know how they come out? it is just pulling on the wires? or do you have to un-click something(some sort of lock).

i might be back at this. thanks all of you!!! I really mean it. I totally forgot i can get just a plug and start over from scratch.

18. Dec 3, 2017 at 12:48 PM
    JdevTac

JdevTac [OP] Bawnjourno

Member:
    First Name:
    Josh
    GA/WA
    Vehicle:
    2nd gen
    I can’t 100% remember how the old pins come out. I believe the small ones (pins 2-6) just come right out once you remove the retainer clip on the plastic plug (the one that flips up).

The outer pins (1 and 7) are the larger pins and held in by a clip on the pin itself. You’ll likely need a very small pin removal tool or something homemade, maybe a tiny tiny jewelry screwdriver to remove them. I think last time I did it I just sacrificed the plug and cut the plug up to remove those big guys.

When you say your other plug fell apart what exactly do you mean? Like it literally broke in half or you just broke the retainer piece off?

19. Dec 3, 2017 at 1:00 PM
    Muddinfun

Muddinfun Well-Known Member

Member:
    This site contains affiliate links for which the site may be compensated.
  20. Dec 3, 2017 at 1:10 PM
    Hit n Run

Hit n Run Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Vehicle:
    14 Black DCLB Sport
    I have the extra plug as I did the same as Muddinfun.

Maybe you need to test the illuminated ring to make sure it works??

IMG_0848.jpg

Muddinfun likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top