1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm Getting A Puppy! What do I need?

Discussion in 'Off-Topic Discussion' started by Blu08Taco, Dec 24, 2008.

1. Dec 24, 2008 at 5:51 PM
    Blu08Taco

Blu08Taco [OP] Taco™

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    I'm getting a puppy in a about a week and want to make sure I have everything covered. :) What are some of the essentials? From my research, here is what I have gathered.

Kennel/Crate (Check)
    Food/Water Bowls
    Bed (blanket in the kennel?)
    Pet Insurance
    Food/treats/chew
    Brush
    Collar/leash/id tags/microchip
    Toys
    Books on training
    Clean up supplies for spills

Anything i'm missing? Also, what is good puppy food?

Oh yeah, how do most of you carry your dogs in your truck? I have a double cab. Thanks :)

2. Dec 24, 2008 at 5:55 PM
    Khaos

Khaos Big Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Bryant
    Jacksonville, Florida
    Vehicle:
    2011 DC TRD SPORT Prerunner
    3” spacer lift, 285/75/17 KO2, Spidertrax 1.25” spacers
    What kind of puppy? Mine usually rode in the back seat with the seats folded down and blanket over 'em.

3. Dec 24, 2008 at 6:02 PM
    Blu08Taco

Blu08Taco [OP] Taco™

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    I believe she is a Lab. I'm getting her from the local humane society. I was thinking the back seat is probably the best option. I've also seen some people put them in the bed in a cage so I dunno. Do they lick your ears when you drive?:confused:

4. Dec 24, 2008 at 6:04 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Way to go on the new puppy.

Find a GOOD vet, I start them with puppy chow for a year, also the puppy treats (milk bone). Get those toys that they can chew the grap out of. Especially when the adult teeth start coming in, nyla bone I think they are called, not sure of the spelling.
    Keep a coooooool :cool: head, they will chew on things, and they will do their business in places you won't like.

We crate train to house break, when they run the house we keep an eye out, when they sniff around take them to the door. And do that often, results worked for us.

At night, we used a ticking clock so they won't cry, this go around we got two so no big deal. A note: when you put them up for the night, anything you have in the crate, they will chew up,blankets, soft toys etc.

Good luck:)

5. Dec 24, 2008 at 6:09 PM
    TheMaster

TheMaster Born to Ride

Member:
    First Name:
    Chicky Baby
    NY
    Vehicle:
    2007 DC TRD Sport
    Bug shield, window visors, skid plate, rust proofing, tonneau cover, paint & upholstery protection, side step bars, navigation system.
    Get a bottle of Bitter Apple.

6. Dec 24, 2008 at 6:17 PM
    Blu08Taco

Blu08Taco [OP] Taco™

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    The puppy is 10 weeks old. I myself have never owned a puppy before, but have owned kittens and cats. I've done my research, and this is a decision 2+ years in the making. I am self employed and work out of the house/studio, so I'm home basically all the time. I got a truck for business/doggy. I've researched the problems with certain breeds such as hip dysplacia *sp, etc. This is certantly NOT a spur of the moment "lets get a puppy" type of thing. I fully understand that this is a 10-20 year commitment. I'm pretty thorough and research everything a lot before I dive into it. (The Taco was a product of that ;-) ) Thank you for your help, and making sure I know what im getting into. :)

I have a couple of good vets in mind. I heard that a toy called a Kong is good.? Thank you for the tips! :)

7. Dec 24, 2008 at 6:19 PM
    Blu08Taco

Blu08Taco [OP] Taco™

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    That's to spray on stuff you don't want them to chew, right?

8. Dec 24, 2008 at 6:19 PM
    longbow

longbow I see you now..................

Member:
    First Name:
    Bill
    Indiana
    Vehicle:
    05 Tacoma Silver Mica TRD 4 Door
    Toy-tec Coil over lift, Eibach 700 lb springs, Sway bar relocate, Total Chaos UCA's, Moto metal wheels, BFG mudterrians, HID, custom 3 piece grill, Highlift jack w/custom mount, Highlift jack cover, bed matt, de-badged 100%, storage box lock mod, using defrost w/o AC mod, short antenna mod, horn re-locate, Tire Gate flat spare tire mount, engine cover painted, bed light (1) mod, wreck bar carrier, Blue Sea 5026 fuse block, center console outlet, flash light mod, Blue Sea inline fuse, Shrockworks sliders, All-Pro front bumper, Piaa 510 driving lights, Warn shackles front, Kennesaw rear bumper, "Tag Boltz" plate lights, Warn shackles rear, Warn M8000 winch, devil horns, BHLM, weathech liners front and rear.....T.W. sticker of course. Custom Sock bed decal for Michele
    Not going to slam the product, but our Rot licked it like it was water, and our Boston male thinks it's a treat.

I ended up using hot sauce, Tabasco or Texas Pete (watered down) but waited until they were older. Last time I used the Chipotie type, big mistake, he liked it to, just made his tongue go faster. :eek:

9. Dec 24, 2008 at 6:23 PM
    Gadget@URD

Gadget@URD Well-Known Member Vendor

Member:
    Southern Maryland USA
    Vehicle:
    URD Supercharged XRunner
    Thank you!!!

I am very active in the local animal rescue groups and I have 3 foster dogs in my home now in addition to the 4 I have adopted myself.

When you kennel the dog do not put anything in the crate with him. No food, no water, no toys, no blanket and so on.

The last thing you want to do is to convert the separation anxiety into chewing. NOTHING they can put in their mouth when you leave ever. If you do they will lean to chew when they get upset and one day you won't have a couch when you come home.

Feed him on a strict schedule and separate playing outside with doing his business outside. They need to learn to do their business right away and not when they are done playing. So, take him out and encourage him to do his business right away and once he does praise him and bring him inside right away. Then about 15 minutes later take him out and play with him.

Find a good trainer in your area and get trained. The dog is already a dog, the owner is the one needing training...

Gadget

10. Dec 24, 2008 at 6:31 PM
    05yota

05yota Well-Known Member

Member:
    Beaufort SC
    Vehicle:
    05 Dbl Cab Long Bed
    Alpine IVA-W205 Double din TV, 10in Memphis shallow mount sub, Rockford Amp, 23in Akuza Bounce Rims!!!
    I have an american bulldog pup who just turned a yr old he is pretty good in the truck he doesnt try to get up front until i stop at a red light then he just wants to see the view from the front. good choice on goin to the humane society thats where i got my dog from... like stated in the other post be patient the pup is gonna chew on things just dont leave stuff thats really important out for him/her to chew and youll be ok... oh yeah and i have a kong for my dog and the only time he uses it is when we put a treat in it or when hes really good well give it to him with Peanut butter in it..

11. Dec 24, 2008 at 6:36 PM
    JimmyCrackCorn

JimmyCrackCorn Atlanta Falcons

Member:
    Cumming, GA (N. Atlanta Area)
    Vehicle:
    2008 Black PreRunner TRD Sport
    Aero Kit, 3" Lift, 18% All Around Tint, 50% Windshield Tint, MO 957's (Polished), 285/65/18 Terra Grappler's
    Patience...and a lot of it. Oh, and time to spend with the little rascal. If you can spend a little time each day doing "active" things with your dog, (throwing tennis ball, running him, letting him play with another dog, etc.), he won't act out as much for attention. I've had many dogs over the years. Labs are some of the best. I currently have two AKC registered Labs. A Black one (Shadow), and a Chocolate one (Hershey).

12. Dec 24, 2008 at 6:45 PM
    hoosiertaco

hoosiertaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great advice here from everyone! I will just add that Science Diet dog food is all I will feed. I have used every different stage from puppy to senior. I have raised 3 litters of Weimaraners. Three of the pups are still in the family. Very healthy and they look great. Years ago, Science Diet saved the life of my best friend! I swear by it!

Side note....I had a co-worker whose mother raised champion Bulldogs. She used Pedigree puppy for the $5000 pups, but recommended Science diet at 1 year old and up.

Whatever you go with, stay with it unless recommended to change by a good vet.

13. Dec 24, 2008 at 6:47 PM
    Blu08Taco

Blu08Taco [OP] Taco™

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    My neigborhood is great for walking dogs, as that's all i see people doing. There is also a school down the street that people play fetch and what not. Also, there is a park a mile or so away with a fenced dog park and trails.

Haha. Definently will have pictures up! This is going to be a much welcomed change in my life. Thanks again.

I'm guessing the kong is more of a treat type toy?

10-4. Thank you for the advice. I'm also very interested in becoming involved in the local humane society.

14. Dec 24, 2008 at 7:12 PM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    Yay for rescue dogs! As if your head isn't swimming already from the good advice here, when he does his business in the right place, come up with a word that you say as he is doing it over time, he will learn to go on command! With my Eddie, all I had to say was (don't laugh) "go weedle weedle" and he would pee! Just don't say it in the house! LOL!

As for the food, I've done alot of research on ingredients of dogfood and some of it will turn your stomach! Avoid anything with corn in it, also avoid "animal digest"--it is what it sounds like (and even very high-end dogfood will use it!). I'm not sure on puppies, but in adult dogs you need at least 26% (or more) protein (animal protein is best), and 14% fat (at least) in terms of the "Guaranteed Analysis" on the bag. I assume puppy food will be different though. I feed my adult dog Diamond Naturals Chicken and Rice, but I know that they have a puppy food as well. Good luck and have fun!

15. Dec 24, 2008 at 7:14 PM
    Charli

Charli Stealer of Souls

Member:
    First Name:
    Chuck?
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    '06 Black Sand 4X4 SR5 TRD Sport V6 Access Ca
    Towing pkg with Mossberg hitch cover, Toyota tube steps, 3" Toytec lift and TSB, 1" diff drop, Tacoma World sticker, sockmonkey decals
    You can also check out local breed rescues--they often are in need of help such as fosters, volunteers, etc. Just an fyi!

16. Dec 24, 2008 at 7:47 PM
    GreySky72

GreySky72 Lemon

Member:
    Gilbert, Az
    Vehicle:
    08, TRD Sport, 4x4
    Congratulations! Im so jealous of you! I wish I was getting a dog! Good advice from everyone I see, I'd like to add my two cents in too hahaha. I worked at a pet food/supply store this summer and learned alot about toys, chew treats and food.

Kong toys are awesome, They are rubber so not a treat but you can fill them with treats and it will keep them occupied for awhile. Also toys called Tuffy Toys are great, super durable and really cute! Also Nylabones make good stuff.

Definately make sure to find out what they've been feeding him/her as you want to ween him off gradually to a new food or else you will most likely pay for it later.. someone mentioned cleaning supplies haha they were right!

The Food that I found people were most happy with and their dogs did the best with was a food called Natural Balance. Its one of the top foods in the country, reasonably priced and doesnt' have any of the junk dogs dont need like the corn, soy, wheat and all the other fillers. I highly recommend this food! I have seen the dogs and talked to the customers that fed their dogs Natural Balance and I have been convinced its one of the best. For your puppy I would recommend the Ultra Premium formula. If you can get away with it I would just feed the dry food, dogs get spoiled and fussy when you start adding in wet food.

Chew treats, I would avoid rawhides, they can be harmful when swallowed as they can cause problems with the digestive system, if you do give them to your dog, make sure your around and when you leave pick it up so they can't eat it behind your back. I would give bully sticks, they come in different lengths, tend to last longer than rawhides and are safer when ingested. Pigs ears work to but they dont last long. Make sure the treats you feed dont have the wheat, corn, soy, Propylene Glycol etc in them they can cause alergies.

The bitter apple, its a hit or miss with that stuff, some dogs avoid it at all costs and some think its the greatest thing invented hahaha

Anyways thats my two cents hope it helps and good luck! hope to see pictures soon!

17. Dec 24, 2008 at 8:00 PM
    HighPlains

HighPlains Well-Known Member

Member:
    Great to hear you are getting a rescued dog. So many people are getting dogs from puppy mills when there are plenty of very good animals looking for a second chance. We got a rescued rat terrier five years ago. He was about 1 1/2 years old when we got him. We were told that for the first year of his life, he was chained with a very short chain to a post. The rescue people said he did not even know how to run when they took him in. He has been a great addition to our family. He rides with me all the time in my double cab. I only recently got the Tacoma but he has ridden with me in every vehicle I've owned. With the double cab and crew cab Silverado, he rides with his back feet on the rear seat, front feet on the center console. He likes the view.

18. Dec 24, 2008 at 8:38 PM
    Monkeysuncle

Monkeysuncle My Cat's breath Smells like Cat Food

Member:
    First Name:
    Kevin
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    99 Tacoma SR5 4x4 5 speed Manual Hubs
    Diff Breather,CB thingy,GPS,Cop Shocks,Cop Brakes, old Man Emu 881's Dakar Leaf Springs and Nitro sport shocks. Deck Plate mod
    I used the crate for a few months,...till she was trained to not eat my possesions and use the backyard. Went through puppy obedience training on a whim. It was cool. More for her to get her around other animals-people. (Socialization) She was perfect. Then I came home to a home I was renting and she had chewed a Sharpie and got the ink all over the bedrooms beige carpet and ate(chewed) 2 shotgun shells. Really. Vet said to watch for lead poision effects and replace the carpet. Charged me 75 bucks. Dog was fine.

19. Dec 25, 2008 at 10:36 AM
    concrete jedi

concrete jedi Well-Known Member

Member:
    Rochester N.Y
    Vehicle:
    06 Tacoma 4 door indigo blue
    Broken and scratched tailgate, cracked rear tail light lens, coffee stain in driver seat.
    Truer words have not been written.

20. Dec 25, 2008 at 11:02 AM
    Blu08Taco

Blu08Taco [OP] Taco™

Member:
    Florida
    Vehicle:
    08 TRD Sport
    Thank you all for the great advice! I'm anxious as hell and will post many pics as soon as I get her. :)

Products Discussed in

To Top