1. Welcome to Tacoma World!

You are currently viewing as a guest! To get full-access, you need to register for a FREE account.

As a registered member, you’ll be able to:
    • Participate in all Tacoma discussion topics
    • Communicate privately with other Tacoma owners from around the world
    • Post your own photos in our Members Gallery
    • Access all special features of the site

Importing a Tacoma: Has anyone ever had issues?

Discussion in '2nd Gen. Tacomas (2005-2015)' started by joleger, Apr 26, 2010.

1. May 7, 2010 at 8:49 PM
    shawnd2

shawnd2 Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    08 Tacoma Access Cab 4x4 TRD Offroad
    Spoken like a true American! We're Canadians and don't challenge anything!

To the OP, I just read an aticle in the Toronto Star and they mentioned issues with importing a Tacoma due to recall:

"A Toyota Tacoma truck was part of the U.S. recall for a possible sticking throttle. The APA located a Canadian dealer who would perform the recall work, but was unable to get Toyota U.S.A. to delete the vehicle from the outstanding recalls list, which meant the owner could not register the vehicle in Ontario."

Have you actually bought it yet?

Shawn

2. May 8, 2010 at 9:56 AM
    joleger

joleger [OP] Well-Known Member

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    2008 Access Cab 4x4 TRD Sport
    I know all about the recall. I only found out about it after I paid for it. I just brought it across the boarder yesterday and I am waiting for my Form-2. I had a letter from the dealer stating that "all available remedies for all recalls have been completed"...which is true. I don't know if that will fly with RIV but we will see. The good news is I have 45 days to make the modifications to the vehicle(DRLs etc) so if the floor mat thing is on the list of required mods, then hopefully the remedy will be available by then. If not, I can take to have it inspected and if it fails (which it would) then I would have another 45 days to make repairs. So basically, I have 3 months to get the recall taken care of....that is of course if they don't accept my letter. Even if the remedy isn't out within 90 days, based on what RIV.ca says, it sounds like you can ask for an extention. And based on the fact that this recall is about a freakin' floor mat, I have to assume that I would be able to get an extention....but then again this is the government we are talking about.

3. May 8, 2010 at 11:14 AM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    For the running lights have you found the post about adding the relay? That's what I did for mine, that way everything is factory and you don't end up with a after market add on.
    It costs about $80 in parts and takes about 30 minutes to install.

Shawn

4. May 9, 2010 at 4:21 AM
    joleger

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    I have the post book-marked. If they accept my recall clearance letter I will probably get the dealer to do it so that I can get everything done quickly. If they don't accept my letter then I will do it myself....seeing how I will have plenty of time. I'll probably do the Blu Logic at the same time.

If they accept my letter, I should have my inspection form (Form-2) on Mon/Tue.

I think the practice of not allowing vehicles with outstanding recalls to be imported into the country is a good thing. However, I believe this recall is a little overkill(aka BS).....especially after I read this:

Click on "Floor Mats" button, then click on the link on the right that says "Toyota Canada and Transport Canada Complete Floor Mat Investigation":mad:

http://www.toyota.ca/cgi-bin/WebObj...ment-111ttNcbmtf4qLJ6ryDyWM/0.7?n200000e.html

5. May 9, 2010 at 5:05 AM
    joleger

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    The direct links aren't working....here is the text. BTW - My truck has carpet floor mats with two hooks to keep it in place.

Toyota Canada and Transport Canada Complete Floor Mat Investigation

• No Vehicle Defect Identified in Affected Models
    • Canadian-Designed Genuine Toyota and Lexus All-Weather Floor Mats Safe for Affected Models1
    • Extra Consumer Safety Improvement Campaign Undertaken to Ensure Customer Confidence
    • Canada-Unique Safety Campaign Launched
    Following an advisory to Canadian customers in late September to request the removal of any driver's side floor mats from certain Toyota and Lexus vehicles, Toyota Canada Inc (TCI) today announced completion of its investigation into potential accelerator pedal entrapment due to incompatible or unsecured all-weather floor mats. Toyota Canada has worked closely with Transport Canada during this investigation. There is no risk of accelerator pedal entrapment when compatible Toyota and Lexus Canadian-designed all-weather floor mats are properly used in the affected models as they are different in design and material composition from the Toyota-supplied mats in the U.S.A. Properly installed and secured compatible carpet floor mats also do not give rise to pedal entrapment.
    Although no vehicle defect has been identified, given the importance Toyota attaches to customer confidence in their Toyota vehicle, as an extra measure of confidence, a safety improvement campaign will be initiated for Canadian customers to provide:

1. reconfiguration of the accelerator pedal for the 7 affected models2
    2. reconfiguration of the shape of the floor surface to increase the space between the accelerator pedal and the floor for the Lexus ES 350, Camry and Avalon model
    3. installation of a brake override system for the Camry, Avalon and Lexus ES 350, IS 350 and IS 250 models3
    Unique to Toyota Canada, a safety campaign will also be initiated for Toyota Venza vehicles equipped with a genuine Toyota Canada driver's side all-weather floor mat. Until owners of Venza vehicles receive their notice of the campaign, Toyota recommends that they take out any genuine Toyota drivers' side all-weather floor mat in the vehicle. Toyota has determined that the genuine Toyota carpeted floor mat is compatible with the vehicle and recommends at this time that only the original equipment carpet floor mat be installed using the retaining clips provided. Customers should also ensure it is properly installed and secured, that it is not flipped over with the bottom-side up, and that one floor mat is not stacked over another. If a customer does not know or is not sure whether the driver's side mat(s) in the vehicle is correct for or compatible with their vehicle, the customer should remove it. For additional information about floor mats, customers can visit their Toyota dealership, toyota.ca or the Transport Canada website at www.tc.gc.ca
    Finally, Toyota Canada will also be providing an educational advisory to other Toyota and Lexus customers providing information on proper mat installation procedures. Toyota Canada reminds all its customers to register any address or ownership changes to allow for prompt notification.
    The safety of our owners and the public is of utmost importance to Toyota Canada and we will continue to thoroughly investigate and take appropriate measures to address any trends that are identified with respect to this issue.
    Owners who have further questions are asked to contact Toyota Canada directly at 1-888-TOYOTA-8 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-888-TOYOTA-8 end_of_the_skype_highlighting or Lexus Canada at 1-800-265-3987 begin_of_the_skype_highlighting 1-800-265-3987 end_of_the_skype_highlighting.

6. May 9, 2010 at 7:59 AM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    The above article is interesting. Although the government being the government, they will still probably only accept a letter on Toyota letterhead saying there are no outstanding recalls on this paticular truck. Espicially since it is a US truck.

It was a simialr issue with the immobilizers. Everyone (including Transport Canada) knew there was no issue between US and Canada immobilziers. The problem is the government relies soley on the car manufacturers to provide them with admissability information. They don't do there own testing, so that was one way the car manufacturers could say that the cars could not be imported. The same held true for the 8 km/h bumpers, although that too now has been harmonized, although it took a long time.
    Mercedes even requires that you go to there dealer to get any modification done (i.e. DRL's) and I've read charge upto $2500 for a recall clearance letter. You would think you should be allowed to go anywhere to get the modifications done, as long as you have proof that they are done. That's not the case, Mercedes tells Transport Canada that the changes have to be made by them, and Transport Canada listens.

I asked my dealer to install the DRL for me, they told me that it would be $3800.00 plus they need the truck for 4 days. They said the entire wiring harness has to be changed and they would not just add the breaker and jumper wire. If your dealer is willing to add the breaker, then that's great.

Shawn

7. May 11, 2010 at 9:25 AM
    duffy_north

duffy_north Well-Known Member

Member:
    First Name:
    Duff
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD
    JO and Shawn,

Very interesting reading. I am much in the same boat as JO. I have just purchased a 09 TRD Access cab with low mileage, as I could not find a US dealer to sell me new. My dealer knows I'm Canadian and going to take it out of country, but when I explained the process to him and how I intend to get a temporary permit in state, he was OK.

However, as I was planning to go and pick it up and mentioned the recall letter, found out the recall had been issued without the rememdy. I have called Toyota a couple of times and they cannot tell me when the remedy would be issued. They tell me letters will be sent out before June and that the remedy is typically issued a week or two before this, so I'm hoping it happens in a week or two.

I elected to to leave it in the states until it's fixed, but find JO's position about all 'avaiable remedies' very interesting. I will wait to see how that works out for you, and may follow your lead if RIV accepts it.

I was worried about bringing it in and the 45 days expiring.

JO, please post your results when you hear.

Also, on DRL, I ordered the parts from my US dealer and intend to do the fix myself. I called my local Toyota dealer and he said it would cost about $300, so think they use the jumper relay trick. Makes sense if it is a $40 option on the new vehicle.

My US dealer said they didn't know how to install DRL which is why I'll do it myself, following the instructions on this site. I did send a note to Toyota asking them if there was a service methodology or bulletin that I could refer my dealer to, but haven't heard from them.

I agree with alot of the guys about the $ to be saved. By buying 1 year old with less than 4,000 miles, I'm saving $10,000, even after the small hassles.

Duff

8. May 11, 2010 at 10:38 AM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    It's probably been answered by now (haven't read the whole thread), but most people don't buy in the US mainly because 1) most dealerships have rules against selling NEW vehicles (used are allowed) to Canadians, but there are ways around it. 2) most people don't know how, and 3) it depends on the exchange rate. I looked at buying mine in the US mainly because I wanted a regular cab (which isn't available in Canada) instead of the access cab, but with the exchange rate at the time the regular cab would have cost me the same as an access cab in Canada.

9. May 11, 2010 at 5:48 PM
    joleger

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    Hey Duff,

I was talking to my local dealer today....he told me worst case scenario the remedy will be available late summer.:eek: But then he said that they are ahead of schedule and that it should be sooner than that. If need be I will take the car back to the US if the fix is available sooner. That June thing sounds promising. I can only hope.

I'm not too worried about the 45 days....it say on RIV.ca if you can't meet the deadline to call them. So I have to assume you can get an extension.

My local dealer was clueless about the DRLs....I ordered the parts today and I will do them myself. I should have gotten the US dealer to do it...but I didn't think about it. I may order the Blu Logic module and do that at the same time.

I crossed the border on Friday am and I haven't heard anything from RIV about my Form-2. I think I will give them until Thu/Fri and then give them a call to see if they can give me an update. My status through the "Track My Case" button hasn't changed since I made my payment. I will let you know if they accept it.

As for saving money....I saved anywhere from 6-10K on my 2008 Access Cab TRD Sport. This recall thing is the only real issue I've had. Everything else was just the dealer being a dealer when you ask them to do something out of the norm. Frustrating...but not really an issue. Took me forever for them to fax me the title. :mad:

I will give everyone an update once I have some news

10. May 11, 2010 at 6:09 PM
    duffy_north

Member:
    First Name:
    Duff
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD
    JO,

Good luck with RIV. I hope you can be the poster child for the rest of us if successful. What your dealer said about the fix by end of summer is scarey, as I don't trust people in Florida answering pat questions on a Recall 800 line who gave me the by June line. I have a note at work to call them again tomorrow for an update. Perhaps I will run down and get my truck so at least it is sitting in my driveway and I don't have to worry about it or the dealer with my $. I already wired the money. But not worried about losing interest or anything, just if something happens to the truck in the meawhile.

When I said I saved 10K, I was comparing to a new 2010. It breaks down as 6K difference on list price, 2K by avoiding frieght PDI and security registration, and 2K for being 1 year old with 3,500 miiles on it. Actually, crazy her in Ottawa, they want 1,480 for Frieght & PDI while in the northern US states I looked at they only ask 800. Almost double in Canada. We get hosed here.

Once again, good luck with RIV. If you don't get the form II, perhaps worthwhile calling them to explain the situation and how minor the fix is, ie take the mat out for now.

In any event, let me know how you make out. Take care and good luck.

Duff

11. May 11, 2010 at 6:18 PM
    duffy_north

Member:
    First Name:
    Duff
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD
    JO,

One other thing I meant to ask. It sounds like you got a copy of your certificate of title faxed to you, and I presume you then faxed it to the US border folks who need the 72 hours so that when you got there you just drove through. What border point did you go through?

In going through Hill Island or Ogdensburg (close to Ottawa) both sites say they need the original certificate and two copies, so I had to find a place to store my truck on the US side for a few days while they do their thing. The guy I spoke to handles both crossing points says very few points accept a fax in advance. It's one of the small hassles I have had to deal.

Also, you mentioned you should have asked your dealer to install the DRL. Mine said thed didn't know how, so not sure you would have had much success there. I did ask Toyota corporate if there was a procedure or bulletin I could refer the dealer to, but haven't heard yet.

take care,

Duff

12. May 11, 2010 at 6:51 PM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    That doesn't surprise me about the drl. My US dealer told me adding the relay and wiring harness is something they would not normally do. They would just look up the part # for the computer/wiring harness for drl and replace the entire thing (thus the 4 days and over 3 grand). He said they don't even know what components are different, they just go by part numbers. Makes sense if you think about it.

Good luck both of you with the recall issues.

Shawn

13. May 11, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    Duck760

Duck760 The Duck

Member:
    Why is it cheeper to purches it here?

14. May 12, 2010 at 4:10 AM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    That's what canadians would like to know as well!

Although to be fair, this only becomes a big factor when the US dollar and Canadian dollar get close to being on par. The last couple of years the US has been in such trouble that your dollar is worth quite a bit less then it used to be.
    Some things a don't understand like freight and pdi on a Honda civic. They are built 30 mins from my house yet I pay $1400 and someone in California only pays $500.
    Or tires, I drove 1.5 hours to Buffalo and bought tires for $86 a piece. The same tires here were $209 a piece.

Years ago Americans where coming to Canada because the US dollar was so strong so that even with numerical difference it was still cheaper for americans to come here.

Shawn

15. May 12, 2010 at 6:13 AM
    duffy_north

Member:
    First Name:
    Duff
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD
    In addition to the exchange rates, they will tell you it's because Canadians pay more taxes so to make the same amount of profit, they have to charge more. Additionally, in Canada there is a smaller population that is spread out more so that that introduces some ineffeciencies in terms of transportation etc.

16. May 12, 2010 at 8:53 AM
    joleger

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    So my "all available remedies" letter didn't work.:( On the upside, getting an extension will not be an issue. RIV understands that the remedy isn't available yet.:)

I would rather have it in my driveway

The closest price I could find for a 2008 Access Cab TRD was 6K above what I bought mine for. Even though I had to pay $600 for shipping I am still way ahead.:)

I went through Calais, Maine. Once I got a copy of the title, I faxed that along with my bill of sale to the US side of the border. When I got the truck to the border, I went in the US side with the original title, they stamped it, and that was it. When I got to the Canadian side, I just went in with my newly stamped title and my bill of sale. No issues there. Sounds like it is different every where you go....which is a little weird.

So that's the latest......I guess it is "hurry up and wait" time. C'mon Toyota....get your ass in gear and release the fix.

Cheers

J.O.

17. May 12, 2010 at 2:27 PM
    duffy_north

Member:
    First Name:
    Duff
    Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2009 TRD
    Sorry to hear the all available remedies didn't work. I just called Toyota again and 'remedy is not issued and we don't have a date when it will be'.

I might do what you did, go get it and let it sit in my driveway.

Will let you know if I hear anything on the remedy.

18. May 12, 2010 at 5:21 PM
    joleger

Member:
    Saint John, NB
    Vehicle:
    Ditto

19. May 12, 2010 at 6:04 PM
    Okkine

Okkine Well-Known Member

Member:
    Alberta
    Vehicle:
    1998 Tacoma, V6, Manual Transmission, 4x4
    Also, alot of Canadian dealers have that "no haggle" policy that they stick to, meaning you pay what ever is on the sticker on the window, so you can often get a better base price to go with what everyone mentioned above.

20. May 12, 2010 at 6:59 PM
    shawnd2

Member:
    First Name:
    Shawn
    Toronto, Ontario, Canada
    Vehicle:
    That sounds pretty much the same thing I had to do with the title. I faxed it 72 hours ahead, kept proof of the fax, then had it stamped at by the US customs. Took less then 10 minutes, they didn't even come out to look at my truck.
    I helped my cousin buy a new Audi S5, he didn't bother faxing the title to the US Border.
    When he got to the Canadian side to cross, he asked about it. They said "we don't care about that, as that just for the americans". My concern for him as if he ever got pulled over etc. in the US, it may show as not being properly exported, although I doubt a local cop would know to look.

This whole recall business brings back memories of the immobilizer issue. I remeber seeing a guy on the news with the exact same truck as mine (colour, model etc.) 2 days after I imported mine saying that the RIV was not letting him import due to the immobilizer. I think he ended up waiting 8 months before he finally got it licenced.

I was lucky, as my dealer didn't even charge me a deposit. I just had to bring a cheque for $27,500 US ($25,588 CND I think) and that was it. I really didn't have anything to lose until I actually picked up the truck. I'm not sure what the used prices are now for 2008's, but at the time $26K for a brand new truck was a great deal.

Good luck guys, I hope Toyota clears this up soon.

Shawn

Products Discussed in

To Top