1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Imnaha

Discussion in 'North West' started by m3bassman, May 28, 2013.

1. May 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    m3bassman

m3bassman [OP] Professional Web Wheeler

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    This is the trip report from this past weekends trip through three states. I was able to drive one amazing road after another both paved and not paved. I hope you enjoy!
    [​IMG]

The meeting point for the trip was Clarkston Washington. I took the opportunity to take a detour as Mike was running a bit late. I took a road called "The Old Spiral Highway". It was appropriately named and a blast to work my way down to the valley. The view wasn't bad either.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Day 1:
    We made our way east into Lewiston and on south towards McCall. I decided we needed to take another detour as there was a road i had been eyeing for a couple years now. It was well worth the wait. The road meanders down a ridge from the top of White Bird Pass all the way down to the valley below to the town of White Bird. We had the road to ourselves besides some cattle.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Typical Idaho traffic.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    From there we followed along the Salmon River continuing south until we reached the little town of Riggins Idaho. It is popular among the white-water rafting folk which we did see some rafters on the water. We took a small detour and followed the Salmon east a ways.
    [​IMG]
    We were getting hungry so we didn't get too far down the river before we turned back to the main highway to get to Chef Geoff's for lunch. As expected Geoff was more than hospitable and took great care of us for lunch. For those that ever stumble in there the Chipotle Chicken Tacos are superb. The pulled pork sandwiches he sent us on the road with were a very very close second to the tacos. Thanks again Geoff!
    [​IMG]
    We said our goodbyes and hit the road hard as we needed to get into Oregon and set up camp before dark. We made our way into Hells Canyon via ID71. We dropped down a long ways into the canyon bottom and made our way down river on the Oregon side of Hells Canyon. Passed by the Brown Lee and the Oxbow dam and even got to go through a cool old tunnel.
    [​IMG]
    We continued dowstream to Hess Road. We had no clue of we could make it to the top but theres only one way to find out. The climb on this road was very steep.
    [​IMG]
    The benefit was that the view got incredible very quickly.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Eventually at the top we rejoined the highway and took a side trip to the Hells Canyon overlook. Then it was time to drop into the next valley to make camp along the Imnaha River.
    [​IMG]
    Had a deer come right up to our campfire too. Of course neither of us had our cameras near by.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: May 28, 2013
  2. May 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    Day 2:
    We made it on the road by 10:30 and it wasn't long till we were in for a surprise. We came across a house where there were well over a dozen peacocks hanging around. Beautiful birds and completely random. I certainly did not expect to see that on this trip!
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Also saw plenty of deer along the way
    [​IMG]
    The Imnaha is a pretty River to follow
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    I found my next mod
    [​IMG]
    At about this time we stated to get rained on. It wasn't bad and there was lots to see along the way. I enjoyed the old machinery and trucks just left to rot in the valley like this old White logging truck. A rare truck.
    [​IMG]
    Also found what was left of an old GMC
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mike's usual solute in the drizzle
    [​IMG]
    By the time we made it to the village of Imnaha the rain ceased. I got a kick at how small the post office is.
    [​IMG]
    Pavement led to dirt and we soon were climbing high over the Imnaha River.
    [​IMG]
    Our goal was to make it to Dug Bar many miles at the end of the road and hopefully make it back in time to explore hat point.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We peeled away from the Imnaha and climbed over a saddle as we continued north to Dug Bar. The weather began to deteriorate quickly
    [​IMG]
    At the top of the saddle was a spur road that was used to service the telephone poles they strung through the canyon. When we made it out to the cliff edge, the wind was howling and the rain flying sideways. The view of the Snake River though, made it oh so worth it. If you look deep in the back of the canyon you can see the Imnaha River running into the Snake.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We soldiered on and by the time we made it to Dug Bar it was a complete downpour.
    [​IMG]
    We realized then that we wouldn't have time to make it to Hat Point this trip. Instead, we put the hammer down and made our way back to the Imnaha River to make camp alongside it. The road now way just covered in water.
    [​IMG]
    When we made it to the top of the saddle and the weather had cleared up a bit.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Mike spotted the overgrown entrance that led us down to an incredible campsite alongside the Imnaha River. We made camp and soon were working to stay dry as the rain came through once again.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Mike was very proud of our fire as it stayed roaring and hot all through the rain.
    [​IMG]

3. May 28, 2013 at 12:24 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    Day 3:
    Luckily the rain had stopped before we stumbled to bed and we were greeted with blue skies in the morning
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    We reached pavement again and soon were in Enterprise Oregon. We grabbed lunch, switch off the CB's and said our good byes. Mike went west, I went north. Little did i know the awesome road I had still to drive. First i was interrupted by a lone elk.
    [​IMG]
    Then the road unfolded before me
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    Across the river and up the other side of the canyon
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Overall the trip was incredible. Awesome roads, awesome views and awesome company. They rain was an inconvenience but we didn't let it get in the way of the trip. I hope you enjoy the pictures. Thanks for looking.

4. May 28, 2013 at 12:25 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
  5. May 28, 2013 at 12:58 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Awesome looking road. But wtf is Imnaha?

6. May 28, 2013 at 1:06 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    You didn't read did you?

7. May 28, 2013 at 1:21 PM
    BradyT88

BradyT88 Skinkwerks Rockware & Fabrication!!

Member:
    Idaho
    Vehicle:
    Rock Damage
    Skinkwerks armor and a lot of other stuff!
    I like the plow pic, I'll bet that thing weighs more than the Taco though. haha

Nice pics and trip report, although I will admit I skimmed through the reading... haha

8. May 28, 2013 at 1:27 PM
    Manwithoutaplan

Manwithoutaplan the full Monty

Member:
    CA
    Vehicle:
    07 Tacoma Speedway Blue Trd 4x4
    -Nitro 4.56 gears - Arb Front and Rear lockers. -Rear Swing out bumper Curiosity of ( Dept .94) https://www.facebook.com/Dept94 -Tinted, -ProComp 6 inch lift with Icon Coil overs and Bilstein's 7100Resi -315/70/17 - 17x8 in Pro Comp Matte black rims 4.5 bs -East Coast Gear Supply Sliders -ALL Pro EXP LEaf pack -Camburg UCA's -CAB mount CHOP
    very nice./

9. May 28, 2013 at 1:28 PM
    farmerjon

farmerjon Hailing from the land of bucking broncos...

Member:
    First Name:
    farmerjon
    Rugged Rockies
    Vehicle:
    '98 4Runner SR5, 4WD, V6, 3.4L.
    ARB, sleeping platform, Husky liners.
    VERY COOL pics Ben! Thanks for the narrative (yes, I read it all) and the pics! I'm jealous of those roads, I love to drive a challenge in my 4Runner, looks epic! and wet haha.

Thanks for sharing, man! :cool:

10. May 28, 2013 at 3:35 PM
    MapleMoose

MapleMoose Drunk Canadian

Member:
    First Name:
    Ian
    West Kootenays
    Vehicle:
    1996 Tacoma SR5
    3" Eibach Coils, 3" AP Springs, AP 6" Shackles Toytec Diff drop, BAMF Sliders, Deck plate mod,Volt meter, Highbeam mod, PIAA fogs, 18" Magnaflow, LED dash swap, Color matched Satoshi Grille, Custom Rear Plate Bumper
    Course not.

edit. oooooh itza rivva :thumbsup:

11. May 28, 2013 at 3:54 PM
    rleete

rleete Grumpy old man - get off my lawn

Member:
    First Name:
    Roger
    Rochester, NY
    Vehicle:
    Base DC, SR5, TRD Sport
    Billet grill, Westin light bar, LED lights
    Wow. Beautiful pictures.

12. May 28, 2013 at 5:36 PM
    m3bassman

Member:
    First Name:
    Captain Jack Sparrow
    On the seven seas!
    Your loss :p
    :humble:
    Thanks for reading!
    :humble:
    Thanks!

13. May 28, 2013 at 10:05 PM
    scocar

scocar being weird again....still

Member:
    First Name:
    Glitterdick
    In close proximity to an undisclosed location
    Vehicle:
    01 Xcab TRD 4x4 V6 Man. SR5
    OME 881s, Dakars, greasable shackles, Nitrocharger sports, extended exhaust hanger, BAMF BPV relocate, Wheeler's extended brake line, rear diff breather mod, swaybar removed, Pilot backup lights, Redline hood struts, 4Runner 5-stars, Hidden Hitch Class III, 7-pin marine-grade wiring
    Sweet. That plow pic needs to be your new sig. And we need to talk about that tarp under my *cough cough* your tent.

14. May 28, 2013 at 10:08 PM
    tinker_troy

tinker_troy I feel so Devo

Member:
    WA
    very cool

15. May 28, 2013 at 10:26 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    the Pacific Northwest, Exploring
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    King ET Coilovers Camburg Uniball UCAs Alcan 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate Trail Gear U-bolt Flip Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker OBA ARB Twin Comp 15x8 D Window Steelies 33" BFG KM2s Limited Edition Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch PIAA 510 SMR Fog Lights Lightforce 170s Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Optima Yellow Top battery Magnaflow 18" Muffler Braided Steel Brake Lines K&N Drop-in air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Uniden 520xl CB radio 3’ Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1” Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Great pics Ben. A lot of them look very familiar. :rolleyes:

I too wanted to thank Geoff for the hospitality. Awesome chicken tacos

[​IMG]

16. May 28, 2013 at 10:29 PM
    Digiratus

Digiratus Adventurer

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    the Pacific Northwest, Exploring
    Vehicle:
    The RedHead
    King ET Coilovers Camburg Uniball UCAs Alcan 8-Leaf Rear Spring Packs Fox 2.0 Resi Rear Shocks FrankenFab Rear Shock Relocate Trail Gear U-bolt Flip Toytec 1" Extended Shackle 4.88 Nitro Gears ARB Front Locker OBA ARB Twin Comp 15x8 D Window Steelies 33" BFG KM2s Limited Edition Elite Front Bumper Smittybilt X2O 10K Winch PIAA 510 SMR Fog Lights Lightforce 170s Badland Sliders FrankenFab Tire Carrier Swingout bumper w/kitchen BudBuilt Front & Bellypan Skids BAMF Rear Diff Skid Whynter 65 qt. Fridge/Freezer CVT Mt Bachelor RTT Badland Custom Bed Rack GM 140 amp alternator Optima Yellow Top battery Magnaflow 18" Muffler Braided Steel Brake Lines K&N Drop-in air filter ScanGauge II OBDII Scanner Uniden 520xl CB radio 3’ Firestik Adjustable tip antenna Pioneer DEH-P9400BH HU Alpine Amps & Type R components (F) and coaxials (R) Wet Okole Seat Covers Weathertech Digital Liners Deck Plate Mod 1” Diff Drop Carrier Bearing Drop
    Still working on my pics. Here are a couple of teasers

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  17. May 28, 2013 at 10:33 PM
    Blackdawg

Blackdawg Dr. Frankenstein

Member:
    First Name:
    Monte
    Wyoming/St. Louis
    Vehicle:
    96.5 FrankenTaco & 03 Stock dbl cab
    BFG KM2 33x12.5 tires, Wheelers Type B rims, Allpro 1.5'' Wheel spacers w/extended thread lug nuts 2 Alpine 10'' Type Xs 2 Kicker 6X9s 4 Sony 5 1/4s Pioneer 4100 HU Sway bar removed 4 Hella 500 HIDs Frankenstein Leaf packs 1'' lift shackles Eibach coils 5100s front 10'' 5150s rear BAMF BPV bracket Deckplate mod Elite Front bumper Magnaflow 14'' muffler Elite Off Road Rear bumper with Tire gate with jerry can and fold down table, BAMF sliders, Custom Homemade Bed, rack/roof rack, CVT Mt. Shasta Roof Top Tent, 20lb CO2 tank, BAMF diff skid custom front skid, GM CS144 140 amp alternator Blitzpro 21s HAWK side LEDs Blitzpro Custom made side mirror lights, LightForce 240 Blitz llights, Piaa 510 ION fogs, XRC8 Winch w/in cab controls,
    Beautiful guys. Sad I wasn't there :(

Very jealous.

18. May 28, 2013 at 10:59 PM
    707tothe907

707tothe907 Superior Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Jake
    Chico NorCal
    Vehicle:
    05 DCSB Off Road
    Aweome! Love reading trip reports! Thank you for putting the time into throwing this out there for the rest of us.

19. May 29, 2013 at 7:35 AM
    Crom

Crom Time is precious; use it wisely

Member:
    First Name:
    Mr. Sir
    San Diego, CA
    Vehicle:
    2009 Double Cab 4x4 Off Road
    A.R.E. MX Shell & Yakima Rack, Stubbs HD-SKO Rock Sliders, JBA UCA's & OME 885 Coils and nitrochargers, Dakar leaf packs, u-bolt flip, Flat BajaRack, Kenwood VHF/UHF Radio, Aux Battery, Solar Panels, L-Track everywhere, Goodyear Duratracs, Secured tailgate, 7-pin relocation, Inverter 400W all time, In-cab 110v outlets, Rear-seat 12v outlets., Steering shaft TSB, anytime fogs, DTRL toggle switch, aux turn signals, Diff Breather, ImMrYo mirror bracket, ABS Kill switch, (2) Kid Car Seats, and a Glock 23 with night sights.
    Excellent trip report. I've never been in that part of the country before. Thanks for taking the time to write and share. :)

20. May 29, 2013 at 7:51 AM
    Pugga

Pugga Pasti-Dip Free Since 1983

Member:
    First Name:
    Mike
    Massachusetts
    Vehicle:
    '13 Ford F-150 SCREW
    F-150 Mod
    I enjoyed the pictures, looks like a fun trip!

To Top