1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm buying a new taco; stuck in the mud between access cab and double cab

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by ej_, Jun 20, 2018.

1. Sep 14, 2018 at 11:09 PM
    JoeRacer302

JoeRacer302 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joe
    Pasadena, CA
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCSB OR MT Inferno
    Front: 5100's @ 0.85 Rear: 1/2" spacers 265/75r16 on RAY10
    Yea, but they make them, and they sell them on the other side of the border. So they make them in TX, ship through the US, up to Canada, and then sell them there. I hate the bean counters that make these decisions.

shakerhood and Riding Dirty like this.
  2. Sep 14, 2018 at 11:17 PM
    FourBanger99

FourBanger99 4 Banger Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bayne
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tacoma 2.7 AC SR5 4x4
    Full OME Suspension CB Diff Breather Duratracs
    I have an access cab. I wish I had a four door. No one wants to ride in the back, kind of a bummer.

bnichols likes this.
  3. Sep 14, 2018 at 11:41 PM
    NMTrailRider

NMTrailRider Well-Known Member

Member:
    New Mexico
    "However my fiance is pissed about it (irrelevant)"

Classic. Welcome to TW, op!

shakerhood likes this.
  4. Sep 15, 2018 at 4:34 AM
    Riding Dirty

Riding Dirty Sinner; saved by grace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Before: '16 TRD OR 4x4 AC QS//After: 17 T4R Pro 040
    PlastiDip
    That’s the point! Hahahaha!

bnichols likes this.
  5. Sep 15, 2018 at 5:06 AM
    boynoyce

boynoyce .

Member:
    Vehicle:
    16SR5AC4X4V6QS
    FIFY....:rofl:

To be fair, just because we appreciate that the Access Cab is the most perfect configuration currently available, doesn't mean everyone sees it the same way.

Riding Dirty[QUOTED] likes this.
  6. Sep 15, 2018 at 10:54 AM
    spoofy

spoofy Well-Known Member

Member:
    Isn't that a good thing? haha

7. Sep 15, 2018 at 11:13 AM
    FourBanger99

FourBanger99 4 Banger Taco

Member:
    First Name:
    Bayne
    Birmingham
    Vehicle:
    2012 Black Tacoma 2.7 AC SR5 4x4
    Full OME Suspension CB Diff Breather Duratracs
    Not when you’re in college

8. Sep 15, 2018 at 11:14 AM
    spoofy

spoofy Well-Known Member

Member:
    As I've gotten older I've realized I would rather not give rides to people lol

Jh8473, Riding Dirty and boynoyce like this.
  9. Sep 15, 2018 at 1:27 PM
    ej_

ej_ [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    PICTURE FROM MY CURRENT OFFICE HOPEFULLY FOR THE NEXT FEW MONTHS!
    [​IMG]

SilverBulletII and boynoyce like this.
  10. Sep 15, 2018 at 1:34 PM
    ej_

Member:
    Yea it's better that way if you're not working with me or a buddy that belongs in the truck i don't want you in it! I was already conned into moving a huge dresser, with the dblcb no way it would have fit so that's one advantage right there= Ducking out on a moving job! I need to stay away from that stuff it's never appreciated and movers also need to eat.

11. Sep 15, 2018 at 1:41 PM
    ej_

Member:

Yep sounds good when the Goodyears are finished i'll replace them with those. I'm fine with the clearance and tire size on the truck no need screw around with that. We'll be seeing snow shortly so if the Goodyears really suck in the snow i'll replace them immediately.

12. Sep 15, 2018 at 1:54 PM
    jgallo1

jgallo1 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Ca and MT
    Vehicle:
    1988 fj62, 2018 Tacoma
    Over the last few years, I went through the same questions. I purchased an access cab (best looking IMO), I had a first gen. access cab before. With a few more years, friends getting bigger, kids, big dogs, I just couldn't deal with the backseat. I actually wanted to try something different and went for a full size diesel, a plus in many ways but it has serious drawbacks.
    I just purchased a DBCB long bed Off-road, it has a locking Diff, and feels small on trails compared to the full size ha ha. I have not yet felt hindered by the length or the turning radius on trails. I do not use it as a rock-crawler. It has seen some steep, tight, rutted out 10k plus elevation in MT, and has not had any issue yet.

ej_[OP] likes this.
  13. Sep 15, 2018 at 2:16 PM
    ej_

Member:
    Yep it's all about what you're using the truck for not what hinders others for rock climbing and turning radius. Far as i'm concerned my Tacoma is a full size truck and you can really tell with the 6 foot bed vs the 5' double cab bed. If my Tacoma was any longer/wider i would have serious clearance issues. Look what i have already done to it!!!..scratches everywhere and now a big ol dent. Regardless all of that I couldn't be happier!!! it's handled everything I have thrown at it so far

Riding Dirty likes this.
  14. Sep 15, 2018 at 2:22 PM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    Sounds like more time and thought needs to go into this decision.

My daughter was 2 when I bought my access cab. Everyone said I needed a dbl cab so I could carry the family. The whole family has been in the truck twice in the last 2 years. 2 other times I had people in the back which is more than my dbl cab dodge I had before for 7 years.

I love my tacoma. Except when I tow my trailer to the racetrack which is a few times a year. I bought the truck that works best 360 days a year. If I need to I can borrow or rent something else for the rare occasions when I need a bigger truck. Same goes for the family. We have a car that suits the family for 99% of the trips we need extra space.

Don’t get worked up trying to do everything with a vehicle unless you do it regularly.

Put yourself in the drivers seat when making a vehicle purchase by shopping well in advance of the date you intend to actually make the deal. I started researching a year in advance. When it came time to get serious I took another 2 months test driving and driving hours away to see other colours and options. I knew every typo in the brochures. I knew answers to questions my salesman didn’t. I had originally planned to order my truck. When it came time to make the deal the colour I chose happened to be the one on the lot and the exact truck I had test drive a few times. If I had to I would have waited a few months for my ordered truck to come in. The dealership made me a fantastic offer because they knew I was in no hurry and they knew I had been to at least 4 other dealers test driving and checking options and colours.

Good luck in whatever you choose.

ej_[OP] and Riding Dirty like this.
  15. Sep 15, 2018 at 2:31 PM
    ej_

Member:
    I agree 100% I should have spent 3 months in advance. I would have scored the tactical brown and saved myself $795 on the running boards that i didn't need nor want. It was either accept the truck or factory order. The Grey color is sort of growing on me but the $795 wasted for the running boards never will. I'll recoup some of it but it's looking like a $500 loss now.

16. Sep 15, 2018 at 2:37 PM
    Exracer2

Exracer2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colchester Ontario
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD Off-Road Alpine White ACLB
    BRO grille, KICKER speakers, Key amp, Hideaway sub
    I fought with my wife for years about researching well in advance. Her last purchase was a done deal until one day we test drive it and found something that she couldn’t live with. In the end she got a better vehicle for less and 3 years in she is formulating her needs for the next purchase. She now looks at everything. Things she wants. Things she didn’t think she wanted. Her eyes are pretty open now.

ej_[OP] likes this.
  17. Sep 15, 2018 at 3:10 PM
    ej_

Member:

Big money for these new vehicles now, every dollar and option needs to be carefully looked over. I still did exceptionally well for the challenges and time frame I was facing. I couldn't take the chance on a factory order and the Frontier's rear main seal giving out and I think it was a wise choice. We'll find out shortly because we are pulling that motor soon enough. You can never tell with these rear main's I had a Chevy C10 that leaked for years with a bad rear main, that's when i was a kid though this truck pays the bills. I can't screw around with a truck that could possibly be on death row. My guess is the Frontier's motor will be just fine after an engine rebuild this winter, then it will be sold in the spring or i'll keep it for a second truck.

18. Sep 20, 2018 at 12:30 PM
    oconnor

oconnor Where am I?

Member:
    Midwest
    Vehicle:
    '18 TRD Sport 4x4 AC 6MT/ '04 TJ Rubicon
    Access cab was a good choice. After trying to fold myself into the back of the double-cab in the showroom I went AC as well, glad I didn't sacrifice the extra bed length.

jmneill and ej_[OP] like this.
  19. Sep 20, 2018 at 12:39 PM
    Oldie2007

Oldie2007 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kurt
    Lockhart, TX
    Vehicle:
    2007 Impulse Red Pearl DCSB SR5 PreRunner. 2020 RAV4Hybrid Limited
    A little something every chance we get.
    I'll add ONLY for the doors. If you go to the store, and want to put groceries in the back, you will hate the access cab - because you block the cart from your reach! I had a Ford with that, and I learned to park way away, and walk further. A small thing, but annoying nonetheless.

rosebud likes this.
  20. Sep 20, 2018 at 1:45 PM
    ej_

Member:
    You can't work a truck with a 5' bed that's a joke! My truck is a work truck and having that 6' bed is a necessity. Those little seats in the dbl cab are like baby seats and it pisses me off i had jump through hoops obtain my truck. If they had these TRD access models available in SoCal more people would buy them. I knew i made the right choice the moment i loaded up the bed, my only complaint I wish Toyota had installed a bench seat in the back or at least had that as an option.

Products Discussed in

To Top