1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Illumination wire help.

Discussion in 'Audio & Video' started by saitcho, Dec 2, 2011.

1. Dec 2, 2011 at 7:58 AM
    saitcho

saitcho [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC 4x4 trd off road
    I had a Pioneer avic Z130 installed at a local shop last weekend and everythign works except the illumination wire does not appear to be connected. There is a feature in the headunit that will cause the brightness to dim when the headlights are switched on. However, nothing happens on the headunit when I turn on my headlights.

Now I called the audio shop and they said to bring it in and they will look. But before I hung up they also said "some vehicles dont have an illumination wire so that part just wont ever work." Now while that may be true for some vehicles I kind of doubt it is true on our trucks.

Can someone with the facts please give me any tips and info that may be useful when talking with the car audio shop later today? I want to have as many facts as possible before letting them tell me it can't be done.

2. Dec 2, 2011 at 9:50 AM
    TurboGT

TurboGT Stirring the pot since...

Member:
    First Name:
    Gabe
    Portland
    Vehicle:
    '16 Inferno DC LB 4x4
    None yet, starting over!! OME lift w/ Dakars & 885's Remote Start w/ window control
    If you're factory radio dimmed with the headlights (or the illumination dimmer switch) then your car has the wire there and they just didn't hook it up.

I know for a fact that Tacos do, as I have my radio set up that way - they're just being lazy.

3. Dec 2, 2011 at 9:53 AM
    mattg43

mattg43 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Matt
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 Prerunner SR5 DC
    SwingCase, driver side. PVC Bike rack. Aftermarket stereo.
    Gabe is dead on. It was already there (and the right color) on the Metra wire harness I used in my truck

I run with my headlights on all the time, as the truck turns them off with the key anyways), so I have it set to "daytime" on the deck anyways, but it took all of 3 minutes to solder and heat shrink it, and I just did it anyways...

4. Dec 2, 2011 at 11:04 AM
    saitcho

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC 4x4 trd off road
    Great. Thanks. Hopefully it shouldn't be an issue when I take it in tomorrow morning.

5. Dec 2, 2011 at 10:05 PM
    Norton

Norton Senior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Steve
    Colorado Springs, CO
    Vehicle:
    2013 Access Cab 4x4 V6 6MT, TRD OR & Tow Packages
    Magnuson S/C w/12TRDTacoma's Qwikchange Hub & 2.5" RIP-Modded Pulley, Roostfactor's Pulley Wrap Mod; FPR Mod; JustDSM Tune via HPT MPVI2; mightytacoman Intercooler Tank; aFe POWER Magnum FLOW Pro DRY S Air Filter; OME Suspension Lift (885 Coils, Dakar Leafs, NitroCharger Sports); TRD Quickshifter w/TRD 6-Spd Knob; TRD Exhaust; NSB-AGM27F Battery w/HKB Adjustable Voltage Booster & Coupe's TRD Battery Hold Down; Goodridge SS Brake Lines; Trident904's MT ADM; BFG All-Terrain T/A KO2s on FJ SE Anthracite Rims; N-Fab 6-Step Nerf Bars; BPF TRD Skid, Tow Hook, & Cooling Panel; jsi's Locker Anytime, Up2NoGood's 2Lo Module; ramonortiz55's Always on Power Outlet Relay, ND4's Fog Light Anytime, & Crom's Speed Bleeder Mods; crashnburn80's Ultimate Headlight & Fog Light Upgrades; ThreatLevelMidnight's Wireless Charger; 4Runner 4X4 & FJ Fog Light Switches; redtaco2007-inspired LED License Plate Lights; AudioControl LC2i LOC, JL Audio XD200/2v2 Amp, Focal PS165V1 Spkrs, Sound Ordnance B-8PTD Sub, Hushmat & Noico Sound Insulation; loginfailed-inspired Speedhut Boost & AFR Gauges in a Lotek Pillar Pod; Ltd Auto-Dim/Compass/Temp/Backup Camera/Homelink mirror on ImMrYo's Mirror Lift Bracket; TacomaBeast Glove Box & Console Organizers; Husky Floor Liners; UltraGauge EM; mesojdm's Ultimate LED Dome & Map Lights & GASSHOLE; Redline Tuning QuickLIFT Elite; Mobtown Offroad Locking Bed Storage Doors; Toyota Bed Mat; Cali Raised Led Bed Stiffeners; Pop & Lock Power Tailgate Lock w/TacomaTruckParts Support Bracket; ARE Z-Series Cap, SolarGard Tint; BlendMounted & MirrorTapped Uniden R3; CravenSpeed Stubby Antenna; Amsoil Lubricants; Adam's Detailing Supplies
    While the subject truck in this thread is older, I don't think the wiring has changed significantly...

6. Dec 7, 2011 at 11:21 AM
    saitcho

Member:
    New Orleans
    Vehicle:
    '11 DC 4x4 trd off road
    Just wanted to update that it's all working now. love this unit but voice command could work better

Products Discussed in

To Top