1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Im confused...

Discussion in 'Towing' started by Chachie, Jan 6, 2010.

1. Jan 6, 2010 at 4:56 PM
    Chachie

Chachie [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    '06 TRD OR, 4x4, Auto, 6" Fabtech, 35's
    Locker mod, Anytime fog mod, always 400w mod.
    So i have been doing research on hitches and all the stuff i would need to make my truck tow ready. So i was looking at wiring harnesses online and was just about to press the order button but had to run outside real quick to grab my wallet. I figured i would crawl under my truck and find where it plugs into. So i crawl under and start looking and low and behold there is a 7 pin plug zip tied up to a wiring harness. So now im confused...because my truck has no hitch on it but it is wired for a 7 pin and a brake controller. Im not complaining im just wondering if anybody has any ideas why.

2. Jan 6, 2010 at 4:58 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    DC or New Jersey - Depends on the day....
    Vehicle:
    08 Red/Graphite and Satin Black
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    They run wiring for LOTS of stuff in all the bodies and then they don't completely install all the parts for the system.

It's a bitch and a half t go back and run the wiring after the car is assembled...so they put it in and then as the car gets routed along they add the rest of the parts for the right options.

3. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:00 PM
    Chachie

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    But it doesnt look like i have any other indications of a tow package. Anybody know what the other indicators are?

4. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:01 PM
    Incognito

Incognito μολὼν λαβέ

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    See Build thread
    So you wouldn't need a wiring harness and all you'd need to get is a hitch?

5. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:07 PM
    Chachie

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    Exactly. But everything I have read says you either have all or nothing.

6. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:13 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
  7. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:22 PM
    Taco-NB

Taco-NB MMMMM Taco's

Member:
    New Brunswick
    Vehicle:
    '09 4X4 SR5 Access Cab V6 - Black Sand Pearl
    Sweat!! What year is your Taco? And where was the plug located?

Cheers.

8. Jan 6, 2010 at 5:42 PM
    Chachie

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    It's a 2006 and I found it like behind the middle of the bumper zip tied to the tail light harness.

9. Jan 7, 2010 at 11:55 AM
    Chachie

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    anybody have any ideas for other indicators?

10. Jan 7, 2010 at 12:44 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    Inside: Tint, Wet Okole 1/2 Piped Red/Black Covers, Black Weathertech Digital Fit Mats, URD Short Throw w/ TWM Weighted Knob, USA Spec iPod adapter. Outside: 4300K Retro w/ Angel Eyes and Red Shrouds, 5000K Blazer Fog Light Retrofit, Debadge, Bed Locking Handle, Satin Black Rims Performance: TRD/Steigmeier Blower w/ 2.7 Pulley. 668 Injectors and 320 LPH AEM Fuel pump. URD UCON and 7th Injector. DTLT Headers, URD Y-Pipe, Wicked Flow Muffler. Suspension: Both: OME Shocks Front: 886X's and TC UCAs Rear: Dakars Armor: Relentless Front Bumper Relentless High Clearance Rear w/ Tire/Rotopax Swing Out Relentless Front, Mid, and TCase skids BAMF Diff Skid Recovery and Spares: Fullsize Spare Tire 2x2 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Rotopax 1x1 gal Water Rotopax Warn 9.5XP-S Winch Hi-Lift Extreme 60" Ironman Off-Road Recovery Kit
    Trans Cooler on the autos, Oil cooler, and hitch with harness are the parts I think.

My tow package equipped '08 had the plug mounted under the bumper-not just zip tied up outta the way. If you don't have a reciever already...I'm guessing you don't have the tow package-Just the wiring harness.

11. Jan 7, 2010 at 12:59 PM
    Chachie

Member:
    First Name:
    Justin
    Nor Cal
    Vehicle:
    But I have the trans cooler. Lol

12. Jan 7, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    You have any of the paperwork for the truck??

13. Jan 7, 2010 at 1:02 PM
    OU812

OU812 ban the term murdered out

Member:
    First Name:
    danusa
    Kilroy was here
    Vehicle:
    13 DblCab LB 4X4
    Nothing yet, brand new!
    Did you buy this used? Look for marks where the hitch mounts to the frame. Someone may have removed the hitch.

14. Jan 7, 2010 at 1:05 PM
    Brunes

Brunes abides.

Member:
    First Name:
    Rotorhead
    Vehicle:
    Or take it to a nearby dealer and have them run the VIN they should be able to tell you all about the truck.

To Top