1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm new, am looking at a 4cyl Tacoma but have some questions...

Discussion in '4 Cylinder' started by Vrbas, May 5, 2010.

1. May 5, 2010 at 11:47 AM
    Vrbas

Vrbas [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    Hi all. Pardon my noobishness. Right now I am borrowing my dad's 2007 Toyota Access Cab 4cyl Auto (2wd). I'll need one of my own when i come back for grad school and i'm really enjoying his so i'd like to look into my own.

I have a few questions and would appreciate it if everyone could chime in to the best of their knowledge/experience.

Do I really need 4x4?
    I love the added benefit of having it if i were to ever need it, but the most i'll be doing is light offroading on trails if anything. I just like the idea of being able to go virtually anywhere with 4 wheels at my disposal.

Is there any way to lower the 4x4?
    This may sound like the weirdest question, but bear with me. I love the profile my dad's truck sits on now (that of the 2wd base access). The tires are a smidge smaller than i'd like, but the ride height itself is perfect. I notice that on the 4x4 it has somewhat of a lift to it... that to me is a little high. Could i lower it or would it be a bad idea?

Does a 2x2 get better gas mileage than a 4x4?
    Gas mileage is one of the primary factors in getting this car. I want a utility vehicle that will last long and gets decent to good gas mileage. I have come to find that Toyota's can last a lifetime if treated well and that's attractive to me. So is the high MPG ratings. However, which gets better mileage? I will be driving around in 2x4 most of the time for your information.

2. May 5, 2010 at 11:54 AM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Welcome to TW. Only you can answer the first question, I can't answer the second question, but 4x4s do get a few mpgs less than 4x2s. My sig shows my average gas mileage for a 2.7 5 spd 4x4 access cab.

3. May 5, 2010 at 11:57 AM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    Why?

4. May 5, 2010 at 12:00 PM
    NAAC3TACO

NAAC3TACO Middle aged member

Member:
    Just east of crazy, NV
    Vehicle:
    2014 SR5 DCLB 4x4
    Color matched door handles, Weathertech floor liners, bed mat, Durafit seat covers, tailgate clamp, 2016 TRD Sport 17" wheels with Yokohama Geolander AT tires , Toyota exhaust tip, Toyota/Yakima bike rail mount, Toyota wheel locks, Toyota hitch cover, Redline hood struts, unifilter on air pump.
    Weight and gearing are the main culprits. 4x4 adds several hundred pounds to the vehicle and they come with lower gearing.

5. May 5, 2010 at 12:01 PM
    Blackshirts

Blackshirts Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    TX
    Vehicle:
    09 PreRunner-Totaled. 2016 SR5 Blue DC
    Stuff
    Welcome to TW

:wave:

1) Depends on how you want to use your truck. If you live in a place that you will need it then get it. But like me I dont need it and wouldnt use it.

2) There are ways to lower it an inch or two and it may cost a little more.

3) I agree with Nacc3taco

6. May 5, 2010 at 12:07 PM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    How capable are the base 2x4 offroad? I'm not going to be climbing mountains or driving through rivers, but just trailing and what not.

7. May 5, 2010 at 12:23 PM
    saltwater taco

saltwater taco Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brandon
    Telluride, CO
    Vehicle:
    2001 3.4 5spd 4x4 TRD
    softopper, sleeping platform
    I'm not sure about the base model but I have a prerunner, non-trd and it suprises the hell out of me. I've been places I wouldn't have guessed I could go. If ground clearance isn't an issue on ur trails then the base model should be fine.

8. May 5, 2010 at 12:25 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    The BASE can drive on dirt roads but nothing special. With the prerunner you get a lift (which you can lower a little) and you get the look of a truck with the fender flares, "offroad" minded suspension but you sacrific mileage due to a less aero truck.

Best mileage 2wd base, medium mileage with offroad capability prerunner, least gas mileage best offroad capabilities go with a 4x4

9. May 5, 2010 at 12:33 PM
    Kelson

Kelson Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Kelson
    Honolulu, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    08 5-Lug Reg. Cab SR5
    SR5 Exterior/Interior (Color matched Front Bumper, Chrome Grille Surround and Chrome Rear Bumper/Silver Scoshe Dash Kit, A/C Bezel, A/C Vent Surround) LED license plate and white interior lights, Wet Okole Seat Covers, iPad in-Dash, JL CL-RLC, JL 13TW5 sub, JL 500/1 Slash V1 amp, JL XR 6.5 Components, Rockford Fosgate 6X9s in Boxes Front XRunner Coils, DJM Control Arms and Rear 4X4 Leafs, Custom 2" Angled Streetacos.com Blocks Front XR Bilstien Struts and Rear XR Bilstien Shocks, CravenSpeen Antennae, RX-8 Rims w/ Fronts:235/40-R18 Sumitomo HTR Rears:245/40-R18 Goodyear Eagle GT, 35% Tint front windows, OEM Sliding Privacy Glass w/ 5% Ceramic Tint, Flowmaster Super 44 dumped before the axle, URD Short Throw Shifter, Door Sill Protectors, Door Edge Guards, OEM Sport Pedals,The Retrofit Source Morimoto Mini D2S Stage III 35W 5K HID Headlights, OEM Fog Lights w/ piss yellow bulbs, OEM Cruise Control, Porsche 944 Bucket Seats, BeefedTaco Skid Plate, Whale
    x2 the stock 5 lug sits pretty high, and you can put a nice set of tires on it and it'll sit a bit lower than PreRunner height.

4X4 is good to have but the extra weight and parasitic drag on the drivetrain of the Transfer case and other 4x4 components leads to slightly less mileage. also the fact that the PreRunners and 4x4 have larger tires and a pretty high final gear ratio

10. May 5, 2010 at 1:01 PM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    so you think the 2x4 would do fine for mild to medium offroad conditions? I know tires and whatnot come into play depending on the terrain and all, but i'm curious as to how the suspension itself and the limitation of 2wheels affects it's ability offroad.

11. May 5, 2010 at 1:21 PM
    gtrotter

gtrotter Well-Known Member

Member:
    Interlake, Indiana
    Vehicle:
    2009 Regular cab 4x4, ARB's, 4.88's, bumpers, 2017 DCSB SR5 stock,2008 Reg. Cab 4x4
    locker,mud tires, lifted, toolbox
    You can always put a locker in the rear. IMO if you routinely get off the beaten path, to the point of being hard on the truck, get a 4x4. If you are just heading down an easy dirt path, stick with the 2wd.

12. May 5, 2010 at 1:27 PM
    JDCPA

JDCPA Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jim
    SW FL
    Vehicle:
    09 5 Lug Access Cab SR5
    Curt Hitch and etrailer.com wiring harness.
    The new 5 lugger has an electronic limited slip differential. I've used my 5 lug Acces Cab with auto transmission to pull my Carolina Skiff out of some canals using sand ramps. It is not the same as a full time limted slip differential but it gets you out when you're stuck.

13. May 5, 2010 at 2:55 PM
    08pretaco

08pretaco Well-Known Member

Member:
    az
    Vehicle:
    2014 Tundra 4x4 CM 5.7L SR5
    @ADSracingshocks - F 3 point ohh / R 2.5 - w/clickers @camburgracing - uniball UCA @rigidindustries - 40" amber/white split, Dually XL, D2 @coopertires - 35/12.5/17 STT MAXX @bayareametalfab - low pro bed rack @toyotausa - 17" rock warrior @sdhqoffroad - rock sliders, a-pillar @hondogarage / @apple / @gaiagps / @dualgps- navigation @wheelersoffroadinc - superbumps
    Check out nesleharas (spelling way the hell off) he has a sick base 2wd lifted with tires that he is soon gonna lock in the rear..he has a nice setup

14. May 5, 2010 at 5:16 PM
    SimiGuy

SimiGuy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Simi Valley
    Vehicle:
    02 Tacoma Single Cab 2.4L
    6" adjustable coilover lift add-a-leaf black unique rims BFG AT KO's 410 rear end 2 10" subs xm radio alpine head unit and amps painted front bumper half a$$ intake
    I have an 02 single cab and if you want to do some offroading get the prerunner. I started off with th basic 2.4L mini and workd off that. The extra suspension youd get would be perfect what sounds like your type of offroading. Youd be able to do fireroads and tow with no problems.

You would probaly find it more difficilt on loose rock or gravel hills.

The basic truck is a basic truck more for street and paved roads. If you want do moderae offroadig id ugget pgradto atleat 6 inches of lift to a basic 2 door truck ike mine.
    l_9e66a4bf124c2e22e720d0832df01e06_49adb64ba26dd086263e74905d1f0fe6120d7b22.png

As for 4x4 i thinks its a must. WHY???? because even though I dont do alot of offroading I have been in situations where 4x4 would have gotten me out of places without the embarrasing pull up the hill or pulling jet skis out of a lake.

And offroad tires arent that expensive. 31x10.5 BFG TA KO's can be found at walmart for 130 bucks each. And most of the time they have deals of by one get one free. And there are cheaper tires then that in th same store with alittle differet look.

15. May 5, 2010 at 5:31 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    If you can afford the extra 4 grand for the 4x4, you won't ever regret it. I have never heard anyone say, man i wish i had bought a prerunner. The 4wd with TRAC is straight nasty offroad, it just keeps going and going.

16. May 5, 2010 at 5:47 PM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    Its going to be seeing 90% street use but i'd like to feel confident that it can perform on the trails or just on something other than asphalt. I'm not looking to do anything big like climbing rocks or going swimming, just kinda mowin through stuff. What do you think?

Also, how does the 2wd base perform under hazardous conditions?

17. May 5, 2010 at 6:11 PM
    SimiGuy

SimiGuy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Simi Valley
    Vehicle:
    6" adjustable coilover lift add-a-leaf black unique rims BFG AT KO's 410 rear end 2 10" subs xm radio alpine head unit and amps painted front bumper half a$$ intake
    yud be safe with any truck then

18. May 5, 2010 at 6:15 PM
    uood8

uood8 If You Search...You Shall Find.

Member:
    Greensboro, NC
    Vehicle:
    '16 Sr5 4x4 DCSB
    Pretty much stock
    My buddy had a Z71 colorado 2wd....he was driving down around some pipelines (just grass about a foot tall) and hit a spot that got kind of swampy, with only the front wheels stuck in the mud he couldn't back out because there wasn't enough weight on the rear to get traction. Guess what he got pulled out with....a 4x4 Tacoma :)

19. May 5, 2010 at 6:16 PM
    SimiGuy

SimiGuy Active Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Joel
    Simi Valley
    Vehicle:
    what kind of hazardous conitions like ice and snow? With factory toyota tires it sucked on ice and flooded streets. But once I got some decent rubber it did ok.

Then I bought my all terrains and it does great. If there is snow and ice I suggest you load an extra 100 lbs in the bed of extra taction.

20. May 5, 2010 at 10:48 PM
    Vrbas

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2013 4x4 DCSB 6speed
    Good stuff, thanks for all the advice everyone!

I'm leaning towards the 4x4 regardless of whether or not i will use it that much. I figure it's better to have than not whenever the occasion might arise, and i don't mind the 2-3 mpg drop. However, I dunno if i'm gonna like the ride height. I like the low profile of the my dad's truck (i don't want a "lowered" truck per say, i just like the height on it).

I'd like to hear some stories of some very capable 2wd's getting through some stuff, preferably those with a stock setup or similar.

Products Discussed in

To Top