1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm new- Richmond Va!

Discussion in '3rd Gen. Tacomas (2016-2023)' started by H8my16tacoma, Jun 28, 2017.

1. Jun 28, 2017 at 1:52 PM
    H8my16tacoma

H8my16tacoma [OP] New Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2016 silver Tacoma sr5
    IMG_0841.jpg IMG_0844.jpg 8ADB7E3E-7459-4A35-BEAA-39912CEF165F.jpg Hey guys! I'm new here because I bought a Tacoma.. Every single person I encountered told me I'm going to love ❤️ this truck and have it forever!!
    Bought it used with 9,000 miles and have tinted the windows and added a stereo system.. built a custom bike rack out of pvc.. as it was at the stereo shop I found out the alternator was not very strong and no after market available. After driving it around I noticed I was having weird stuff happening when i was in a low speed situation. Like it had no idea where the transmission was supposed to be. I did read on this forum about the "hunting for gears" and all the different scenarios- mine is at under 45 mph and I'm at my 3rd local dealership.
    I thought I was going to love this truck.. but now I'm bitter and sad- any help? Let me know
    I want to keep it and customize more- but super hesitant

Modesto Tacoma likes this.
  2. Jun 28, 2017 at 1:56 PM
    MESO

MESO Major Modder Vendor

Member:
    State of Jefferson
    Vehicle:
    2016 DCLB TRD HELLCAT SWAP
    Welcome. I take it you BMX...?
    Just modify it, it's a Tacoma.. it will be fine.

3. Jun 28, 2017 at 2:01 PM
    CaptAmerica

CaptAmerica Asphalt Avenger! TTC#13

Member:
    First Name:
    Cap
    In a van down by the river
    Vehicle:
    Gen 2.9 DCLB TRD Sport w/tech
    Stickers and not enough wax
    Welcome to TW! With that said...I don't know what kind of response you expect with a username that hints at not being happy with the truck. You might wish to reconsider that - mods can help.

Also not sure what your local stereo shop knows about the Tacoma alternator - it's powerful enough to charge the battery and run the interior electronics, as well as the AC adapter in the bed of the TRD models. What kind of stereo are you running?

Don't be bitter and sad - Tacomas are infinitely "adjustable" to suit the needs of their owners. Have fun with it. It's a good truck.

MGMTaco17 likes this.
  4. Jul 19, 2017 at 11:12 AM
    Martyhawg

Martyhawg New Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Marty
    Moseley, VA
    Vehicle:
    2013 Pre Runner
    I assume your biggest problem is with your tranny? It's a 16 under mileage so take it to the stealership and start bitching, especially while a bunch off customers are on the sales floor and start doing the funky chicken and grab your chest. Seriously though theyre good trucks and easy to work on.

5. Jul 19, 2017 at 11:48 AM
    Tactical_Panda

Tactical_Panda Armchair Anarchist

Member:
    First Name:
    Tim
    Fredericksburg, VA
    Vehicle:
    2015 Tacoma Double Cab, Off-Road Edition
    AJT Designs Shifter AJT Designs Battery Hold-Down ARB Awning 2500x2500 ARB Twin Compressor w/ Slee Offroad Mounting Bracket Avid Brush Bar Avid Step Bars Black Rock Wheels Series 997 Type 8 Circuit Breaker/Relay Panel Custom TRD Decals Bulletproof Fabricating Raptor Grill Bulletproof Fabricating Cooling Panel Bulletproof Fabricating Tow Hook Duluth Trading Company Dog Hammock Exhaust Breather Mod eBay Special 3-Gallon Air Tank Expedition Essentials TPAM EZ Down tailgate damper Flagpole Mounts, Dual Foglight Mod Front Camera Rear Camera; full time available General Grabber tires Goat Armor Hella Supertone Horns Iggy Switch Panel Icon Dynamics Stage 3 Suspension Katskin Leather Interior KickAss camp shower LED Bed Lights LED Interior Lights Midland MXT275 GMRS Two-Way Radio OEM Audio Plus Reference 500 audio upgrade Plano Cases. 42" roof mounted, X2 Pop-N-Lock Tailgate Handle Prinsu Cab Rack Prinsu-like Shell Rack Redline Tuning Hood Struts Rigid Industries 40" Light Bar Rigid Industries Ditch Lights Rigid Industries Spotlights Toyota Bed Step UltraGauge EM Plus v1.4 Vixen Air Horns, Four-Trumpet Whole bunch of decals worth about 5HP each Yakima Road Shower, 10-gal
  6. Jul 19, 2017 at 11:54 AM
    Broccoli

Broccoli Well-Known Member

Member:
    Airdrie Alberta
    Vehicle:
    2016 trd sport blazing blue,
    Welcome! Lots of things to help the tranny and mod while your at it... new gears, or different size tires can help a bit. There are also a couple transmission enhancment accesories for sale on the forum. Plus a company is working on a tune for it. Make sure the tranny tsbs are up to date and drive the truck. You can also try unplugging the battery for abit and plugging it back in. This will reset the driver habits for the tranny to relearn.

7. Jul 19, 2017 at 1:48 PM
    Riding Dirty

Riding Dirty Sinner; saved by grace

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Before: '16 TRD OR 4x4 AC QS//After: 17 T4R Pro 040
    PlastiDip
    Welcome! Like others have stated, get all the tranny tsbs done, fluid level checked and learn to use s-mode for driving in town. It will all improve drive ability. Sorry to hear you're disappointed, if it bothers you bad enough you can always trade it off.

8. Jul 22, 2017 at 9:00 AM
    Bugmanbrian

Bugmanbrian Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    Vehicle:
    2018 sport
    Welcome got used to mine after first year

9. Jul 22, 2017 at 9:06 AM
    su.b.rat

su.b.rat broken truck

Member:
    never owned a vehicle that i liked much before modding. modding = correcting faults, problems, and compromises.

i never hated my truck when it was new, i just identified the things i needed to improve and got to work.

i'm 8 months post-delivery now and this truck is a second home to me. if it wasn't for my efforts, i wouldn't care much for it. now it's totally amazingly awesome. and i'm not even a fanboi.

Products Discussed in

To Top