1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm scared...

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by bigmooze, Sep 9, 2009.

1. Sep 9, 2009 at 2:14 PM
    bigmooze

bigmooze [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Richard
    Belle River, ON
    Vehicle:
    2009 4x4 access cab SR5
    Bilstein 5100's all round (0" up front with stock springs), 265/75/16 Goodyear Wrangler Duratracs, K&N 63 Series Aircharger Kit, Flowmaster Super 44 Muffler, Delta Champion Toolbox, fog lights, back-up lights, Sirius satellite radio with PA15-TOY, Midland 1001z CB radio with 2' Firestik II antenna, Weathertech floor mats, AVS sill protectors, Marathon SuperHides Seatcovers (Universal Digital Camo), trimmed front mud flaps, Viair 20005 OBA, Warn W650D driving lights and W650F fog lights on N-Fab light bar, Hi-Lift X-treme jack with off road accessories, TracRac "TracONE" system
    ... to lift my truck :(

As much as I'd like to pull the trigger on 2.5" Billy 5100's up front (stock coils) and 1.5" AAL with 5100's at the back (plus new tires and possibly wheels), I'm worried that it will cause my truck to pick up drive line vibration and CV boot wear. I would install TC UCA's too.

I've read quite a bit and the vibes seem hit and miss, and I guess we only hear about the cases that are problematic. When you consider the number of lifted Tacomas, I'm thinking that the success rate is fairly good. But still, I'm finding the nerves hard to overcome.

I prefer the look of our trucks lifted, and I'd love to increase my ground clearance for off-roading - not that I hammer the thing off-road, but it's still nice to have a more functional vehicle, clearance-wise.

Can anyone ease my nerves lol?

2. Sep 9, 2009 at 2:18 PM
    DanGer

DanGer Avatar approved by 98tacomav6

Member:
    Northern Virginia & Blacksburg
    Vehicle:
    07 Base 4Cyl 4x4 Manual
    White Head Light mod, White shorty antennae, Doug Thorley Long Tube headers, AFE Drop in air filter, Secondary Air Filter Removed,
    honestly if you don't feel comfortable doing it...don't.

However there are ways to fix problems

3. Sep 9, 2009 at 2:21 PM
    Incognito

Incognito μολὼν λαβέ

Member:
    First Name:
    Colton
    VA
    Vehicle:
    2012 Pyrite AC TRD OR
    See Build thread
    And we haven't heard of any problems since... ;)

4. Sep 9, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    I just did exactly what you want to do, and I have a slight vibe and I think its due to not having a proper alignment done, the guy who did mine did not get it perfect and I think the edge of my tires is causing the vibe. It does it while coasting in neutral so its not the driveshaft and it is so faint that it feels to me like a tread vibe. I wouldnt worry about the cv boots, the angle isnt changed that drastically.

5. Sep 9, 2009 at 2:24 PM
    nad

nad mmmm tacos!

Member:
    First Name:
    Jordan
    Canada
    Vehicle:
    2014 Sierra All Terrain
    o ya i forgot i would say do it, its definitely worth it , the ride is so much better after.

6. Sep 9, 2009 at 2:48 PM
    Chazmanian

Chazmanian Well-Known Member

Member:
    Colorado
    Stocker
    2.5 Billys, 1.5 AAL....Rides like a dream on some mighty 285 KM2's....My only issue was a slight wobble in the steering wheel at 45-55MPH. Took it in for balance job #3 and bingo. Wobble gone truck feels rock solid and rides as a truck should. 35PSI all around, a bit of creative fenderwell trimmin' its on and crackin'. I'm even running the stock UCA's and the truck has no wandering or driveability issues. No driveline vibrations...Nada. Its all good.

Why drop 30K on a truck that drives like a Camry? Let the lil' beast that dwells within...OUT!!
    [​IMG]

To Top