1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

I'm trying to love this truck. Really, I am.....

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by BelchFire, Aug 22, 2008.

1. Aug 29, 2009 at 6:01 PM
    98tacoma27

98tacoma27 is going full "SANDWICH" Moderator

Member:
    First Name:
    Ben
    Not Beech Creek
    Vehicle:
    05 Tundra SR5 (+295k AND COUNTING), 2006 F350 King Ranch 6.0L
    Some stuff. Not a lot, just some.
    Wow, nice thread resurrection. A year to the day almost.

2. Sep 18, 2009 at 8:21 PM
    modelcitizen

modelcitizen Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pre Runner
    Dan,

Assuming that you are a typical overweight middle aged man, I would expect that response, but as a slim healthy person, I am going to side with the OP and other posters and say that, "It's the tacoma".

I have never had a vehicle that I wanted to jump out of after 15 minutes until now. I bought an 05 reg cab prerunner the other day and this thing is killing me. The bucket seats sure looked nice after the bench in my ranger, and also felt fine during the test drive. I love it otherwise, but the leg and back pain is the reason I found this thread in the search. I need a solution other than, "stop complaining. Or sell the truck."

3. Sep 18, 2009 at 8:28 PM
    danb86

danb86 East Ender

Member:
    First Name:
    Dan
    Long Island, NY
    Vehicle:
    2010 I4 Access Cab 4x4
    Sorry, but I'm pretty fit for 45! 6 months/year of leading scuba dives will do that...other 6 months spent captaining/boating every day.

And sorry for the snarky earlier post - seriously.

Like the truck? Find another vehicle seat your comfortable in, buy it, and have it installed...

4. Sep 18, 2009 at 8:37 PM
    fletch aka

fletch aka www.BeLikeBrit.org

Member:
    First Name:
    Gary
    Left Coast
    Vehicle:
    09 Magnetic Gray TRD OffRoad
    TRD cat back exhaust, TRD Cold Air Intake, differential breather mod' Hellwig rear sway bar, 16x8 TRD Ivan Stewart's, Michelin LTX A/T2, DTRL Stealth Mode Mod, custom "Texas Edition" shift knob, Sock's "Classic" bedside decals, MetalMiller custom grill emblem, 20% front tinted windows, tinted taillights, Viper alarm, ScanGauge II, Flyzeye Designs V2W Tacoma Interior LED lighting, de-mud flapped, de-badged, extra D-rings under bed bolts, WeatherTech ED floor mats, G4 Elite Fold a Cover ,Toyota bed mat, tailgate theft deterrent device and absolutely no plasti-dip!
    I have read reviews where the reviewers complained the seats are to low. I have driven Volvo's my whole life and there seats are low so I had no problem in getting use to the truck. You may have the problem the reviewers were complaining about. Might talk to an upholstery shop and see if they have any ideas. Maybe more or firmer padding in the seat or something like that. Wish you luck, hate to see you get rid of the taco.

5. Sep 18, 2009 at 8:50 PM
    WilsonTheDog

WilsonTheDog Kylie's dad

Member:
    First Name:
    Eric
    Myrtle Beach SC
    Vehicle:
    07 Prerunner SR5 DC/SB V6
    Magnaflow 12576 muffler & chrome tip, Westin step bars, 27% tint, Pop N Lock, AFE ProdryS, bed mat, Husky liners, D-rings added, Access Literider tonneau, Pioneer 4-ways all around, GY Wrangler Duratracs 265/75/16, 5100's @ 1.75", 1.5" AAL
    That IS your solution, aside from aftermarket seats.

I still don't buy that it isn't a problem with you. As I said, oh, over a year ago in this thread, I've had lower back surgery (degenerative disc disease) and this truck gives me no problem whatsoever. Just took a 1500 mile round trip drive two weeks ago by myself. Not one problem and I only stop for gas.

Or, maybe you just have too rosy a view of yourself. I've heard more than one out of shape person call themselves "healthy".

6. Sep 18, 2009 at 8:55 PM
    gcwaterski

gcwaterski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Sorry you are having back troubles! It is an ABSOLUTE nightmare! I don't think it has anything to do with the truck though. Thousands and thousands and thousands of people have these trucks with no problems. There is nothing particularly odd about these seats that should do that. I would seek medical attention but you may need to get another vehicle!

7. Sep 18, 2009 at 8:58 PM
    rosebud

rosebud Love that transmission!

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Stock suspension, stock wheels, stock bumper, stock, stock, stock, dammit!
    Yall, my seats in the 09 are so comfortable I'm afraid I might fall asleep, and I have trash for a back! I had lumbar surgery a few years ago, and have several more bad disks and that truck is more comfortable than I have been behind the wheel in years! I couldn't stand my Mom's Honda because it KILLED my back! It was like sitting in a bucket. My last toy truck was fine for the most part, but also got uncomfortable on long drives because the bucket seat was stiff as a board, but my 09 taco is like sitting in a lazy boy for me! I am 5.4

Is it possible that the seats changed between the 08 and the 09s?

8. Sep 18, 2009 at 9:42 PM
    modelcitizen

modelcitizen Member

Member:
    Vehicle:
    Pre Runner

Thanks Bud, I apologize as well. TGIF wasn't all it was cracked up to be today. Partly because it was a long drive home!;)

As for the seats. I am either going to have an upholstery shop take out/add some foam, or I'm going to get a used seat from craigslist and make it work. I've heard nothing but good things about volvo and saab seats, and i know a good metal fabricator. I'm in construction and it would actually be a good thing to stick the stock seat in the attic where it's safe from the daily grind until the time comes for resale. I'll be sure to follow up with my solution.

9. Sep 20, 2009 at 12:11 PM
    Sodbuster

Sodbuster Active Member

Member:
    I saw this thread and had to reply. I thought I was the only one with this problem. I thought it was me but I don't have this trouble in any other vehicle. More than a half hour driving and I'm screaming for mercy. I've tried every seating position possible with no improvement. I love this vehicle otherwise. What will it cost to get after market seats installed?

10. Sep 20, 2009 at 12:26 PM
    Spootypuff

Spootypuff Well-Known Member

Member:
    Jacksonville, FL
    Vehicle:
    SWB Sport Double Cab SB 4x4
    Satoshi
    I think it's comfortable, but I'm used to uncomfortable cars (STi and Miata mostly)

11. Sep 20, 2009 at 11:11 PM
    Beefed Taco

Beefed Taco Taco Vending Machine

Member:
    First Name:
    Brian
    My Metal Shop
    Vehicle:
    99 Taco
    streetacos.com parts!
    Hey I have an idea....seat swap? It's the perfect excuse for the wife....."honey, it's just not good for my back, this is the only reason I want those Ricaro's.....really". (doah, just read the post above mine)

12. Sep 20, 2009 at 11:16 PM
    Kyouto42

Kyouto42 Iron Beard

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Ahwatukee, AZ
    Vehicle:
    BSP '10 4x4 TRD Off-Road DC
    See build thread in signature
    For the guys that got used taco's.... maybe go to a dealer and check out the seats in a new one... perhaps the support in the seats are damaged from the previous owner from improperly sitting in them, overweight, ect....

Everyone has a slightly diff body, and while it seems Toyota did a damn fine job with these seats to fit most people... there's still going to be some people they'll be uncomfortable with. Perhaps try the 4-runner seats at a dealer and see if they're better... or the tacoma TRD (or non TRD whichever you have) and see if they're better for you. I'm not sure if the 4runner seats bolt up in this gen though. Something to consider, best of luck.

Note: I find the TRD seats to be a LOT more comfortable than my 05 Infiniti G35 coupe was...

13. Sep 21, 2009 at 4:21 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    I think 3 hours is enough for most car seats. My Corolla is horrible. Between the lack of leg room and uncomfortable seats my back hurts and legs are numb after 3 hours.

If nothing else I can at least set the cruise in the Taco and move my legs around! :laugh:

14. Sep 21, 2009 at 5:19 AM
    Jordo

Jordo Well-Known Member

Member:
    Lancaster PA
    Vehicle:
    05 Nissan Frontier CC
    How about this...You give me your truck, and I'll give you my Nissan! The cab lay out is def. better for your needs. We got a deal? BTW its a 2005 DC 4X4 60K miles.

15. Sep 21, 2009 at 5:42 AM
    piercedtiger

piercedtiger Devout Atheist

Member:
    First Name:
    Jon
    Southern Tier, NY
    Vehicle:
    2015 F150 3.5EB SCEW 6.5ft
    Does the blond in your sig come with the truck? :devil:

16. Sep 21, 2009 at 6:05 AM
    gcwaterski

gcwaterski Well-Known Member

Member:
    Who checks the date? I never do! ;)

17. Sep 21, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    Toyota will probably never be able to fix their rusting issues dating back to the 1970s.

My wife's 07 Sequoia looks a little worse than that. But yeah, too bad. Toyota gave up on making beds that wont rust so they make them out of plastic now. Maybe in another couple decades the entire trucks will be plastic.

18. Sep 21, 2009 at 6:36 AM
    rutherk1

rutherk1 ElPhantasmo&TheChickenRunBlastarama

Member:
    Vehicle:
    09 Silver TRD 4door
    what the

19. Sep 21, 2009 at 8:34 AM
    Death_Stalker

Death_Stalker " The Master Ninja"

Member:
    First Name:
    Talha
    Cypress, TX
    Vehicle:
    2018 4Runner LE
    TRD Pro Wheels BFG AT Tires
    i hear you i find the seat slight uncomfortable too i am 5'9" . Its not really bad because i took a 15 hr drive non stop last month and i started getting a back ache in like 10 hrs now its wasnt that bad but driving for so many hours in any vehicle would caue that... i personally thing the seats could have been a little more confortable it took me couple of weeks to get adjusted now i am fine.... ive had my truck for about 3 months now .....

20. Sep 21, 2009 at 8:38 AM
    rosebud

rosebud Love that transmission!

Member:
    SE Texas
    Vehicle:
    2017 TRD OR
    Stock suspension, stock wheels, stock bumper, stock, stock, stock, dammit!
    I complained in another thread that the seat belts are terrible for women. So I guess the seat is uncomfortable for some men, and some of you say they were designed more for women, but the seat belt is clearly designed for men! Hmm. :rolleyes:

Products Discussed in

To Top