1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm Stuck - Tell Me How To Get Out.

Discussion in 'Off-Roading & Trails' started by stewartx, Feb 6, 2012.

1. Feb 6, 2012 at 11:23 PM
    stewartx

stewartx [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    2012 Silver DC SB TRD Off-Road
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    Okay, in this hypothetical scenario, I'm stuck in slippery mud in a wooded area miles from nowhere. No chance of outside help. Rocking the vehicle back & forth with 4wd engaged only succeeded in burying tires nearly up to the metal wheels. Decided to stop before the situation gets any worse.

Standing beside the truck, regret not adding a vehicle-mounted winch (too expensive), but glad it's loaded with a nearly endless selection of other recovery options. What should I pull out first and why? What's the best way to use it? What popular options probably wouldn't work?

Note: There are likely no right or wrong answers here. Instead, with the goal of equipping my own vehicle for backwoods travel (fishing, hunting, etc), just trying to learn the tools and tactics others have used, or might use, for vehicle recovery in similar situations. Also hoping to discover what options may be a waste of time or money. Others might benefit from all this as well. Thanks for your advice.

2. Feb 6, 2012 at 11:30 PM
    jammdogg

jammdogg Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    James
    Hillsboro, OR
    Vehicle:
    13 Spruce Mica DCLB
    6" ProComp lift on 35 MT's. ARB Bumper.
    Hi Lift jack, recovery strap and a tree saver.

3. Feb 6, 2012 at 11:35 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    In this situation I would use an axe and start chopping smaller trees and branches, load them up in front of the vehicle's tires for traction. A shovel would also help to be able to clear mud from the tires. Also have food and water prepared.

4. Feb 6, 2012 at 11:41 PM
    Twistedfreedom

Twistedfreedom welcome to the incredibuild

Member:
    First Name:
    Adam
    Seattle
    Vehicle:
    in progress
    modded the F*ck out
    come a long with a 4' pipe, shackles, 6ft 30k# strap for trees 30' 30k# strap, food water blanket shovel hi-lift. i'd also reconsider my winch investment situation one tow from an off road wrecker will cost you more than a winch, if it comes to that.

5. Feb 6, 2012 at 11:42 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    If you will be out by yourself you NEED a winch

6. Feb 6, 2012 at 11:42 PM
    Dhawk1313

Dhawk1313 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Drew
    New Jersey
    Vehicle:
    99 SR5
    Clear Corners, Clear Turn Signals, Pioneer Headunit, Kenwood speakers up front, Alpines in back, Billy 5100's front + rear, Toytec AAL, Eibach/Toytec Coilovers, Toytec Diff drop, Smoked taillights
    Thank god you told us what you were doing. We were all dying to know

7. Feb 6, 2012 at 11:45 PM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    Or buy a hi lift and all it's accessories, then get stuck and winch yourself out one time see how much it sucks and THEN buy a winch :D

8. Feb 6, 2012 at 11:59 PM
    2010Tacoma4x4

2010Tacoma4x4 "Man Ho"

Member:
    First Name:
    Dave
    Jacksonville, Fl
    Vehicle:
    2010 4x4 SR5
    Tinted windows, Bug deflector, Rain guards, Bed mat, Rear leaf TSB, Bilsteins front & rear (front set @ 1.75), 16x8 chrome Helo wheels, Toyo open country AT P265/75/R16 tires. CBI bolt on sliders. BSP color matched M1 Satoshi grill. BHLM. UWS low profile black powder coat crosover truckbox. Pioneer DVD/CD head unit - 4 channel amp - front mids & highs - 8" sub box.
    Some pics of said hypothetical stuckness may help with the suggestion input :cookiemonster:

9. Feb 7, 2012 at 12:05 AM
    COMAtose HI

COMAtose HI Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD SPORT 4x4
    6" Procomp Stage 1 Suspension Lift, Custom 6" Alcan Springs, N-Fab Side Steps, Husky Floor Liners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Debadged, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, 13" Antenna from AntennaX.com, 35% Tint for front windows, Procomp 7032 Series 18x9 wheels, 33x12.50 Nitto Mud Grappler tires
    ^^^ LOL or just be sure to have big foots cell phone number...he would pull you out one speed.

10. Feb 7, 2012 at 12:10 AM
    Konaborne

Konaborne Pineapples on pizza Hawaiian does not it make.

Member:
    First Name:
    Cody
    Kealakekua, Hawaii
    Vehicle:
    Lifted 00 TRD Off-Road
    fox extended travel remote resivoir coilovers, 14" eibach 600lb coils, All Pro tubular chromoly 1" uniball upper control arms, All Pro expedition leaf packs, 10" bilstein 5150 piggyback reservoir shocks 265/75r16 Goodyear wrangler MT/R kevlars wrapped around 16" Helo 791 gloss black, Mini H1 retrofits with 6000k bulbs, 18" magnaflow w/custom exhaust reroute various decals, Sockmonkey retro hood stripes
    Dig.
    line tires with tree debris
    put floor mats on top of that
    try again

hi lift
    tow straps
    pull

pray

11. Feb 7, 2012 at 12:15 AM
    COMAtose HI

COMAtose HI Well-Known Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    2012 TRD SPORT 4x4
    6" Procomp Stage 1 Suspension Lift, Custom 6" Alcan Springs, N-Fab Side Steps, Husky Floor Liners, Wet Okole Seat Covers, Debadged, Weathertech Side Window Deflectors, 13" Antenna from AntennaX.com, 35% Tint for front windows, Procomp 7032 Series 18x9 wheels, 33x12.50 Nitto Mud Grappler tires
    ...you wouldn't be stuck in the mud if you were running TSL BOGGGGERRRssss!!!!

12. Feb 7, 2012 at 12:18 AM
    92LandCruiser

92LandCruiser Well-Known Member

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Hi-lift and some sort of solid base and lifting points. Jack up one side of the vehicle. Assuming you have 4 maxtrax/element ramps/waffle boards place 1 under each tire, repeat on other side. Assuming you have 2, put both under front or rear tires. Then fill the other holes with branches and logs. You can use your bow saw, axe, or chain saw you have to help you.

You can also pave yourself a way out with branches thicker pieces of wood you've collected if need be.

Naturally you'll aid your truck by using your shovel to clear under the vehicle as best you can and perhaps you could aid your path of branches and down fall with any gravel you might find.

Back your truck to freedom and then go retrieve your tools once your on solid ground. Might try to patch up the trail some as it's never fun going through peoples ruts, even if dry. I'll leave that to your discretion.

I suppose if you have no traction aids like ramps or waffle boards you could try with just downfall and lots of it, along with shoveling. I would still do the same, jack the vehicle, fill the hole back in and stuff lots of brush and branches and downfall under the tires, pave a path to solid ground. Clear under the truck with the shovel so you're not dragging.

Key tools: hi lift and jacking points, shovel, axe or bow saw, gloves

making life easier: waffle boards/ ramps

Of course you can do without the hi-lift but you'll have to get clever with the stock jack or a bottle jack and you'll want to carry some sort of base and maybe some different sized chunks of 4x4 blocks

or hi-lift winching or come along, should still try to lift the truck up out of the holes and fill them in and clear under it with a shovel

nicer would be an exhaust jack

Edit: oh yeah and of course you'd think to bring emergency snacks water blankets dry socks etc etc... so if you had to stay a night or two it'd be no issue and you'd have told people where you were headed so it'd be no issue at all

then you'd get out assess the situation, maybe step back and think about it for a few minutes before lunging into shit and getting angry and upset

OH and one time I used two heavy duty pallets to get myself unstuck out of the snow. I had to get turned around so I just kept repositioning them until I got all the way turned around. I had to dig and lift the truck out of the snow to reset them. PITA so I bought waffle boards.

dbl edit: you know about deflating and turning the steering wheel back and forth right? also you could stack rocks as well, doesn't have to be wood, floor mats kinda work

triple edit: if it were truly a life/death situation or a situation where you didn't give a fuck about thrashing your trucks fenders you could lash sections of logs to your tires just assess to see if you'll lodge the log in your wheel well and make the situation worse

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=YnRRGW6z3UQ

http://library.enlisted.info/field-manuals/series-2/FM21_305/CH22.PDF

RedDemolisher likes this.
  13. Feb 7, 2012 at 12:33 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Winch, front hitch, step bars, bed extender, bed step, gull-wing toolbox, tailgate lock, security system, cb radio, etc.
    The scenario is hypothetical. However, my desire for advice in such a scenario is very real. With an interest in backwoods hunting and fishing, this is the situation I'd most likely encounter.

14. Feb 7, 2012 at 12:46 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Hi-Lift jacks seem to be very popular. Beyond using it as a winch (which I understand), are there any points under the Tacoma where such a jack could be used? For example, lifting the vehicle to insert waffle boards or similar under the tires?

15. Feb 7, 2012 at 12:49 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    Heres a link.

http://www.landyonline.co.za/techtalk/vehicle_recovery.htm#rwow

Also even if you have a winch or another vehicle to recover your vehicle with you should always use a shovel to help clear obstructions, this will help your vehicle, theirs, your winch and your safety as there is less strain and load on the recovery gear.

16. Feb 7, 2012 at 12:53 AM
    stewartx

Member:
    Huntsville AL
    Vehicle:
    Oh, come on, man. Are you blind? Hypothetical pics were included in the message containing the hypothetical scenario. :rofl:

-

17. Feb 7, 2012 at 12:56 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    This is where sliders or an aftermarket bumper shines but I have seen the rear lifted from the receiver hitch either just inserting it into the hitch or using a shackle mount and swinging the shackle up and inserting it there or even more sketchy just sticking it under the hitch. I don't recommend any of those especially if you're going to be trying to get close/ stick stuff under the vehicle.

If you don't want to invest in armor and a hi-lift your next best option is an exhaust jack. Falling short of that I'd say get creative with a bottle jack and chunks of 4x4 and a piece of plywood for a base.

I know it sucks investing money in this shit but once you get real stuck solo you realize what a good purchase some of this stuff is.

18. Feb 7, 2012 at 1:02 AM
    92LandCruiser

Member:
    Nevada
    Vehicle:
    80 series Land Cruiser
    Cummins, tons, 40s
    If you want to go cheap

http://www.amazon.com/Titan-Exhaust-Air-Jack-2-Ton/dp/B000P5TUSI

stick a piece of belting or a piece of ply wood on top of the exhaust jack and slide it under the frame wherever on the truck.

a shovel and maybe come up with your own traction ladders a couple 4' 2x8 and maybe screw some shit into them, idk (probably on both sides)

|___|
    |___|
    |___|
    |___|
    |___|

19. Feb 7, 2012 at 4:38 AM
    wolftree

wolftree Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Rick
    Ohio
    Vehicle:
    2011 Tacoma 4x4 Regular cab automatic trans,
    Rear Leaf TSB, Bilstein 5100s, extra leaf added
    A question. Is there a manufactured anchor made that could be driven/augered into ground that would hold up to being used as pulling point for a winch/hi-lft for retieval when there is no tree close enough?

I have tried to design one in my mind, perhaps a heavy spud bar with a flat plate welded to one side.

20. Feb 7, 2012 at 4:57 AM
    G scott04

G scott04 ...

Member:
    First Name:
    Garrett
    Mesa
    Vehicle:
    04 PreRunner
    yes one second

Products Discussed in

To Top