1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm getting a company car

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by cheehab, Apr 1, 2010.

1. Apr 1, 2010 at 7:16 PM
    cheehab

cheehab [OP] I bleed Black and Gold

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Winter Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tundra TRD Pro CrewMax
    So I just got a new job that offers a company car (Jeep Liberty). Seems like perfect timing since I've got 102K on my '05 Tacoma. I'm pretty psyched to no longer use the Tacoma as my DD and start with mods that I deemed impractical for a daily driver. My big question now is about insurance. The Tacoma is paid off and I don't really plan on putting a ton of miles on it anytime soon, so I'm pretty sure I'm just going down to basic liability insurance on it. Anyone have any advice?

2. Apr 1, 2010 at 7:18 PM
    Chris(NJ)

Chris(NJ) Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris
    Usually in Central Jersey
    Vehicle:
    08 Indigo 4x4 DC OR
    Debadged, GC Mesh Grill, Yellow Fogs, Color Matched Headlights w/ Retros, Diff Breather Mod; mickey thompson classic IIs, 5100s, toytec springs, Dakar Leaf pack, ss brake lines, Lots more...just check the build page.
    Personally, I'd leave it at full coverage. But thats just me. You'll be saving money on gas now (co. pays that I'm assuming) so you're already ahead of the game imo.

3. Apr 1, 2010 at 7:21 PM
    hendooman

hendooman The Stroker Ace

Member:
    First Name:
    Jeff
    KC
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD PRO 4Runner
    full coverage, you can get a cheaper rate if you tell them the miles are only going to be 5000 a year or so. Think of it this way, if you drop to liability only, and one weekend you are out cruising the taco. You go to the ski resort or something, you come out it is gone, stolen. You got no more taco because you only have liability. It is worth the few extra bucks if you can afford it....

4. Apr 1, 2010 at 7:22 PM
    Sforza

Sforza The Forcer

Member:
    First Name:
    Rich
    Houston, Texas
    Vehicle:
    08 PreRunner SRD V6
    ARE Camper
    I'd just get liability. Go with the odds. You are not likely to get into an accident, but you are for sure going to be paying for insurance every month. The insurance companies have a lot of information and some real smart fellers who figure out the odds and make sure that the insurance company come out ahead on the deal.

It is just like the extended warrenty. They figure out the odds and then price it so that the dealership comes out ahead. That saves you having to do all the calculations. They have already figured it out for you, which is why they are so eager to sell it to you.

5. Apr 1, 2010 at 7:25 PM
    ktmrider

ktmrider Senior Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    07 DCLB 4x4 Sport S/C
    Junk
    my sister has a jeep liberty its a zippy car and it feels like it has a rake of a drag strip car. Easy to drive good gas mileage easy to park

6. Apr 1, 2010 at 7:32 PM
    cheehab

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Winter Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    I know, that's the same thought I had. I'm psyched on one hand because it will cut down on the miles on the Toyota, but definitely did feel my new boss out to see if they would pay for me to use my Tacoma. It'll be cool to have a new car that someone else is covering 100% of the costs on. And I have to turn it back into them when it hits 65,000 miles. To keep her from commandeering my Tacoma, I did have to promise my girlfriend that we'd get her any car she wanted. We were looking at 4Runner Trails earlier today.

7. Apr 1, 2010 at 8:29 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    back to bone stock.
    leave the coverage complete. but do tell the insurance company that you now have a work car, and will (guess here) do less than 5000k per year..your premium will drop.

welcome to the club. company cars and gas rock.

8. Apr 1, 2010 at 8:30 PM
    aficianado

aficianado Well-Known Member

Member:
    bay area, california
    Vehicle:
    2006 access cab. 4x4, TRD-OR
    back to bone stock.
    oh, congrats on the new job!!

9. Apr 2, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    cheehab

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Winter Park, CO
    Vehicle:
    Thanks I'm excited about it. Solid jobs are pretty hard to come by in the area I'm living, so I'm excited to be able to stay where I am and get the car, full bennies etc.

To Top