1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm headed SoCal --> Houston to help rebuild a school

Discussion in 'Texas' started by Mach375, Sep 4, 2017.

1. Sep 4, 2017 at 3:05 PM
    Mach375

Mach375 [OP] Habitual Violator of Wheeling Rule #2

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    Too much to list, but enough to get me in trouble. Repeatedly.
    A bit of a long read, but please take the time to do so!

Copied from my BookFace page (mostly)...

Hurricane Harvey came and went and did its thing while I was out exploring UT and CO. My only knowledge of it was a general awareness that there was a storm in TX. When I got back home, my wife encouraged me to read a friend's Facebook page to get myself caught up. That one friend's posts were all I needed to get completely caught up on everything that happened -- her personal narrative and own pictures could have easily been the full storm coverage on any national network news channel.

My friend lives in Friendswood, TX, located about halfway between Houston and the Gulf. While her house miraculously survived the storm with zero damage or flooding, the same cannot be said for her neighbors 50 yards away in any direction. She spent the days of the storm and the first few days after it passed looking after and caring for about 150 senior citizens evacuated from a nearby hospital -- spending about 22+ hours each day making sure they were comfortable and calm. Her daughters' school suffered about two feet of flood damage, with much of the materials lost and damaged, and the building requiring extensive repairs; once the waters receded enough, she has been there over 16 hours every day ripping out drywall and hauling destroyed materials out of the school (demo is NOT her thing).

I work in construction, and have all my own tools. I kept mulling over the idea of loading everything and heading to TX, but was hesitant due to obligations at home (I've been getting new clients calling me for paid work almost daily). Sure enough, everything started falling into place (a couple clients scheduled far out cancelled, other work being shorter than expected, even a couple songs randomly popping up on Pandora), until my answer was pretty damn obvious.

On September 20th, I will be heading to Friendswood to help rebuild my friend's school; any other places I can be put to work I will gladly jump in. I'll load all my tools into my truck, and go by myself. I expect to be back home October 8th.

I need your help.

I may need to borrow a cargo trailer, in case I have a lot of donations to pick up along the way. Do you have, or know anyone that has, a cargo trailer I can borrow for three weeks?
    Or perhaps you have a connection at a rental truck company (Ryder, Penske, etc) where I could "rent" a cargo truck at zero cost?
    I have a current CDL-A, if that matters.
    Or maybe you have a larger truck than my Tacoma, one that might handle this kind of trip a little better, that you would let me borrow?

I am willing to haul as many donated items as I can fit (pending trailer/truck acquisition). I am also willing to stop anywhere along Interstate 10 between Los Angeles and Houston in order to pick up donations.

Word has it that the most sought-after donations are NOT clothing, as much of that may end up in the Red Cross general "fund." Furniture, especially simple stuff -- think Ikea -- would be the most appreciated. However, I will not turn down anything you give me (unless you and I both know it's trash)!

While I'm gone, I'm sure my wife would love an occasional meal dropped off, or maybe a play date or two for the kids.

This is entirely my own idea, and I'm not affiliating myself with any organization. This whole trip is coming out of my already-thin pockets. While I'm not seeking sponsorship, I absolutely will NOT turn down any funds anyone is willing to give me to help defray my costs (lots of fuel!). After all, I'm having to turn away paying clients for three weeks in order to do this. I am not expecting nor asking to be paid for my work once in Friendswood.

And if you think I should start a GoFundMe drive...well, maybe. Or perhaps you could start one for me, if you've done them before?

Lastly, skip any hero talk. I'm just doing this because I should, and can, and it gives me a good excuse to get out of Hell/SoCal and do something I love that helps others, too. I'm not giving the worn-out "just doing my job," but in a way, this is all just routine.

The school's Amazon shopping list, and , if you wanted to donate.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

21314385_10154914745745893_4503501497350_3ca1060d90cff0bf6e5871e23de37a3e581750f4.jpg

21369482_10154917317135893_8073767672305_e7d037a4346c33a4a0d3555a80cd4dc0a168d8b8.jpg

[​IMG]

2. Sep 4, 2017 at 3:09 PM
    TacomaGuy23

TacomaGuy23 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Fullerton, California
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tacoma Double Cab Prerunner
    Dirt King Long Travel, URD Supercharged
    Bless you and what you're doing. People like you give me hope

I married my tacoma likes this.
  3. Sep 4, 2017 at 4:22 PM
    Mach375

Member:
    First Name:
    Sathington "Alowicious Devadander Abercrombie" Willoughby (but you can call me Mud)
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    And for you space geeks...

Remember the ESA astronaut who almost drowned in space? "Fish bowl guy"?
    It's his family.

4. Sep 4, 2017 at 9:51 PM
    Mach375

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    If @tcBob Is okay with it...

My neighbor . Thanks in advance!

5. Sep 4, 2017 at 10:11 PM
    ramonortiz55

ramonortiz55 Not A Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ramon
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCSB Offroad 4x4
    stock
    subd for potential beer meet

Mach375[OP] likes this.
  6. Sep 5, 2017 at 3:16 AM
    LostHusker

LostHusker Just one day at a time

Member:
    First Name:
    Mark
    South, TX
    Vehicle:
    2021 F150, 2015 T4R
    Hope all goes well with your trip and many will be happy to have your help in this time. I volunteered over the weekend to go help out the Rockport and a couple of smaller towns to help with IT support so that other teams can come down after the initial trip. Though somewhat supported through work all gas and food is on the volunteer so understand your situation. Like @ramonortiz55 stated, maybe when your here we can meet up for drink. :thumbsup:

7. Sep 5, 2017 at 4:33 AM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Wow, just wow..... you rock!!!

I'm just outside of Houston. Let me know if you need anything while down here and I can see if I'm able to assist ( supplies, lay of the land, food, etc.)

Last edited: Sep 5, 2017
  8. Sep 5, 2017 at 8:18 AM
    Mach375

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    My friend's words this morning...

Article: Houston Does Not Need Your Stuff

Sorry for the f-bomb, but can I get an A-fu*king-men? This article one hundred times over.. we don't need left over clothes you are never going to wear in a million years. We don't need diapers or formula that we need a warehouse and volunteers to staff and pass out at specific days and hours. We don't need old and broken toys your kids don't want anymore. We need bodies that can be there in person to help tear down and re-build. If you can't be here in person, we will take what we can get, but monetary donations are best.. please read the article and look at the links I have added [edited to remove her GoFundMe page......I feel I'm already pushing my luck on TW by putting mine up]. One is for money, one is for specified supplies the teachers have requested.
    Thank you! [​IMG][​IMG]❤️

Teachers' List of Supplies Needed

9. Sep 5, 2017 at 11:34 AM
    TexasWhiteIce

TexasWhiteIce Well-Known Member

Member:
    Texas
    Vehicle:
    2022 White DCLB SR5 - Blackout
    Which school in friendsood is it?

10. Sep 5, 2017 at 2:30 PM
    Mach375

Member:
    First Name:
    Vehicle:
    '11 DCLB 4x4 TRD Sport
    The Galloway School

11. Sep 7, 2017 at 7:02 AM
    americantacoma2014

americantacoma2014 Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2014 White Tacoma Prerunner SR5 Access Cab, 2007 white Tundra Texas Edition Crew Max
    33 inch BF Goodrich A/T Tires 16 inch American Outlaw Rims Westin Eseries bull bar 20 inch Niight led light bar 34 Inch BF Goodrich A/T Tires Spyder Black Projector Headlights Blistein Leveling Kit Sony Bluetooth Audio System Niight led cube rear lights Tubular Running Boards Custom Spray Bed Liner
    I just wanna say thanks for coming down to help out. We definitely need it.

Products Discussed in

To Top