1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm Livid right now..... Warning Rant incoming lol

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by Toy Coma, Nov 8, 2018.

1. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:08 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Hell, my '15 has frozen cams. But to have to torch everything without even trying...that's where the shadiness begins.

MattCowsmasher likes this.
  2. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:09 AM
    Toy Coma

Toy Coma [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Dallas TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Coil over lift, SPC UCA, Wheelers AAL & Bump stops Relentless fab rear bumper, AVID Sliders, Statoshi Grille Mod, Morimoto LED fogs, Ebay Headlights W/Halos Core Short Throw Shifter, mesojdm Ultimate LED pods. Cali raised ditch light brackets 17" SCS Ray 10 brushed Copper Wrapped in 295/75/17 General Grabbers Wilco prerunner style Tire gate ATH off road front bumper
    He sent me a PM... my sister lives in Leander.. which is not far at all..

3. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:11 AM
    MattCowsmasher

MattCowsmasher ( -_・)ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘

Member:
    Temple, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 sporty dcsb 4wd
    Lifted, armored, lumenz w/ switches, positraked, long legged, big tars, debadged with a hood skewp
    Ok good he is the only person I let work on my truck for things Im unable to.

Texoma likes this.
  4. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:12 AM
    coopcooper

coopcooper certified youtube mechanic

Member:
    alberta canada
    Vehicle:
    black on black on black 05 trd off road
    stickers and sticker accessory's
    2nd gen lcas always get fucked. shit design from Toyota. your lucky they quoted out new shit instead of breaking both cam bolts then telling you after the fact.

5. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:12 AM
    scocar

scocar hypotenoper

Member:
    And you get extra points for mashing up the obscure Next Gen reference with marital aids....:thumbsup:

TacoRated and 96carboard[QUOTED] like this.
  6. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:13 AM
    eon_blue

eon_blue Most Improved Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Ryan
    Vehicle:
    '04 TRD 3.4l 4x4 5sp manual Xtraca & '96 4runner 4x4 5spd manual
    My brother used to live in Torrance too and escaped up to Oregon last summer for the same reason, lol. My wife and I will hopefully be doing that ourselves in the next year or two.

Anyway back on topic... @TRDBishop depending on where you're located, you might be able to post up in the regional forums on Tacomaworld and see if someone local to you has a driveway or garage that you could use to work on your rig. A lot of really cool people on this forum that like to help one another out

Toy Coma[OP] likes this.
  7. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:14 AM
    Toy Coma

Member:
    Dallas TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4
    Icon Coil over lift, SPC UCA, Wheelers AAL & Bump stops Relentless fab rear bumper, AVID Sliders, Statoshi Grille Mod, Morimoto LED fogs, Ebay Headlights W/Halos Core Short Throw Shifter, mesojdm Ultimate LED pods. Cali raised ditch light brackets 17" SCS Ray 10 brushed Copper Wrapped in 295/75/17 General Grabbers Wilco prerunner style Tire gate ATH off road front bumper
    I understand the logistics of everything... it wasnt just the cam bolts... it was EVERY bolt.. they said they had to replace... then when on the phone with toyota they told em 300 for each lca... am im sitting here going just put new bushing in ffs...

and I am willing to except the fact that shit included more labor, and once you get into something you can run into unexpected things... but not at the price they wanted.. THAT is my point... If im spending the money im dayum sure going to get what i want.. if i dont i spend it elsewhere... its simple man...

MattCowsmasher and Gunshot-6A like this.
  8. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:17 AM
    Toy Coma

Member:
    Dallas TX
    Vehicle:
    2006 TRD Sport 4x4
    Havent really thought about that TBH thanks.. Just moved back to TX after 10 yrs... Most of my old room mates and friends i try to get a hold of are either incarcerated or dead from fucking drugs...

9. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:18 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    For what it's worth, the Toyota whole LCAs are in fact ~$300/ea. The autozone discount brand can save you coin sure, and pressed bearings are easier. Pressing is more labor than a swap out though, and ties up other vehicles in the shop. On the plus side, they were gonna replace with OEM parts and not "swap the AZ ones in and bill you for the OEM ones" routine.

I get their business perspective, but it does suck when you are on the wrong end of it.

10. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:28 AM
    b_r_o

b_r_o Beef jerky time

Member:
    First Name:
    Alex
    WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 DCLB
    Keep us up-dated!

If the bolts come out easy I'm sure you'll let us know.

If the bolts really are frozen and have to be torched... you'll let us know right? ;)

Toy Coma[OP] likes this.
  11. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:30 AM
    Texoma

Texoma IG: Triple C Chop Shop

Member:
    First Name:
    Chris(Topher)
    Lago Vista, TX
    Vehicle:
    10 Taco 4x4
    A bunch a cool stickers, a bada ass MetalMiller Tx Longhorns grill emblem painted Hemi Orange, JBA long tube headers with o2 sims, Diff breather mod, Red LED interior lights, Fancy head unit that plays ipod n movies, Also DIY install factory stuff like, factory cruise control, factory intermittent wipers, OME nitro struts with 886x springs and toy tec top plate, JBA high caster UCA's for better alignmnet and dey beefier too, Old Man Emu Dakar leaf springs in da rear with the gear, U bolt flipper, Ivan Stewart TRD rims with 33" K Bro 2's, some bad ass weather tech floor liners so I don't muck up my interior, an ATO shackle flipper for mo travel in da rear wit the gear, also super shiny Fox 2.0 shocks back there too, all sorts of steal armor for bouncing off of the rocks like demello sliders, AP front skid, trans skid, n transfer skid, demello gas tank skid, and a tough as nails ARB bumper with warn 8k winch, I'm sure there's more
    Thanks Matt, I appreciate you. I'm sure Christa will have a batch of baked goods ready for you on Saturday.

12. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:33 AM
    tacomavan

tacomavan Well-Known Member

Member:
    Oregon
    interesting to hear about frozen cam bolts, didnt have any issue doing my install

13. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:39 AM
    MattCowsmasher

MattCowsmasher ( -_・)ᡕᠵ᠊ᡃ່࡚ࠢ࠘⸝່ࠡࠣ᠊߯᠆ࠣ࠘ᡁࠣ࠘᠊᠊ࠢ࠘

Member:
    Temple, Tx
    Vehicle:
    2015 sporty dcsb 4wd
    Lifted, armored, lumenz w/ switches, positraked, long legged, big tars, debadged with a hood skewp
    Anytime Chris, looking forward to it. I'll have JJs an shiners in hand.

Texoma[QUOTED] likes this.
  14. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:42 AM
    Wsteven

Wsteven Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2018 Tacoma TRD Pro
    Working on them
    4wheelparts "pretty predatory" on install pricing? they are malicious when I went to see them about the lift for my FJ Cruiser the parts were excellent in price .... then they wanted over $900 for the install so my total cost parts and all before tax would had been $1350 So I purchased the parts and went to work on the FJ and had it done just over 6 hours latter it only took that long because I did the front bumper then too.

2010-08-12_19-00-50_29.jpg
    DSC01004.jpg

15. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    Any Toyota truck that spent a winter in the salt belt has a good chance of having froze cam bolts.

16. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:43 AM
    TacoJohn4x4

TacoJohn4x4 Captain Save-A-Ho

Member:
    Central Valley
    Vehicle:
    2002 Tacoma DC 4x4
    This is true, time is money and sometimes your time is more valuable. Doing it yourself is always possible given you have all the right tools prepare, enough room, and extra tools/parts laying around if you run into issues. If this is your first time on this particular vehicle, expect delays. Also having another helping hand helps but since you are Doing It Yourself there usually is not another lending hand. Calculate how much you net in a 8hr working day and that will sometimes help you decide if you rather just pay someone else to do it and not worry about the extra cost or headaches you might run into. I'm sure most of you have worked on vehicles etc before and well know a 30min job can turn into 3hrs.

*edit: my English sucks this morning :)

Last edited: Nov 8, 2018
    Gunshot-6A[QUOTED] likes this.
  17. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:44 AM
    Voltron4x4

Voltron4x4 Well-Known Member

Member:
    Denver, Colorado
    Vehicle:
    2014 Black Trail Limo
    This and that...
    I got the same 800+ estimate at a well rated 4x4 shop too. Searched around some more and found $350 without some crazy alignment charge. Broke down the rate too, 110/hour. Highly rated on google and other searches here in CO. Would just find another spot for the alignment. Hopefully you find another shop if that is still your goal. Sucks when trust is broken which is an understatement for this instance.

Might do you some good to share these reviews wherever you can. Im sure it will work out in the end. Glad you got your truck back.

Edit: Looking like I'll be doing it myself now.

Gunshot-6A likes this.
  18. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:45 AM
    Gunshot-6A

Gunshot-6A Prime Beef

Member:
    First Name:
    Conner
    Everett, WA
    Vehicle:
    2015 TRD Offroad
    Or when a "45 mins tops" job takes 2 days :anonymous:

Voltron4x4 likes this.
  19. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:47 AM
    koditten

koditten Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kirk
    Central Michigan
    Vehicle:
    04 trd x-cab 4 x 4 3.4l
    Reserected from the dead.
    If you have never removed a LCA with froze cam bolts, be prepared for a struggle.

A sawzall with a high quality metal cutting blade will work good. A thin disc on an angle grinder works best.

I would never use a torch. Just my opinion. Too much to catch fire.

20. Nov 8, 2018 at 10:47 AM
    96carboard

96carboard Well-Known Member

Member:
    The problem comes in when its someone who charges a ludicrous per-hour rate who takes 2 days to do the job. At least if you're doing it yourself, you know its not going to bankrupt you.

Gunshot-6A[QUOTED] likes this.

Products Discussed in

To Top